cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G74sx and WoW (Games in General) and throttling doubts

Quandth
Level 7
I'm a new proud owner of a G74SX-xt1 as of yesterday :D, I have the ram maxed out to 16gb and downloaded the new Nvidia drivers yesterday but not yet installed them.

I did a very extensive research on the laptop before buying it and i have a few doubts.

1.- I bought the laptop mainly to play WoW at ultra settings, and for what I have being researching there are some users that have experienced problems with the game running on the integrated video card and not the Nvidia 560M. I don’t have a point of comparison so I don’t know if the FPS that I’m getting are good or not. Is there somewhere I can check that when the game is running, it is using the Nvidia GPU and not the other video card?

2.- Also there are some issues that I have read in this forum about some G74SX throttling, how I check if this is happening with my laptop and how do I solve it in case it is happening?, it is a permanent fix or i should start always some program (throttlestop) before i start gamming?, also the throttling issue happens when the system reaches certain temperature or as soon as the game starts?

3.- I plan to use the G74sx like it came, but for what i have read almost everyone in this forum did a clean Windows 7 install. Do you really recommend it to a really no IT knowledge guy like me, I really don't have a clue of how to do this and i really don't want to fry a new shinny laptop.

Sorry if my English is not good,l hope you can help me.
9 REPLIES 9

4thrun
Level 7
well, notebooks are like cars, you don't have to know how exactly is engine built, but you should be able to check oil and other basic stuff. So with notebooks reinstallation of windows is also very simple. Just be sure to have the CD with drivers.

as for throttling, it's easy to spot - just launch a game and plug off the power cable (in other words - switch to the battery) and if you notice heavy lags every 5-7 secs then your notebook has this issue. I believe it only occurs when notebook is running on the battery?

Symb
Level 8
Well, this forum is full of instructions about fixing the throttle-issues etc... Just install throttlestop, check the right settings from this here forums and make it start with windows, problem solved.
And g74sx never stops using the nvidia 560m.
Strangely enough being an ugly game in modern standards, the WoW is pretty HW-hog.
G74sx can run it with ultra, but you need to play with the settings a bit, and perhaps OC the gpu to get the smoothest experience. Ditch the useless ultra shadows etc... Install nvidia inspector and slide your gpu to 900MHz and memory to around 1700-1750ish.
And HWinfo64 is nice program to make sure your clocks are where you want them to be, and temps stay down.

I don't think you HAVE to make a fresh win install, just try to get rid of the useless bloatware.
*** G74SX-TZ226V (European model) | Kingston HyperX SSD 120gb Sata-III
"STOCK" BIOS 202 (If it's not broken, why fix it.) *** <- Sold 😞

Thanks for the replies.

The Laptop without the power cord connected starts lagging awfully when in WoW, but as far as I have read it is normal as it should be connected to operate at 100% when gaming.

I have find here in the forums about the Throttlestop fix and will give it a try as soon as I get home, I will download HWinfo64 also to check it out

A friend told me to download MSI Afterburner to do some tweaking to the GPU, but also he told me that in the MSI hardware monitor it should be reflected that once I start WoW the GPU temp, Core voltage, Core clock and memory clock graphs should go up and that will mean that the GPU is working with WoW, is this correct?.

dstrakele
Level 14
+1 @Symb! Good Points!

And don't forget about DPC Latency. Run DPC Latency Checker and see if you can reduce it as much as possible by updating drivers, particularly if you are running an Atheros WLAN driver (confirm it is version 9.2.1.432 or later). DPC Latency will rob you of performance.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

dstrakele wrote:
+1 @Symb! Good Points!

And don't forget about DPC Latency. Run DPC Latency Checker and see if you can reduce it as much as possible by updating drivers, particularly if you are running an Atheros WLAN driver (confirm it is version 9.2.1.432 or later). DPC Latency will rob you of performance.

Thanks I will do check on the WLAN drivers, they are stock and I really don't know which version are they. I will update as you suggest. I have found here in the forum the v9.2.1.470, I will update to those if needed.

I use Leatrix Latency Fix, which is a must to reduce in-game latency in WoW. I will try DPC Latency checker with the Leatrix Latency fix disabled and enabled to see if there is a difference.

dstrakele
Level 14
Check in Device Manager under "Network adapters" for your Wireless Network Adapter manufacturer. ASUS Laptops also use Intel WLAN cards. The Properties dialog will display your current driver version.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

ColonelS
Level 9
I'm not sure if is just me or but I seriously recommend running off your G-series laptop on AC power and don't forget to remove the battery if you are at home gaming.

As for my ES G74SX, when i game on certain games using only battery, i do experience slight frame rates drop. When running under full AC power it doesnt seems to have this issue.

Not sure why though, maybe cause mine is engineering sample. . . . Sigh
Click ->Republic of Gamers<- official Facebook page

why do you recommend taking the battery out while at home and plugged in? I figured you would just leave it in all the time.

Do you want to kill your battery by constant charging? if you use your latop with stationary power source you have to take out battery and charge it one at month
It's recommendation from most manufacturers