cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G73JW Battery/AC Adapter Tip Overheating

craigzlist
Level 7
I've been having a strange issue the past few days. After my laptop is on for approximately 10-15 minutes, the ATK program starts switching back and forth from Battery Mode to AC Mode constantly. When I checked the AC connection I noticed the metal tip that goes into the DC jack was very hot. By hot I mean I couldn't hold it for more than a second without burning my fingers. I then checked the battery and noticed it also was very hot where I couldn't even hold it in my hands. At first I thought it was my AC adapter since it is kind of frayed at certain points, so I purchased a new one on Amazon with the same voltage/amp specs. The issue was still occurring, so I removed the battery and to my amazement the ATK program still says its switching from Battery Mode to AC mode which is impossible since I removed the battery and the system never shut off during this time.

I updated the BIOS on the machine to the latest revision for my model which is 205. I then did a fresh installation of Windows 7, but neither worked. I even drained the battery completely and tried to recharge it. The battery does recharge so it's definitely getting power from the AC adapter, but the overheating still occurs. I tried blowing dust out of the fans with an air compressor, but hardly any came out. I also checked system temperatures using HWMonitor which report the CPU at 50 celsius idle. The laptop usually runs at 35-40 celsius idle, but I'm thinking the battery overheating might have been raising the temperature somehow, or the sensors on the motherboard are faulty.

I had the motherboard replaced on my laptop back in August of 2011, and haven't had any issues until this point. I think it's the motherboard that's the issue, but only because I can't think of what else it could be. I currently have a ticket open with Asustek Support, but wanted to post on these forums to see if anyone has experienced these issues or has a different perspective. Thank you for your time.
16 REPLIES 16

I have checked the pin and it is still in tact! I have already purchased TWO new chargers thinking it was just a bad cord. I'm thinking the bay my be a little loose but am afraid to open the back and check it out.

Okay. It was really easy once i really thought about it. My laptop has had 3 or 4 new motherboards all because of the same issue (I can't remember because it has been going back and forth. They have had it more than i have.)

First i trashed the asus and made a solemn promise never to buy anything from them again. Then I bought a Dell desktop.

Problem solved. Simple.

It might be a dell but it works perfectly and is lightning fast. Just needs a new g/a and i will be laughing.

Hi,

except for the overheating problem, I have the same issue with my G73sw :
the laptop confuses
power plug connected with -> says on battery, discharging (no overheating, but the battery is discharging !!
power plug connected without battery -> still works, no overheating, but the battery is not charging
power plug disconnected with battery --> says "power plug connected", but runs on battery, and discharges battery

sometimes after 1 hour the laptop seems to get into "ac connected" mode again, and charges the battery.
I reinstalled several times, but this occurs event with the laptop shut down (the charging light does not get on when plugging the ac adapter).
My battery if fully working when it is charged (10.2% wear only) and the pins on the battery and the pc are clean.
My adapter is genuine, fully working and the pins are clean, the cord is in perfect health.
I tried with another genuine asus adapter too -> same issue.

For me, there is really a recurring a power jack design issue on the motherboard on this series of laptops, that should be seriously be taken into consideration by Asus for the design of the next series of gaming laptops.

dstrakele
Level 14
If you remove the battery and start the laptop, does the power adapter plug still get extremely hot? If you switch power adapters, leaving the battery out, does the overheating issue persist? If so, I would suspect the problem lies with the motherboard. If not, the battery (or the connections in the battery bay) are suspect.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

Hi, Thanks so much for trying to help. Im beginning to panic now. 😞 I took the battery out and started up the computer but because it keep switching from battery to AC it just shuts off on me so I have no way of knowing if it would still get hot without the battery. I even tried holdig the plug in but it just doesn't work. Any ideas as to what I should do? I'm having a hard time keeping my computer charged long enough to even use it. Thanks!!

Gorman
Level 12
RMA it.

If it gets to this stage then it's already taken a lot of damage and it's just a matter of time till the pin or socket breaks.

dstrakele
Level 14
If you removed the battery and the laptop shuts down, the problem is in the power adapter or the motherboard. If you tried with a known good power adapter of 150W or greater, you've isolated the problem to the motherboard. Since you've purchased 2 new power adapters (and assuming they are of sufficient capacity), it appears likely the problem is with the motherboard.

RMA to ASUS may be your most cost effective option if the laptop is still under Warranty. If that's the case, PM cl-scott on this forum to assist with your RMA.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT