cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G73JH GPU repaste: is this thermal compound suitable?

Retired
Not applicable
Edit: Never mind. 5 minutes after I posted this I found the specs on this TIM: the answer is no, it isn't good enough to be in the same room as my laptop ;). Egg on my face...I would delete this thread if I knew how...

tl;dr: Is Dynex DX-STC1001 Silver Thermal Compound okay for the G73 GPU repaste or should I really go get an Aluminum Oxide based TIM?

Hi all,
I have had my G73JH for about 15 months and thankfully had a pretty trouble-free experience...until recently. (still my favorite computer ever 😄 )

I am definitely having overheating issues with the GPU. I was experiencing the infamous "playing a game and the computer turns off" issue. I read the threads about various issues and updated both my BIOS (to 213) and vBIOS (the recommended one, I forget), which actually SOLVED the "turning off during gameplay issue", probably because the fans are set to spin higher now b/c of the BIOS update.

Since this got me concerned, I am constantly logging and monitoring temps now and I am seeing 104-105 deg C under load while playing, and from what I have read, the only fix for this is to repaste the GPU.

My only concern is the suitability of the thermal compound I happen to have lying around. It worked fine on some older desktops etc, but I am seeing a lot of recommendations in forums to use IC Diamond 7 or other Aluminum Oxide based TIMs. Is silver TIM no longer good enough for gaming? (first gaming laptop, only reason I ask).

Thanks in advance.
paradigms_shift
3 REPLIES 3

Chastity
Level 10
ICD7 is my choice since it demonstrates a great capacity of heat transfer, plus the viscosity is very thick, making it a great match for the JH heatsink. Also, it's non-conductive. When you apply for the GPU, you only need a 3mm ball in the center. This TIM is also good in that using too much doesn't destroy it's capacity for optimal thermal transfer.
[SIGPIC]Kicking Ass Since Today[/SIGPIC]

Retired
Not applicable
Yeah, I figured I should go high-quality and use one of the ones you suggest in your overheating thread, but I was just annoyed that newegg wants to charge me $18 to ship me a $9 product. Found a much better deal for $15 total including shipping elsewhere.

BTW, as a newish reader of this forum I have to say thank you from the bottom of my heart for all of the advice and research you put up here. It has helped me a great deal. 😄

Chastity
Level 10
Why, thank you for the very nice compliment. 🙂 It's great when a good community of users get together and help out each other.
[SIGPIC]Kicking Ass Since Today[/SIGPIC]