cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G74SX error unable to mount boot volume

kb0sdq
Level 10
Howdy folks,
Mt wife's G74SX bestbuy machine has been giving us fits lately. It has been throwing unable to mount boot volume error and start a windows repair which runs and says unable to repair. then reboots with a check disk run which ends in a bsod. It has been doing this for a couple weeks now. Yesterday it kept erroring out with the uncountable boot vol. she turned it off waited 10 seconds pressed the button and it booted right up no problems. Today she got home fired up the computer and it went into a check disk run went to the load screen with the ROG asus banner and froze there hard drive light was solid on after 10 minutes she turned it off and turned it back on and it booted right up. She has a lot of school stuff on it. so really not looking forward to a re install. she does have most of her stuff backed up. this machine is stock still has everything it had when I bought it for her. I was thinking maybe the boot drive might be dyeing. It just went off warranty November.
So any suggestions would be great.

Happy ROG_n

Doug
6 REPLIES 6

Myk_SilentShado
Level 15
Hey Doug, it sounds like your wife's drive is suffering bit of a corruption in the boot record. If she's in Windows right now bring up command prompt as Administrator and type in bootrec /fixboot then press enter, then type exit and reboot.

Let me know how it goes 🙂

kb0sdq
Level 10
Howdy Myk
typed it in as you wrote it here is the response
"bootrec is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file"

this is win 7 hp 64bit
Will have to wait for it to mess up so it goes into win recovery and then try it.

Happy ROG_n

Doug

Myk_SilentShado
Level 15
Damn that sucks mate. OK we'll try it this way, when you get your wife's laptop online again. Ahh hell, do you have a copy of Win7 on DVD or USB? if so, pop the DVD in, or USB and boot off it(as if you're installing again). Click on repair computer, then select the installation that you wish to repair...there should be a command prompt choice...select it. When in Windows RE try using bootrec /fixboot and see what happens. If it's a no go, try this command bootrec /rebuildbcd

kb0sdq
Level 10
OK folks,,
Update to my problem. I tried the above suggestions but got no where, so I did the F9 on boot and did factory image. computer is running like new again. Wife is happy. You know the saying "Happy wife happy life" lol all is good
The for the advice.
Happy ROG_n

Doug

Myk_SilentShado
Level 15
Glad you got it sorted mate 🙂

kb0sdq
Level 10
Okay folks,
A bit of a update. Thought I had this trouble fixed by doing the factory image. Well few days later it started bsod'ing again and "can not find boot volume' So I got her a new ssd drive picked up a Intel 240g ssd from bestbuy computer is back working again. Guess it was the drive dyeing Anyhow, thanks again for all the help.
Happy ROG_n

Doug