cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G73 JH lockups/Hitching/Artifacts

Jabbapop
Level 7
Okay so I just got this thing and it's like I go to play oblivion and it's fine for a few minutes and then the screen goes to vertical stripes alternating I think yellow and black (I don't recall exactly, it put me in such a daze!) Then I go to play some other games (HL2:Ep2, S.T.A.L.K.E.R Shadow of Chernoybyl all details high) and it every so often does a hiccup like it's loading. It's jarring, it lasts a few seconds, so it's significant. Perhaps it's simply the amount of resources being accessed, though the 6 Gigs of ram and 1 gig of video ram should be enough for games that are 4 years old right? These games too also occasionally freeze up: the last image locks itself up on the screen and I have to remove the battery. I did the driver sweeper/ati crap cleaner and installed the 11.1 fresh. I also updated the realtek driver from their website, and still the same. Did I get a lemon? Mortar tanks! (Many thanks, in my native language of gibberish.)
4 REPLIES 4

Chastity
Level 10
I gather you never updated the vBIOS to the working beta?
[SIGPIC]Kicking Ass Since Today[/SIGPIC]

Thanks, I'll try that, once I get ahold of a USB flash drive, which unfortunately I don't have amongst my possessions. Ai ai ai. In the meantime, I've tried playing stalker again and this time I got a blue screen of death saying something to the effect of lost clock intervals, then the computer restarted.

Okay, I've done the bios update and the artifacts and lockups seem to have subsided, but I still get the hitching. What it seems to be is when a game loads a new resource it causes a slight delay. For example, even in old games, such as half life 2 death match, when someone uses a weapon resource for the first time, there will be a hitch, but any subsequent use will be fine. Is there any way to diagnose this? Some kind of drive error? I also experience a subtle clicking noise every fifteen/thirty seconds or so, which is seemingly related to drive usage.

Chastity
Level 10
Seems your hdd's are going into nap mode while you are gaming. You can go into P4G Hybrid and edit your power profile regarding Turn-Off HDDs. For High Performance profile, I would set that to Never, and use that when gaming.
[SIGPIC]Kicking Ass Since Today[/SIGPIC]