cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G701VIK loud and erratic fans

JorisS
Level 7
Hi guys

I just purchased one of these monster laptops 2nd hand, had it delivered yesterday.
The original owner has replaced the drives (it has 2x 512Gb SSD now, nice!) and in the process I guess the original recovery and Windows was lost, as there was no bloatware or anything and recovery partition was only 500Mb. Since it came with German Windows, I simply used the Microsoft Media creation tool to create a USB drive with English Windows 10 and started from scratch.

I've downloaded and installed a bunch of drivers from Asus homepage, including the Gaming Center.
I've noticed during these two days that the fan is often very loud, even though CPU usage is below ~10 % most of the time. It appears to be the fan in the left rear that's spinning up most of the time.

I thought this may be sorted with the installation of the Gaming Center, but it doesn't seem to make much of a difference.
In fact, when I'm in the Gaming Center and looking at the "Turbo Gear config", it's showing me 0 RPM for both fans, despite the fans being noisy and very active indeed! Any idea what the problem could be? I think it was the same in the BIOS - CPU fan showing 0 rpm despite it clearly spinning at fairly high speed.

Basically the CPU usage can be hovering between 0-10% and fan noise can go from almost silent to very loud (I would guess almost max level), then back again.
CPU temps are below 40 degrees all the way through, CPU usage never going over 10%. Seems to me like something is off here.... hopefully something obvious I am missing in terms of drivers or such?

Any help appreciated!

Here's two screenshots taken from Gaming Center; first pic the fan is running at what I suppose is basically max RPM, second pic it's almost silent.

9 REPLIES 9

JorisS
Level 7
To add to this:

this is Fan Boost page, it's set for S: AUTO

It's only showing me the system fan? And again 0 RPM. The fan is running at max RPM though.
When I increase it to 100%, the GPU (right rear fan) starts speeding up and becomes noisy as heck as well.
Throttling it back to 0%, the right rear fan gradually drops in speed and noise but the other one keeps running at max speed regardless?

Set to 50%, the right fan is making a bunch of noise, it still shows 0 RPM though:

If I move the slider to 100 while the left fan is quiet, it actually seems to pull that one back to max with it.

Which of the fans is CPU and which is the GPU? Perhaps it's the GPU fan being the noisy one?
The GPU is definitely not running under any stress, only looking at the desktop/browser....

Most if not all the drivers and software I have on my G752VSK would probably work on your laptop. PM me and I'll send you a link to my dropbox.

Most important though is the Gaming Center software. I find that version 2.5.7 with the addition of the Turbo Gear updater version 3 works the best. These are combined to help control the fans.

I don't know if the absence of your eSupport folder will matter much but you could request a copy from ASUS.

I would start by tearing down your laptop and repasting your CPU/GPU. While in there check the fans with an ohm meter. You might have a bad GPU fan.
G752VSK, G75VW-3D, G51J, G1S
Homebuilt Windows Server

JorisS
Level 7
Thanks for the reply, much appreciated. I have downloaded all drivers and utilities from the homepage - you may have more gems in your dropbox though, I'll send you a PM 🙂

The fans are working, they definitely are... loud as heck as well. They just seem to not be working in any relation to actual CPU stress.... at least the rear left one. And they're not showing any RPM values, which makes me wonder if that's why at least the left rear one is running at (near) max so often - the system isn't receiving proper feedback from the fan?
Or does it simply adjust fan speed according to CPU temp? Temps are looking fine and even between the cores, I don't think there's a problem there. It's really not hot, but the left fan spins up and runs at high RPM regardless.

Btw in the BIOS it also shows CPU fan 0 RPM.... I'll try flashing it with the latest, if it doesn't have that already (v3.05 right now I believe).
If the BIOS can't even detect fan RPM, I guess it's not a driver issue?

JorisS
Level 7
Dang this is annoying... the fan(s) just randomly spin up and go mental, then after a while slow down again.
CPU activity isn't showing anything, all I'm doing is browsing for help with this crap....

I just reflashed BIOS 305, still the same.
Something seems to be quite weird here... anybody who has had this issue before?

This is what GPU Tweaker looks like - is this normal, 98% GPU when sitting in the desktop?

Here's two shots of the BIOS:

Even in the BIOS it can be loud as heck, showing CPU temp of around 38 degrees but CPU FAN 0 RPM.
It seems to be mostly the left side fan that's acting up.

Anybody with any ideas?
I'm about to ask the seller for a return & refund...

In case it's relevant, the previous owner recently replaced the screen due to severe backlight bleeding. He claims the ordered the new screen through the part number so it should be identical.... could some slight incompatibility in the screen somehow cause all this? I have the original screen as well and am considering swapping back, just to check. The receipt for the replacement screen was included and showed a price of around €50, seems very cheap? It looks good though, very little BLB and it's running at 120Hz like it should...

PredatoR_TR
Level 7
This laptop should be the most silent model of ROG high end series at idle if you undervolt the CPU.

I used it without ROG Gaming Center at -104.5mhz undervolted with throttlestop and it was awesome at idle, during surfing, 3d modelling, etc. I have one newer model G703VI and I am not happy with its idle fan noise like I was with G701VIK.

If the fans are still working with undervolted CPU, there is definitely something wrong with your laptop.

PredatoR_TR wrote:
This laptop should be the most silent model of ROG high end series at idle if you undervolt the CPU.

I used it without ROG Gaming Center at -104.5mhz undervolted with throttlestop and it was awesome at idle, during surfing, 3d modelling, etc. I have one newer model G703VI and I am not happy with its idle fan noise like I was with G701VIK.

If the fans are still working with undervolted CPU, there is definitely something wrong with your laptop.

Thanks for your reply, appreciate it!

Could it have been OC or modified by previous owner, and if so are those settings "stuck" in some memory or should all be reset to default with BIOS reflash and reset to defaults and clean Windows installation?

With the Hardware Monitor within the BIOS displaying 0 RPM, I believe there is a hardware issue.
G752VSK, G75VW-3D, G51J, G1S
Homebuilt Windows Server

jdfrench3 wrote:
With the Hardware Monitor within the BIOS displaying 0 RPM, I believe there is a hardware issue.

That's basically what I was thinking also.... could the fans be faulty? These are available from the Asus EU site for ~30€.
If the fan doesn't give RPM feedback, could that explain why they are ramped up so much?
Or is it more likely that the entire circuitry controlling fan voltage is wacked?

The fans do spin down after a while and can be very silent in between...

What kind of CPU temperature do you guys have when idling in the BIOS? Any Fan activity/RPM there?
And do your systems show you the RPM both in the BIOS and in the Gaming Center?

*Edit*
I just started it up and have the BIOS screen up. It started with a CPU temp of 27 degrees, no fan active. It slowly climbed and once it reached ~45 degrees, the fans started up - fairly slow first. Temp started dropping, went below 40 again and continued to decrease. But instead of lowering fan RPM, it continued slowly ramping up the fans even when temp was around 36-37 degrees. It dropped down to ~35 and then became somewhat quieter again, but temp rose slightly to 37 after. It continued to lower fan RPM until it became quiet again, but temp of course rose again and the cycle repeats itself it seems.

Still, this seems somewhat normal. Yesterday it was sitting in the BIOS with fans ramped full speed for 10-15 minutes until I grew tired and switched it off. Temp was as on the pictures above, 37 degrees or so. At that time I restarted into BIOS from Windows with fans running high speed though. This time I started off directly into BIOS and with cold CPU. Also I'm currently running on battery only...

What I would really like to know is how the logics work here - once CPU temperature exceeds a set treshold it seems to start up the fans to get temps down - then once temps are down fans are throttled down completely, and the same thing repeats itself. Why does it not run at some "steady state" low RPM value and keep the temp around 40 or such?

Can I define a fan profile anywhere in one of the software packages?
Do your systems behave like my description above? Around which temperature does the CPU hover in BIOS/idle? I seem to be between 35 and 45, depending on what the fans do. Is that normal?

*Edit 2*
I've now sat watching several cycles and it seems to be consistent; fans spin up around 45 degrees and pull temp down to around 35, where fans go completely silent. This repeats itself over and over. Actually seems ok, but not the type of fan profile I would prefer.... Perhaps it IS a fan problem and they are not responding to low voltages? I.e. the system is trying to run them at low RPM but instead they're completely off?
No doubt that CPU temp climbs without any air flow...

Just checked GPU Tweak, it doesn't show me any fan speeds!? Saw some Youtube videos where ppl are adjusting fan curves, but I don't even see those options? I seem to also have lost the Turbo Gear section in the Gaming Center 😕

WTF getting more and more confused and annoyed with this machine...