cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G74Sx ASUS USB 2.0 Webcam - Device acknowledged but not working

juanakutis
Level 7
Hi guys!

Recently I cleaned my Windows registry with CCleaner and I don't know if it damaged part of my webcam driver in there. In the Device Manager, I have got the following message: "Code 19: Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged".

I tryed this Microsoft solution, but it's not working: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc772156%28v=ws.10%29.aspx

Well, like anyone, I try to uninstall the driver and reinstall it, but I got very surprised when visited the G74Sx drivers download page, because doesn't have any webcam driver there, just the utilitary ASUS Virtual Camera, who needs to be installed AFTER the webcam driver.

Then I try fo find this webcam driver over the all internet, but I haven't sucess in my search, them I decided contact the support in Asus Brazil, but the support in INCREDIBLEMENT instructed me to format my partition and reinstall Windows there, just to fix a problem with a webcam driver. OMG! It's not necessary, let's ought.

Well, then I'm here to ask for the forum friends, for some solution to make this webcam works again and for the a link to download this driver.

Thanks guys!
8 REPLIES 8

Pitcher1
Level 9
ASUS camera use OS bundle driver, so you can not find driver in support site.

juanakutis
Level 7
Ok, I already tryed install it using the Windows Update, but when I uninstall the driver and reboot, the Windows Update finds a generic driver and tries install it, but the installation fails and Windows Update recommend me to visit the device fabricant site to download the driver for a manual installation.

dstrakele
Level 14
Use Windows System Restore to restore your system to the time before you used CCleaner and had the webcam problem.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

juanakutis
Level 7
This was one of my firsts options, but the system restore utilitary just show me restore points saved after the CCleaner use.
Is hard to believe that ASUS doesn't have a simple webcam driver available to download. Is inaceptable to format the partition just to fix a webcam driver problem. Certainly there must be a non extreme solution.

juanakutis wrote:
This was one of my firsts options, but the system restore utilitary just show me restore points saved after the CCleaner use.
Is hard to believe that ASUS doesn't have a simple webcam driver available to download. Is inaceptable to format the partition just to fix a webcam driver problem. Certainly there must be a non extreme solution.

Any change or update to Windows, particularly to the Windows registry, has the potential to hose your system. That's why it's good practice to create a Windows System Restore Point and/or backup your system PRIOR to using a utility like CCleaner.

Once the registry is damaged by an inadvertent deletion, it's likely even if ASUS did provide a webcam driver, it would fail to install the same as the Windows Plug-n-Play driver.

The non-extreme solutions of Windows System Restore and Windows Backup & Restore were available to you. You just neglected to use them. Keep them in mind for next time....
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

do the new ones still use power4gear?

does it still have the option to turn off the webcam?

cl-Albert
US Customer Loyalty Agent
juanakutis wrote:

This may be obvious by now, but it appears the G74Sx and more recent models like the G75Vw just use the built-in webcam driver provided by Windows, so there is no separate webcam driver on the ASUS download site available or required.

I usually try to avoid messing with software when possible because I'm not good at fixing it, but just wondering if Windows Repair is an option, or if CCleaner had any options to selectively 'unclean' or undo any changes it's made (I've never used it, but might be a nice feature to have in the next version for cases like this).

Milimar
Level 7
Have you tried this ? https://www.asus.com/ROG_ROG/G74SX/#support_Download_30. There is a driver ASUS Virtual Camera Utility . Under utilities. I just did updated the other day because my brother said I looked blurry when I move. Still seems that way. Know of a fix?