cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G551 Single Audio Plug not working w/headset splitter for headsets with 2 plugs?

ccdox
Level 7
Both of my gaming headsets (Steelseries, Sennheiser) have two plugs; microphone and headphone. The G551 having just one jack led me to believe that all I need is the appropriate headset splitter/adapter (so I got this one http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B004SP0WAQ). When I get it all plugged in only the microphone works -- am I off base here and should instead be looking at picking up a USB soundcard to be able to use my gaming headset or is there something I'm missing? Would love help -- thanks in advance!!
2 REPLIES 2

castiboy
Level 7
Hi, I'm actually in a similar situation.

The jack works fine when using the headset that came with the laptop (there's a popup where you just have to check "headset".)
I would like to use a lapel mic (which came with my 2012 ROG laptop,) but there isn't a "line in" or "microphone" option, and "headset" doesn't work.

I was considering buying a splitter like yours but after reading about your experience with it I'm afraid it won't work either...

bartat404
Level 7
As castiboy mentioned, make sure you select "Headset" in the options on the pop-up that appears when you plug the cable in (Make sure you plug it in after you have plugged the mic and headphone leads into the cable.)

ASUS ROG GL551JW
Intel Core i7-4720HQ 16GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M