cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G55VW Sound Rattle

GarretG
Level 7
My 2 month old notebook has a sound rattle on the right side near the power button. It has always been there but it is at the point where I cant stand it anymore. :mad: My sound drivers are all up to date and always have been. Does anybody know if ASUS hardware just sucks or what? The optical drive went out before this unit was even a month old. Anybody know if there's a way to make my sound not sound like a tin can on the highway?
I7
windows 8.1(yes it did it on windows 8 too)
8gb ram
Nvidia 660m 2gb
G55vw 2 months old
11 REPLIES 11

Pitcher1
Level 9
is it from adapter or from laptop?

Actual speakers.

GarretG
Level 7
The speakers are rattling. No adapter as far as I know.

zltippett
Level 7
I got the same problem recently. Mine was fine for at least 6 - 8 months, but now it started rattling, almost like the speaker has blown out. I rarely have my volume above 50, so I'm not sure what causes this. I've tried uninstalling and re-installing the latest drivers and no luck. I'm still on Window 8, haven't made the leap to 8.1 yet.

I hope this is a software problem, but I feel like it might be a hardware problem. I still have a warranty, is this worth doing an RMA on?

Good luck!

GarretG wrote:
My 2 month old notebook has a sound rattle on the right side near the power button. It has always been there but it is at the point where I cant stand it anymore. :mad: My sound drivers are all up to date and always have been. Does anybody know if ASUS hardware just sucks or what? The optical drive went out before this unit was even a month old. Anybody know if there's a way to make my sound not sound like a tin can on the highway?
I7
windows 8.1(yes it did it on windows 8 too)
8gb ram
Nvidia 660m 2gb
G55vw 2 months old

what's funny is I don't think mines blown. I can play with settings and it sounds better and worse but still bad. I've heard blown speakers they arn't blown this laptop is $1400 POS ASUS blew it bad. It almost sounds like a reverb issue.

GarretG wrote:
what's funny is I don't think mines blown. I can play with settings and it sounds better and worse but still bad. I've heard blown speakers they arn't blown this laptop is $1400 POS ASUS blew it bad. It almost sounds like a reverb issue.

Mine may not be blown, I'm thinking it may be a case rattle or something. When I turn off the sub woofer, everything sounds fine, just less bass. Since it's under warranty, I'd rather not go fiddling around inside searching for it, until it's out of warranty. I'm thinking to send in for repair, but I don't know how easy that process is.

Dr__Zchivago
Level 12
Original post:
As I understand it, the third speaker is on the far right corner (near the power button). Regardless of its misnomer, "subwoofer," it is a small speaker, and probably can't produce an audible response below 80 - 100 Hz.

The rattle you hear is the speaker vibrating at the natural frequency of some wire cluster, or at that of the metal grille at the back of the laptop. Every speaker on the planet will produce rattle when it emanates a sound at the natural frequency of its enclosure. That being said, it is still a laptop, which means that it has very limited power - and, in this case, space - for adequate padding and damping for an amazing sound system. You will never eliminate the "tinny" effect with a laptop - that's the way it is, you'd do best to get over it.

If an enclosure - in this case, the laptop case itself - is allowed to rattle or vibrate at its natural frequency long enough, it WILL loosen components and begin to rattle.

If you try to adjust the graphic equalizer in the Windows Playback Devices, you may be able to limit the frequency range that produces the rattle, but that's going to be the best solution as I see it.

Last post:
If you cannot solve the rattle issue with the graphic eq, and you are unwilling to open the case to search for loose components, then you should probably send it in for repair.

Once you have resolved the issue, and if you insist on high-fidelity sound, invest in a good set of headphones or a good set of speakers.

Dr. Z

GarretG
Level 7
I have been tinkering with the settings I have it sounding decent now. I am also running experimental drivers. its not perfect but its far better then what it was.

Dr__Zchivago
Level 12
If you want to isolate the specific frequencies that produce the rattle, then you could find a sound file that sweeps from around 10 Hz up to 16 kHz. Make a note of the frequencies that produce the rattle (there will be several harmonic frequencies that will do it), and EQ those down.

That'd be the engineer way to do it 😛