cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G731GW (Strix 3 RTX 2070) - works good in high demanding tasks, laggy in basic things

AtGrigorov
Level 10
Hi guys,
Trying to set up my new G731GW laptop for over a week now with no avail.
All updates are installed (from ASUS site and from Windows). When doing simple tasks (windows browsing, internet browsing) the system is laggy. Same happens when trying to work with AutoCAD and Solidworks. It feels like I'm using an old integrated video card (in nVidia Settings all these are set to use the High End graphics adapter). All programs (same releases) worked flawlessly on my previous ASUS (ZX753VD). The strange part is, when I start a demanding game with ultra setting it works flawlessly (!). Working with a basic CAD file is a struggle, but opening a very heavy file, performs good (!). Been trying all different video drivers and nothing helps Finally ended up again with the one from the ASUS support page . Also tried to disable UHD630 VGA or the RTX2070 VGA, no difference. Tried also a fresh windows install and all is the same. I've added extra SSD (500GB Samsung) and extra RAM (absolutely the same as the one the laptop came with, so now it's 16+16 GB Samsung). The problems were the same before the upgrade. Can't find a solution to this strange behavior, so any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
PS: One other issue is the sound. I'm using the "Nahimic Component Driver" with "Sonic Studio 3 UWP" and the sound stutters for a fraction, when some process is started or closed;
8 REPLIES 8

AtGrigorov
Level 10

I've made a test in "UserBenchMark". Do you think, this test is valid and what could've be the issue to my problem?

I've contacted the support and there was only one response to reinstall Windows, though I've mentioned I've done it two times before that, installing only drivers from their site and all was the same.

xeromist
Maybe check the Intel graphics settings. See if you can set the igpu to performance rather than efficiency.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Tried that, but didn't help. All is set to performance - same results. A friend of mine (sysadmin) said, I should return it. According to him it's some kind of components interference, which he's seen quite a lot with different brands. Each component separately performs with no errors, but there is something, that is making them not to work together as a whole. There's also an option to send it to a service center, but this way I would miss the 30 days return option.

Tried this benchmark test on my "old" Asus and very interesting, the results are pretty much the same, but that laptop works very smoothly... Totally stunned...

One more thing I've noticed. The CPU is always showing 800MHZ. Is it normal??

Reason found. CPU multiplier was locked at 8. With BD PROCHOT disabled, it's nothing to compare to before that. It's a rocket. What bothers me now is, should I leave the BD PROCHOT off, and why is all this strange behavior. Is disabling the BD-P only bypassing an existing problem, like faulty motherboard's sensor or it's a firmware issue?

xeromist
Given that it worked in some situations even before you made this change I would lean toward firmware over hardware.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

It's just back from RMA Service. It looks like the Mainboard was replaced. All's good now.