cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G73jh 770m GPU upgrade success

jmhdj
Level 10
Hello.
So it can be confirmed that olding like G73jh can be upgraded to latest of nvidia gtx series. I must confess one thing though when thinking about this machine first thing that comes to mind is zombie
Becouse it involves merging 4mb bios file of g73jh with g73jw plus moding video bios to get standard mxm 3.0b gpu be recocgnised by system.
All this was neccessary becouse without bios mod there is not support for nvidia gpus in system bios but g73jw has neccessary callbacks and thus is involved in this mod. Even inside bios settings it is shown as g73jw now and all other programs like HWinfo shows it as that.
With original unmodded bios there is no backlight on internal lcd before windows log in screen is loaded and both fans are on full throttle constantly.
Under is some pictures and link to 3dmark11 score with standard clocks.
LINK: http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/8022046

13 REPLIES 13

Draakor
Level 7
Whats the price of that GPU?

jmhdj
Level 10
Hello. Thanks for showing interest in this mod. I must ask whatmachine eventualy you would install this 770m in?
Asking becouse you need modded system bios to for installing it in G73JH.

G73JH is what i have.

jmhdj
Level 10
Then as it is now your machine would not show picture on internal lcd before windows login sreen and that only after video driver is installed first. Also both fans would be on full speed all the time. To get this card work correctly you would need to modify system bios on the motherboard to. I could assist in this but only if I would get really fair price for 770m and heatsink would be included.

Draakor
Level 7
I was just curious on the pricing of the 770m GPU as I could perform the rest of the modification myself... though it seems to only provide a minor performance gain for a high cost. For $400 I would prefer to just buy a new laptop... lol

Draakor wrote:
I was just curious on the pricing of the 770m GPU as I could perform the rest of the modification myself... though it seems to only provide a minor performance gain for a high cost. For $400 I would prefer to just buy a new laptop... lol

Comparing to 5870m in g73jh it gives over 150% boost in gaming performance. And machines with 770m cost least 1500$
However you get updated chipset, new gen cpu, usb3,better keybord. All said I own g750jx with 770m and ssd but it is not worth it trust me. Screen bleeding is terrible and still I would never exchange it for my other g73sw with 680m and 2860qm cpu.
http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/7630058

EightBitRanger
Level 7
I bought an MSI GT70 and an ASUS G750JX last fall for school, but I ended up returning them both because I despise Windows 8 and just sticking with my nearly 4 year old G73JH. I'd like to do a couple of things to it to hopefully get a couple more years out of it, but if the cost to upgrade is going to be more than half what a new one would be, I'd just as sooner get the new one and reset the clock.

jmhdj
Level 10
For 200-300$ you can get new 770m and thats all cost involved rest would be on your skill to modify gpu heatsink to fit on 770m and system bios modifying is actualy biggest obstacle as I had to desolder bios chip and program it directly with SPI programmer. But if you wouldnt mind fans noise and missing backlight on internal lcd before windows login screen then no need for bios mod.

jmhdj wrote:
For 200-300$ you can get new 770m and thats all cost involved rest would be on your skill to modify gpu heatsink to fit on 770m and system bios modifying is actualy biggest obstacle as I had to desolder bios chip and program it directly with SPI programmer. But if you wouldnt mind fans noise and missing backlight on internal lcd before windows login screen then no need for bios mod.

jmhdj still waiting on that dope guide of yours to upgrade to 680m 😛