cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G551JM Laptop suddenly switch off after a few minutes

vanness_lyh
Level 7
Hey guys I'm using asus rog G551JM laptop. Currently, my laptop suddenly switch off after working a period. I had sent to a repair shop and the technician told me the chipset is damaged. The chipset for my laptop is HM87. I'm curious do I need to change the motherboard or just the chipset only? Which shop is good in repairing such things with reasonable price? And please tell me the price roughly as well thanks.
2 REPLIES 2

xeromist
So it does not matter whether it is running on battery or plugged in? There are several things that can cause the machine to suddenly die so how much do you trust the shop that diagnosed it? That is an expensive problem so it would be a shame to pay for additional parts & repair if that is not actually the problem.

Anyway, if you are confident that the shop is correct then you may want to contact ASUS to see if they will repair it for a fee. Otherwise you might need to find a donor motherboard on Ebay. It won't be cheap though. I think you're unlikely to find separate chips for sale since swapping them is beyond the abilities of most people. You'd need a hot air rework station.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Thanks for your reply, btw I'm sending my laptop to asus store to find out the problem. Normally I unplugged battery using in home. I think asus is the only shop that can replace the chipset. But I worry the repairing cost is high that is more that thousand plus, I better buy a new one rather than repair the old laptop.