cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G73 Overheating and Crashes

BreakFix
Level 8
Hello Folks.

I've been using a G73jh for some time, never had any related problems. But in the past month the GPU temps have been reaching 127Degrees and then crashes the machine. I can try and reduce the load by dialing down game setting but this is just side stepping the problem whereas before I didn't have to.

The ATI Drivers are up to date and I clear the exhausts with a hoover and underside reasonably often.

What I don't understand is why there is no safeguard to stop the temps climbing in this way, doesn't seem anything in the BIOS (213) is available. Am I missing something?

Any advice please?
/Thanks Oli
4 REPLIES 4

billyray520
Level 10
Hello Oli! I have a G73jh too. You say you have the latest ATI drivers. You must have updated your vBIOS then right? I updated my vBIOS to OD2 and my temps went down. Right now I'm using ATI 13-4 or thereabouts. The fact that your temps suddenly spiked lately makes me think it is driver related. Can you roll back to your previous driver that was working well? :confused:
Asus Maximus V Extreme BIOS 1903, see specs above avatar.

Asus G73 jh A1 laptop, BIOS 213, vBIOS OD2, 8 GB Ram, 240 GB Intel SSD, 180 GB Intel SSD. Win 7 Pro. Purchased new from PowerNotebooks.com in May 2010.
(both have 1920X1080 hd screens, mine above, hers below )
Asus G73 Sw XR1 laptop 8 GB Ram, 160 GB Intel SSD, 80 GB Intel SSD. Purchased used >Ebay 1/10/13, Did clean install of Windows 7

Many Thanks BillRay,

I actually just built myself a a Maximus Gene VI rig as my main system so i'll go ahead and start experimenting with the G73 starting with a fresh rebuild using the helpful driver pages i've seen in this forum.

I had not heard of the vBIOS update until today, to date i've not experienced a GSOD but no matter, lets get this thing back in shape. i'll try anything 🙂

BreakFix
Level 8
Hi, Just to confirm. Tonight i've had some more success.
After a fresh install and applying the vBIOS as described for the GSOD issues on this forum the issue seems much improved.
The Clock speed of the GPU was running persistently at 700Mhz, it's now dropping to ~405mhz while idle and running at ~68degrees.
Still a bit hot but it seems these are not the coolest of machines.

Thanks again.

RBg73sw
Level 7
i have g73sw and i used to have a temp issue and i have solve it by taking it a part and clean the dust which was blocking the exhaust the temp went down from 90C down to 72C while gaming and from 58C to 40 on ideal.