cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G73JH Performance Tweaking - Help Request

Retired
Not applicable
Hey all,

I have successfully performed a clean Win 7 install on a SSD. I would like to take this thing to the next level, and also to get an understanding of what the current performance enhancers (Power4Gear, turbo, etc) do to boost processor power. My main interest is to boost this power for business applications, however I do want that edge for light gaming as well (not a lot of time anymore, but hopefully will change for the better in the future).

All-in-all, I have a registered version of SetFSB, also I have downloaded the AMD GPU clock tool, EVGA E-LEET, CPU-Z and GPU-Z. I also obtained a few freeware benchmarking programs (passmark, vantage, 3dmark). The passmark actually locked me out when I changed the date of the laptop (30 day trial etc), however I got some strange results when I was running it before and after specific tweaks (lowering SetFSB settings INCREASED scores???). As such, I would like some professional assistance in understanding all of this and putting it together for a streamlined solution.

Thanks for your help.
7 REPLIES 7

JRd1st
Level 12
Power4Gear doesn't boost anything. It only enables your ROG key to change power config profiles. It might add some options to the power configs, not sure.

I'll leave the rest to the tweakers. lol
Read the User's Manual for more info. 😄

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor
Intel Series 510 120 GB SSD

Drivers, Apps and How To's
Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com

Retired
Not applicable
Bumping for more views / replies.

xeromist
Mainly you just want to make sure that it is set to maximum performance. Using a balanced power setting during office productivity apps means that it will use less power but it will be clocking up & down a lot in order to do so. Also, if you haven't done so already make sure that you check Chastity's sticky threads in this forum.

It really depends on what type of application you are using as to what will help most. If it's a data intensive application then you may see the most benefit from changing to an SSD for storage. I know that many people feel that they have a whole new machine after switching and the CPU was never an issue for them to begin with.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Retired
Not applicable
Thanks for your post. I am very well-aware about certain power settings that have throttling effects on GPU / CPU. Also, I did preface this thread with a note of how I just added a SSD. Furthermore, there are no sticky posts on these boards that provide info on overclocking.

Bumping for more input.

xeromist
Ah, sorry about that. I guess I missed that part. I know a few people have mentioned doing overclocking on laptops but I don't think anyone has posted a guide. Perhaps someone who has succeeded can give a few tips. In the mean time, what kind of business applications are we talking about? Perhaps there are ways in addition to overclocking that they can be sped up.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Retired
Not applicable
I simultaneously run 3-5 versions of QuickBooks along with Excel, web browsers and report writing software. It runs quickly, but I want to get that extra 10% improvement to cut down on, say, waiting for a verify / rebuild process to complete. I guess that my main concern is whether I have an efficient laptop, and I am a bit perturbed by the counterintuitive info I got from PassMark (which is no longer available due to date change so I can't re-verify). Also want to make sure that I did the install correctly.

grungeboy2
Level 10
there's tons of guides on how to overclock laptops. i've seen a video of a kid who had a sager hooked up to a window unit air conditioner just so he could oc it more.

the other day i saw a old (2003) toshiba laptop that featured two fans (one for the cpu, one for the ati video) and used a open bottom panel, similar to how i modded my g51. it's interesting to think that some toshiba engineers back then were thinking to the future, even if they were a little ahead of the time doing it.

SetFSB is good for overclocking when the multiplier is locked.

your frequency (Mhz, Ghz, or in the really old days, Hz) is controlled by Front Side Bus (FSB) speed x the multiplier. (example 7.5 (multiplier) x 266Mhz (FSB) = 1995Mhz = 2Ghz )

in the olden days multipliers were usually unlocked. so you could tweak a little of both. nowadays most multipliers are locked, unless you grab a Extreme edition Intel. so you overclock by ramping up the FSB. good memory will usually overclock well. when you jump up the FSB you usually jump up the memory (since they're linked).

a Intel P7350 (what came with the G51) easily goes from 2.0Ghz to 2.4Ghz, and some go higher.

the Power4Gear application does this with the Extreme Turbo option. it would jump the FSB setting from 400 to 450, resulting in a cpu speed of 2.15Ghz. i use set fsb to jump to a setting of 525. this gives me a processor speed of 2.375Ghz.