cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G73JH-A1 Freezing when running Windows 10. On Windows 7 it's fine.....

The_Cool_Dude
Level 10
Hello everyone.

I'm having some frustrating issues with my G73JH-A1 freezing when running Windows 10. I was 18 days into my initial test with Windows 10 on my G73JH-A1 and then out of the blue, it started freezing...... Bad.... I could get to the desktop or the lock screen and then it would freeze without me doing anything. When I say it would freeze, it is a hard freeze, can't move the mouse pointer, or anything. Only powering off and on again gets it going again. There is nothing in the event log as to what happened either. This happened to me on Windows 8.1 as well. The only solution I had at the time was to reinstall Windows. I thought perhaps my laptop was dying so I went back to Windows 7 to test and found that it never froze once but I don't really want to run Windows 7 anymore. So then I started thinking it was a Windows 8.1 issue and that Windows 10 would resolve the freezing so I waited for Windows 10 to be released to take advantage of the free upgrade. I was wrong..... because Windows 10 freezes too.

I even did a clean install of Windows 10. Same problem with freezing...

I discovered a solution that worked for a short time on Windows 10 by uninstalling the ATI Catalyst Control Center only. Leaving the ATI display drivers alone as you need them. Only uninstall the ATI Catalyst Control Center. It's nice to have but not 100% necessary. I got this tip from a friend who had some issues with HP computers running ATI graphics cards and freezing.

Anyway, I tried it (uninstalling the ATI Catalyst Control Center) and I was lucky enough to be able to uninstall this without the machine freezing and then I rebooted. Everything was running fine again for about a month or so and then it started freezing again. I discovered that Windows 10 updated the graphics card driver for the ATI 5870m and reinstalled the Catalyst Control Center. So once again I uninstalled it and then it seemed OK again for a few days and now it's freezing again and the Catalyst Control Center is not installed! I'm not sure what is causing this and I don't want to reinstall Windows 10 again as it's getting tiresome.

Anyone else having problems with their G73JH Freezing with Windows 10 or 8.1 and what was your solution? Any other tips for this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
16 REPLIES 16

I have the same problem with my GL502VY NVIDIA graphics...... I ´ll remove de factory Windows 10 and try to install Wndows 7.

JustinThyme
Level 13
First things first, How did you get to windows 10? Did you upgrade win 7 in place or fresh install? First thing that comes to mind is a driver that is not compatible with Windows 10 is loading.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

C4RN1
Level 9
If you are still on windows 10 and are having issues with windows automatic updates try setting your network connection to metered. This will prevent windows from downloading updates on that connection.

My G46vw had an issue with the audio driver automatically updating when it would restart, this would result in the computer thinking headphones were plugged in. Setting my network connection to metered fixed this annoying issue.

http://lifehacker.com/enable-metered-connection-to-delay-windows-10-updates-1723316525

Hi Guys.

Thanks for replying.

As I mentioned in my initial post, my installation is a clean install via USB. Windows 10 came from here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/software-download/windows10 and I did a USB key installation.

I initially tried an upgrade from Windows 7, and that's where I noticed the freezing issue. So I then did the clean install. Same thing. This is the same issue on Windows 8.1 as well.

The freezing issue with Windows 10 does not appear to have anything to do with Windows Automatic Updates as I have it set to never install a driver from Windows Update. I forgot to mention that I did this. See here as to how I did that: http://www.ilovefreesoftware.com/07/windows-10/disable-automatic-device-driver-downloads-windows-10....
It doesn't matter what ATI video driver I use. Windows 10 freezes my G73JH. Do you guys have a G73JH? Is your G73JH working fine with Windows 10? Is there something else I may have missed?

I can run Windows 10 in Safe Mode on my G73JH, but seriously that is not going to cut it. Neither is running Windows 7, which is a 7 year old OS, even though I know this works. I'm trying to keep using my G73JH by using a current OS. The SSD is awesome, the Wireless card upgrade is really nice too, but software is key too.

ASUS says that the G73JH running anything other than Windows 7 is not supported. Microsoft says that any computer running Windows 7 can run Windows 8.1 or 10. This is obviously not the case. 😞

AjHuddy
Level 7
I haven't had any luck with Windows10 on my g73jh. Freezing would inevitably occur. I have even updates the VBIOS as some suggest but no luck. I'd love to hear from someone who has had success.

New member to this site though been following it for quite some time. Own a few Asus laptops all running Win7 or Win 8.1 and was considering upgrading to 10..but all my systems are running great as they are.. So..following this tread closely as I have a G73jh that would be my first one to upgrade. Just don't need the hassle of it causing issues as I use it everyday for my business plus.
My thought would be to clone and pull my current drive and install another test drive w/same programming..then try the upgrade to 10. If I encounter issues..I can always reinstall original drive and be on my way. Down the road when I have time I could play with trying to get 10 running correctly should it not in the beginning.
Sure hope to hear of someone making a successful transition to Win10 on a G73jh w/o issues..
thanks for all great info on this site from all the great talent that contribute their knowledge for individuals like me who know a little but always want to learn more..

xeromist
Ecamillo, this is a year old thread for an unrelated model. Please start a new thread for your issue.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…