cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G74SX black screen no boot

Tommyloper
Level 7
ROG G74SX*
Can anyone help me. I recently bought this laptop from someone. He started a factory rest on it but didn’t let it finish. Shut it down in the middle of it. When I got it of course it was in a boot loop. Got it out of that done a factory restore and reinstalled windows 10. I went to asus webpage and downloaded the newest updates. I started with the vga driver. It had to uninstall the one reboot and install the new driver. Got to the reboot. A window popped up and said 122 of 155 files uploaded. Reboot? I clicked yes. It come back on with windows failed to install correctly. And back in the bootloop again. So I went into bios settings to set it to boot from optical drive to redo windows and reboot it. It shut down and I have not been able to get nothing but a black screen the power light and charge light to come on. I can hear the optical drive running when power on but that’s it. Can anyone help me with this I have done everything I could find on the net about it to no avail. Is it toast or is there a remedy? Thanks for your help in advance
3 REPLIES 3

A_Guy
Level 9
Can you get it to boot form USB instead? Try a USB dongle with the ISO on it. I had to do a recovery some time back and also could not get my optical disk (blu ray) to read. I thikn I can only play regular audio CDs in that thing these days.

I have had a similar appearing thing with recent Windows updates and an external monitor. It looks dead but if I press shift key (or tap power key - tap, not hold down) the screen wakes up and shows me the progress meter. Even while the screen is dark I can see the disk activity light blinking.

GA502IV, AMD Ryzen 7 4800HS 2.9GHz with Radeon Graphics
16GB DDR3 RAM
Boot Drive: SSD NVMe PC SN530 (1 TB)
Data Drive: WD BLACK SN750 NVMe SSD (1 TB)
GPU NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 6.0 GB
Windows 10 Pro 64bit

G74SX-CST1-CBIL, i7 2630QM 2GHz (It just won't die!)
12GB DDR3 RAM @1333MHz
Boot Drive: Samsung 860 EVO (1 TB)
Data Drive: Samsung 850 EVO (500 GB)
GTX560M 3GB DDR5
BIOS 203
Windows 10 Pro 64bit

Gps3dx
Level 12
Tommyloper wrote:
ROG G74SX*
Can anyone help me. I recently bought this laptop from someone. He started a factory rest on it but didn’t let it finish. Shut it down in the middle of it. When I got it of course it was in a boot loop. Got it out of that done a factory restore and reinstalled windows 10. I went to asus webpage and downloaded the newest updates. I started with the vga driver. It had to uninstall the one reboot and install the new driver. Got to the reboot. A window popped up and said 122 of 155 files uploaded. Reboot? I clicked yes. It come back on with windows failed to install correctly. And back in the bootloop again. So I went into bios settings to set it to boot from optical drive to redo windows and reboot it. It shut down and I have not been able to get nothing but a black screen the power light and charge light to come on. I can hear the optical drive running when power on but that’s it. Can anyone help me with this I have done everything I could find on the net about it to no avail. Is it toast or is there a remedy? Thanks for your help in advance

Hi there,
1st of all - don't panic... it's a simple windows with a little bios configuration issue - the fix is "doable" - you just need patience.

What I don't understand from your post is how you plan to activate windows 10... do you have retail product key - or did you made win7->win10 free upgrade.
if the later is the case - and you got into bootloop/blackscreen and have not activated win10 or have not been connected online for more then 10-15 min - your activation process may have issues if you're going to format & install win10 from scratch.
to solve such issue - install win7 SP1, upgrade to win10 USING THE METHOD MENTIONED IN MY STICKY GUIDE ( see my sig or the sticky thread in this sub-forum ).
then either stay on that upgraded OS, or format and clean install win10 ( which I suggest ).

either way and WHATEVER YOU DO - PLEASE READ MY STICKY THREAD ABOUT A GUIDE FOR WINDOWS INSTALLATION - UEFI METHOD.

To solve you issue there are key things you need to know:
1. what kind of boot you plan on having ? old-bios & MBR formatted drive OR UEFI boot method & GPT formatted drive.
2. after you decide #1, you need to config bios ( READ MY GUIDE )
3. get windows 10 installation on USB & install it AS I INSTRUCT IN MY GUIDE ( special boot for each #1 case )
4. NEVER EVER use Asus graphics drivers - THEY ARE OLD for ANY OS 7/8/8.1/10 - DOWNLOAD IT from the GPU manufacturer site ( NVIDIA or AMD ).
5. If possible DO NOT use optical drive - THEY ARE SLOW AS HELL - get A USB and put windows installation on it.
Asus G751JT
Samsung EVO 850 120GB + 1TB HDD 7200RPM
Cleaned installed Win 10 HOME
My Guides:

• [POST=538713]ROG LAPTOPS: COMPLETE DRIVER LIST ![/POST]
  • [POST=538713]How to install windows 8/8.1/10 on any UEFI supported laptop the PROPER way[/POST]
  • [POST=538711]HOW TO (EASILY!) UPGRADE FROM WIN7 SP1/8.1 WITHOUT GOING THROUGH THE UPGRADE PROCESS ITSELF ![/POST]
  • [POST=605307]HOW TO REMAP FN+KEY AND SPECIAL BUTTONS: "STEAM", "ROG" & "SHADOWPLAY"[/POST]
  • [POST=539663]Win 10 x64: SETUP USB @SUPERSPEED, NO HANG-UPS! | ACCELERATES USB 3.0/2.0 TRANSFER RATE SPEED TWICE![/POST]

A_Guy
Level 9
Did you get your setup issue resolved?

GA502IV, AMD Ryzen 7 4800HS 2.9GHz with Radeon Graphics
16GB DDR3 RAM
Boot Drive: SSD NVMe PC SN530 (1 TB)
Data Drive: WD BLACK SN750 NVMe SSD (1 TB)
GPU NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 6.0 GB
Windows 10 Pro 64bit

G74SX-CST1-CBIL, i7 2630QM 2GHz (It just won't die!)
12GB DDR3 RAM @1333MHz
Boot Drive: Samsung 860 EVO (1 TB)
Data Drive: Samsung 850 EVO (500 GB)
GTX560M 3GB DDR5
BIOS 203
Windows 10 Pro 64bit