cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G703GI - Set Default Clock

PhilG55vw
Level 9
Setting up my new G703, I can't get the default CPU/GPU clocks to default to the Standard setting in the Gaming Center. No sense running at Extreme when you're just installing software. any guidance appreciated.
3,040 Views
10 REPLIES 10

Darnassus
Status Under Review
No point really, since GPU Boost governs your GPU's clock, right now yours would be doing 100-200MHz if not gaming.

CPU you can force to not use HyperThreading by setting a Power Option, and putting your CPU's max power at '99%', anything below 100% disables HyperThreading, making your CPU sit at base clock.. being 2.6GHz for a 6700HQ

Otherwise, used 'Balanced Mode' or 'Power Saver', but it's always nice to make your own custom profiles. ;d

Wait, you have a G703 Chimera? :f

75256

Darnassus wrote:
No point really, since GPU Boost governs your GPU's clock, right now yours would be doing 100-200MHz if not gaming.

CPU you can force to not use HyperThreading by setting a Power Option, and putting your CPU's max power at '99%', anything below 100% disables HyperThreading, making your CPU sit at base clock.. being 2.6GHz for a 6700HQ

Otherwise, used 'Balanced Mode' or 'Power Saver', but it's always nice to make your own custom profiles. ;d


Great, thanks, but Gaming Center is showning around 4500Mhz with only this running. I guess I need to understand Gaming Center better.

Darnassus wrote:
Wait, you have a G703 Chimera? :f


Ahh, yeah.

Darnassus
Status Under Review
Gaming Center I think just shows your max value achieveable.. I am uncertain.. I have it installed because as of now I believe it is supposed to be there for some functions, next reinstall I might just cut it, and use the GameCenter key and bind it to something else more useful.

If you want to see what your actual GPU's current clock is, and track it.. use this. http://openhardwaremonitor.org/

Then open the Graph, or Plot, and tick your GPU so you can track its performance.

Post a picture here of when your system's idle without playing a game. ;d

Also well done on the Chimera, I can't put myself to spend over $2500 ha. ;d

Darnassus wrote:
Gaming Center I think just shows your max value achieveable.. I am uncertain.. I have it installed because as of now I believe it is supposed to be there for some functions, next reinstall I might just cut it, and use the GameCenter key and bind it to something else more useful.

If you want to see what your actual GPU's current clock is, and track it.. use this. http://openhardwaremonitor.org/


Great link, thank you!


Darnassus wrote:
Also well done on the Chimera, I can't put myself to spend over $2500 ha. ;d


Yeah, I hear ya. I had a GL702 for that reason but it rolled over and died after 3 weeks, but it ran very hot running Destiny2. The GL series are too thin to get enough air flow. Thought about building another desktop but I really like a laptop for where I'm using computers now. So far this sucker is one bad machine. I also have a G55VW that is still going strong, but it can't handle the new games.

Thanks again for the help 🙂

Darnassus wrote:
Then open the Graph, or Plot, and tick your GPU so you can track its performance.

Post a picture here of when your system's idle without playing a game. ;d


Chart at idle.

Weirdoutworld
Level 7
PhilG55vw wrote:
Setting up my new G703, I can't get the default CPU/GPU clocks to default to the Standard setting in the Gaming Center. No sense running at Extreme when you're just installing software. any guidance appreciated.


Congratulations on the g703. It's a marvelous machine & I absolutely love mine.
I just change the profile to standard whenever Im not gaming & have it plugged in. External power makes the gaming center default to extreme.

Weirdoutworld wrote:
Congratulations on the g703. It's a marvelous machine & I absolutely love mine.


Yes it is! Thanks for the note. Did you get the i7 or i9 version?

Darnassus
Status Under Review
Huh, weird.. :f 1300 MHz on idle? Mine sits at 180 idle, a YT video brings it to 600-900, gaming up to 1900.

Darnassus wrote:
Huh, weird.. :f 1300 MHz on idle? Mine sits at 180 idle, a YT video brings it to 600-900, gaming up to 1900.


Something I had done previously I think. Just took another look and core is at 139. Waiting impatiently for the new Destiny2 release in September.