cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G73SW-A1 Screen goes Blank then idles

Retired
Not applicable
The problem started recently, was hoping to play some FalloutNV, game loaded played for a few minutes then the game suddenly freezes and sound gets all scratchy and the screen goes blank and the computer just idles and i have to hold the power button to turn it off. I thought it was a minor issue and just needed a restart but i tried it again and does the same thing, I tried other games (SC2 and Witcher2) but the same thing happens game freezes and screen goes blank. I was thinking something is wrong with my video card, so i unplugged my power cord and tried the games again, played with no problems but of course the games were sluggish but the games didnt freeze. Anyone have any advice? owned my G73SW-A1 for about 3 months now, first time ever happening to me.
12 REPLIES 12

Chastity
Level 10
Try detaching the battery and play on AC only. Let me know how it goes.
[SIGPIC]Kicking Ass Since Today[/SIGPIC]

Retired
Not applicable
Just tried playing without the AC plugged in, all my games run fine (but of course with fps issues) but once i plug the AC back in, it runs smooth for maybe 15-20 mins then some of the textures turn artifact green and when I alt-tab my desktop is also artifact green and when i move the screen around it kinda fixes itself, but when i unplug the AC it fixes itself. I have already tried reformatting to factory settings and updated all drivers. I think my video card is busted?

Retired
Not applicable
whoops mis-read your post Chastity, I will try playing with the battery out and AC plugged in the next chance I get.

Chastity
Level 10
OK, let me know how it goes.

Retired
Not applicable
Just tried it, Battery out, AC plugged in. Still getting the screen and textures going artifact green, also to note when I press down on the lower right of the laptop to the right of the touchpad, it makes the screen disappear and sometimes clears the the green artifacts but most of the time, makes the laptop freeze up or turn off.

Chastity
Level 10
k... sounds to me something is loose. time for RMA.

Retired
Not applicable
@Rurilused - I have the identical problem. G73sw-a1. The screen used to flicker (a bit like an old television signal with an antenna) when using applications like games (Elder Scrolls) or demanding apps (Second Life.) Then it started to appear when I boot (during the Asus logo) without touching the area below the keyboard. (( It's the same area on my laptop -- the area to the right of the touchpad -- that can create the same flicker-to-black that occurs when I load those applications ))

I'm at a complete loss. Would love to avoid the whole backup process before RMA if at all possible. Pretty bummed (but glad to hear I'm not the only g73sw-a1 user with the issue)

Retired
Not applicable
RRasmussen wrote:
@Rurilused - I have the identical problem. G73sw-a1. The screen used to flicker (a bit like an old television signal with an antenna) when using applications like games (Elder Scrolls) or demanding apps (Second Life.) Then it started to appear when I boot (during the Asus logo) without touching the area below the keyboard. (( It's the same area on my laptop -- the area to the right of the touchpad -- that can create the same flicker-to-black that occurs when I load those applications ))

I'm at a complete loss. Would love to avoid the whole backup process before RMA if at all possible. Pretty bummed (but glad to hear I'm not the only g73sw-a1 user with the issue)

Just learned that an external monitor, when plugged in during the wonkiness that can't be suppressed (temporarily) by pressing around on different parts of the laptop [above the F8 keys seems to work too], displays the image just fine.

A physical bit not connecting to the right physical bob? (I wish this were just a driver issue)

I would arrange for an RMA since you have a long time left on your warranty. Be VERY clear in your letter to them what you've found out, this way they have no excuse for not finding anything wrong.
Read the User's Manual for more info. 😄

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor
Intel Series 510 120 GB SSD

Drivers, Apps and How To's
Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com