cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G73s running hot and I'm worried!

aaabbbeee
Level 7
Alright, so....

My laptop has been running a little hot recently. I've been using it a lot more since I had surgery a few weeks ago, and haven't been able to do much else.

Games have been running a little choppy. sometimes they run great, and then the nest minute they don't. I think it has to do with the heating.

here is a pic of a hardware monitor that I started right as my laptop started. it started at around 44c and hit 79c just browsing the web.

It's my understanding that the GPU temps are high. I've read that this can be caused by dust buildup, so I opened up the hatch on the bottom of the computer and used a hair dryer on cool mode to blow any dust out from there. not much came out, but it helped a little. the temps before I blew out the dust were about 84c just browsing the net.

I also hear that repasting the GPU might fix it. Another possibility is a virus? IDK, but I'm probably not in the best shape to fix either right now.

sorry if this is a little messy, I just hope that someone here can put on the right path.

Thanks.
3 REPLIES 3

xeromist
The bottom hatch isn't really going to give you access to the heat sinks where dust accumulation is the most detrimental. I would direct air into the exhaust vents to break up dust bunnies and hopefully either have the dust come out immediately or at least give the fans a chance to blow it out when you turn the machine on. If the dust is really caked in or if you are a smoker then you might have to open the machine up to clean the stuck on stuff that won't blow out.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

I actually did blow back into the exhaust vents. Not a smoker, but there was definitely some dust that go out. I think it helped, but it's still running to hot, right? I don't want to wreck the fans by blowing on them to much. Is there any other things that I could do?

I've started looking for some repair services that might be able to repaste it for me, but I'm not sure if that's something I should send it to asus for. I've had it for just under two years, but I'm not certain.

xeromist
Any reputable PC service shop should be able to clean and repaste a laptop. It's not something that is ASUS specific.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…