cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G73JH Throttlestop relevant still?

HallisterM3
Level 7
I didn't want to bring up an old thread so I thought it best to start a new one, is the throttlestop program still relevant to G73JH's? I'm asking because I have been crashing (computer turns off in the middle of a game and restarts immediately) a good amount for the past year, see attached picture, it's been a lot...

I'm on the 213 BIOS if that matters.
5 REPLIES 5

The_Cool_Dude
Level 10
Hi there.

I've never heard of Throttlestop until I saw it mentioned in this forum months ago however I have never used it myself and never found the need to. I seriously doubt that Asus would even say that it is necessary.

My G73JH-A1 is on BIOS 213 as well and when I was running Windows 7, I did not have any problems that you are describing. I would through out a guess that perhaps you are having problems with drivers or your system is overheating (since you said it happens when gaming). Have you repasted your GPU and CPU since you got your G73JH?

Yeah, the motherboard and GPU are brand new. Just had them installed less than three weeks ago at a reputable local shop. Temps are fine, after doing reading on this issue though I think I'll see if anything changes. It usually crashes once a day.

The_Cool_Dude
Level 10
OK. In that case I would have a look at drivers then.

Did you install Windows 7 or did the PC shop do it for you?

Does it crash/reboot only when running games or when surfing too?

Is your GPU an AMD 5870 or did you get something else?

billyray520
Level 10
Throttle stop is only needed for the G73Sw or newer equivalents, not the GH. I have it installed on the Sw.
Asus Maximus V Extreme BIOS 1903, see specs above avatar.

Asus G73 jh A1 laptop, BIOS 213, vBIOS OD2, 8 GB Ram, 240 GB Intel SSD, 180 GB Intel SSD. Win 7 Pro. Purchased new from PowerNotebooks.com in May 2010.
(both have 1920X1080 hd screens, mine above, hers below )
Asus G73 Sw XR1 laptop 8 GB Ram, 160 GB Intel SSD, 80 GB Intel SSD. Purchased used >Ebay 1/10/13, Did clean install of Windows 7

Almighty1
Level 9