cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G703VI GTX 1080 vbios locked?

MrRuckus
Level 10
Hey All. I was wondering if anyone had ran into this before? I was trying to just grab a copy of my vbios on this new G703VI and it looks like I am unable to? Is this new or have people ran into this before on the 10 series GPU's?

Was hoping to have Dreamonic maybe take a look at the vbios and see if any settings could be unlocked. Looks like that may not be possible on this Laptop? 😕

(ROG has simply become too expensive compared to the competition with same specs... 😞 )
MSI GE75 Raider 10SGS - i7 10750H - RTX 2080 Super - 32GB Ram - 1TB WD NVMe - 2TB 960 EVO - 300Hz 17inch Display
RETIRED: ALIENWARE R17 R5 - i7 8750H - GTX 1070 @ 1.9Ghz - 16GB DDR4 - NVMe 970 EVO 1TB - SSD 960 EVO 1TB
SOLD: ASUS G703VI-XH74K, RETIRED: ASUS G752VY-DH72, RETIRED: ASUS G750JH DB71 , RETIRED:ASUS G74Sx DH72
5 REPLIES 5

Falkentyne
Level 12

Does your laptop have the iGPU Mux switch or capability to have it enabled or an option to enable the iGPU (and disable the dGPU?).

Falkentyne wrote:
Does your laptop have the iGPU Mux switch or capability to have it enabled or an option to enable the iGPU (and disable the dGPU?).

No this laptop does not support Optimus as far as I am aware. None of my previous Rog laptops had Optimus. GPUZ would still disable the graphics card briefly and your resolution would be kicked down while this happened, but would immediately go back once the vbios file was made. Just curious as to why this one is not readable while previous generations were? I have read in another forum about people getting around this error using NVFlash instead to read the rom and make a file. Just curious as to why the change?
(ROG has simply become too expensive compared to the competition with same specs... 😞 )
MSI GE75 Raider 10SGS - i7 10750H - RTX 2080 Super - 32GB Ram - 1TB WD NVMe - 2TB 960 EVO - 300Hz 17inch Display
RETIRED: ALIENWARE R17 R5 - i7 8750H - GTX 1070 @ 1.9Ghz - 16GB DDR4 - NVMe 970 EVO 1TB - SSD 960 EVO 1TB
SOLD: ASUS G703VI-XH74K, RETIRED: ASUS G752VY-DH72, RETIRED: ASUS G750JH DB71 , RETIRED:ASUS G74Sx DH72

MrRuckus wrote:
No this laptop does not support Optimus as far as I am aware. None of my previous Rog laptops had Optimus. GPUZ would still disable the graphics card briefly and your resolution would be kicked down while this happened, but would immediately go back once the vbios file was made. Just curious as to why this one is not readable while previous generations were? I have read in another forum about people getting around this error using NVFlash instead to read the rom and make a file. Just curious as to why the change?

Does your laptop support ANY iGPU output at all? Any way to disable the dGPU ?
Because for example, the MSI GT72VR (Not the Titan) had NO support for iGPU whatsoever (the CPU supported it but it was permanently disabled through the Bios/mainboard), and you could use GPU-Z to dump the vBios on it.

But the GT73VR Titan DID support iGPU output, via a MUX switch where you disable the dGPU and then reboot to the iGPU. And I was unable to use GPU-Z to dump the vbios on those.

Falkentyne wrote:
Does your laptop support ANY iGPU output at all? Any way to disable the dGPU ?
Because for example, the MSI GT72VR (Not the Titan) had NO support for iGPU whatsoever (the CPU supported it but it was permanently disabled through the Bios/mainboard), and you could use GPU-Z to dump the vBios on it.

But the GT73VR Titan DID support iGPU output, via a MUX switch where you disable the dGPU and then reboot to the iGPU. And I was unable to use GPU-Z to dump the vbios on those.

Ehh, Im not sure. I dont really want to disable it in dm to find out I have no iGPU support either and end up with a black screen or something.

Im just gonna leave it be. The clocks on this 1080 are already pushing 1950-1975Mhz, it very well could be some kind of hardware feature with this mobo since the Rog Gaming Center is so intertwined with the clocks of both the CPU/GPU. I don't want to possibly break something. Thanks for the input though!

Hi,
The ROG Gaming center doesn't care about the clocks of the card being changed or the TDP being increased via a hardware mod. It just reads the clocks and that's it. It's the video card vbios that handles the power and temp and voltage throttling limits.

As far as the igpu, your laptop either has it or it doesn't have it. If you have an option to use the iGPU anywhere, then it has it. If your laptop does not support the iGPU, then you cant enable it and there won't be an option for it. If Asus 'allowed' you to enable the iGPU but the laptop didn't support it and you got a black screen, everyone would be RMA flooding them with mass complaints.

The only black screen problems were actual bugs in the MSI Bios itself with the PEG "Auto" Setting, and a previous (worse) bug on the GT72s with the dGPU not being initialized in some situations when switchinig from the iGPU. And some user using an unlocked system Bios and disabling the GPU through the Bios itself. But thats getting way off topic now.