cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G74SX A1 Production stopped?

ClintonD
Level 7
Hello guys,
I was about to purchase a G74SX A1 from B&H Online store as it is a reliable store & had a very good price compared to others.But today when I checked the site it said that this product has been discontinued by the manuf.Not only the A1 but several other models.
When I contacted their reps. they too said that the production is stopped.
Is this true guys?
34 REPLIES 34

wanfeilwong
Level 7
Most likely they have only stopped the production of the old configurations with the i7 2630qm processor. Other than that the new stock configurations are basically the same.
Asus G74sx-xn1

Intel 6230 WiFi/BT | Seagate Momentus XT | Razer Orochi | Sony Ericsson MW600

wanfeilwong wrote:
Most likely they have only stopped the production of the old configurations with the i7 2630qm processor. Other than that the new stock configurations are basically the same.

Wait... does this mean if I already got a G74SX... I got a crappy one?

wanfeilwong wrote:

gg31hh wrote:

Not at all.

JRd1st
Level 12
I knew it, that's why they got suddenly worse. They dug into the reject bins to fill the last orders.
Read the User's Manual for more info. 😄

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor
Intel Series 510 120 GB SSD

Drivers, Apps and How To's
Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com

BrodyBoy
Level 10
ClintonD wrote:
Hello guys,
I was about to purchase a G74SX A1 from B&H Online store as it is a reliable store & had a very good price compared to others.But today when I checked the site it said that this product has been discontinued by the manuf.Not only the A1 but several other models.
When I contacted their reps. they too said that the production is stopped.
Is this true guys?

The DH71 model is exactly the same configuration with a slightly faster processor. Amazon usually has the A1 in stock, alongside the DH71. (Sorry for my ignorance, but do you guys have Amazon there?)

ClintonD
Level 7
@BrodyBOY
I am going to tell a relative of mine who stays in NY..
There is a A1 available on J&R site for 1479$.Should I get it?becoz all the other sites have prices above 1550$ and as shipping is in NY 150$ tax additional.

ClintonD wrote:
@BrodyBOY
I am going to tell a relative of mine who stays in NY..
There is a A1 available on J&R site for 1479$.Should I get it?becoz all the other sites have prices above 1550$ and as shipping is in NY 150$ tax additional.

I wouldn't purchase unless you can get a guarantee in writing that they will exchange the unit for a new one if you encounter problems within some time interval (example: 14 days).

It is a lot easier these days to encounter problems on ANY electronic gadget, right out of the box. You don't want them to be YOUR problem.

EDIT: It looks like J&R has such a Return/Exchange Policy: http://www.jr.com/information/help.jsp#returns
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

I didn't mean to scare you! Keep in mind that a forum like this is going to attract a lot more owners who are having problems & troubleshooting, rather than those who are happily using their perfectly-functioning laptops.

Occasional issues can affect any of the G-series models (or any laptop, for that matter). Some units have had bad touchpads, some owners have experienced keyboard issues they can't resolve with software or BIOS fixes, a few have had displays or speakers that get balky. Again, any laptop could have hardware issues, and I don't meant to imply that you're likely to get a problem unit.

I'd recommend that your uncle set it up and just use it normally for a few days. Have him type on the keyboard, use the touchpad, play some audio, etc. Basically, just use the laptop and make sure nothing weird pops up. (Have him make an effort to use the touchpad as much as he can.)