cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G73JH GPU driver update = Catalyst Control Center crashes (and heat!)

modded
Level 7
I play Tribes Ascend quite a bit. My GPU temps would always stay around ~82c. Last night I decided to see if my drivers were up to date, and I checked online with Windows 7. My driver was updated, but now Catalyst Control center will not start. I did get a BSOD during an install of the newer Catalyst software, but after uninstalling and reinstalling, that has not returned. My GPU temps during Tribes Ascend skyrocket to 90c in the menu alone now, and 100c during gameplay (on low setting!). Obviously, something is wrong.

I can disassemble the laptop for a repaste, but I want to rule out everything else before I do so. I doubt it's the thermal paste but I could be wrong.
G73JH :: Future recipient of GPU upgrades.
1 REPLY 1

modded
Level 7
Well I went ahead and completely disassembled my laptop and took a look at everything. Nothing seemed out of place. So I threw it back together and completely removed all ATI software and hardware from the system. I installed an older Catalyst software dating back to November of last year and now my GPU idles and holds at 65c and 80c respectively.

The newer driver, despite messing up pretty much anything ATI related, superheated my GPU to 100c BUT... the game looked fantastic. Go figure lol.
G73JH :: Future recipient of GPU upgrades.