I've been having a strange issue the past few days. After my laptop is on for approximately 10-15 minutes, the ATK program starts switching back and forth from Battery Mode to AC Mode constantly. When I checked the AC connection I noticed the metal tip that goes into the DC jack was very hot. By hot I mean I couldn't hold it for more than a second without burning my fingers. I then checked the battery and noticed it also was very hot where I couldn't even hold it in my hands. At first I thought it was my AC adapter since it is kind of frayed at certain points, so I purchased a new one on Amazon with the same voltage/amp specs. The issue was still occurring, so I removed the battery and to my amazement the ATK program still says its switching from Battery Mode to AC mode which is impossible since I removed the battery and the system never shut off during this time.
I updated the BIOS on the machine to the latest revision for my model which is 205. I then did a fresh installation of Windows 7, but neither worked. I even drained the battery completely and tried to recharge it. The battery does recharge so it's definitely getting power from the AC adapter, but the overheating still occurs. I tried blowing dust out of the fans with an air compressor, but hardly any came out. I also checked system temperatures using HWMonitor which report the CPU at 50 celsius idle. The laptop usually runs at 35-40 celsius idle, but I'm thinking the battery overheating might have been raising the temperature somehow, or the sensors on the motherboard are faulty.
I had the motherboard replaced on my laptop back in August of 2011, and haven't had any issues until this point. I think it's the motherboard that's the issue, but only because I can't think of what else it could be. I currently have a ticket open with Asustek Support, but wanted to post on these forums to see if anyone has experienced these issues or has a different perspective. Thank you for your time.
When I put the battery into the laptop, I can basically feel it snap into place. I even looked at the connectors on the battery and the laptop and they appear to be fine. There's no visual indication that I can see that the two aren't making contact or are loose in any way. As for the overheating aspect, the system itself doesn't feel hot at all. I've had issues in the past with the system overheating which resulted in the motherboard having to be replaced. This is a different scenario altogether where only the battery and the tip of the A/C adapter are hot to the touch. Everywhere else seems to be fine.
I would try a different battery, but I'd rather not spend the $100 unless I definitely knew that was the issue. I believe it's an issue with the dc jack connector's connection to the motherboard. The reason I believe this is because when I try using the laptop without the battery, the ATK program still keeps flashing battery mode and AC mode constantly. And the AC adapter tip is very hot to the touch even without the battery. Now obviously the ATK program is reporting incorrectly with the battery mode because otherwise the system would shut down without the battery.
This doesn't happen, the system continues to run even when it says battery mode without it actually being installed. I think the dc jack connector's connection to the motherboard is loose, however I wouldn't be able to verify without opening the system which I've never done. Plus I tried moving the dc jack connector myself with a screwdriver to see if it was loose and it seems pretty sturdy. At the same time though, I would think if the dc jack connector was loose the system would eventually shut off, but that never happens. I've had the laptop running on AC power without the battery installed for upwards of 30-45 minutes without the system shutting down.
I still think it's a motherboard related issue because nothing else makes sense based on the symptoms. Nonetheless I'll let Asus make the call since I can't be the only person whose ever had this problem.
i have the same problem. Have you ever got a resolution to it?
I have a G71 i think i will need to check. It has now had four new motherboards.
The last replacement motherboard has been fine up untill about a month ago when i started to have problems. Exactly the same as you have experienced but the funny thing is i can run it on battery okay and then charge the battery when the laptop is off without it overheating. It charges perfectly. I think its a software problem but am unsure.
This issue is almost always associated with the G53. Several users have thought up their own solutions; 1. Check that the cable is not twisted, twisted cable can cause some kind of induction interference and cause it to heat up 2. Buy a 90 degree adapter, that should relieve stress on the port 3. Replace the port entirely 4. Replace the cable, it could be faulty 5. Could be a problem with the charging circuit, try removing the battery
On my 4th RMA for this problem I think they replaced my cable (although RMA slip doesn't say so), I bought a 90 degree adapter and removed the battery (haven't used it in months). Since then I haven't had a problem with this issue. Different things work for different people, I would try out 1 and 5 first and see if it helps.
If the problem persists much longer it can damage your motherboard and battery so be cautious.