cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G550JK Electric Shocks !

Jessie2012
Level 7
Hi ROG Community

i just bought g550jk a couple of days ago. i noticed that when device is pluged in to power connecter iam getting electical/static shocks from the metal parts sometimes... it hurts a little sometimes !

is there a way to fix that without sendig it to repair ?
9 REPLIES 9

Darnassus
Status Under Review
You need to make sure your grounding pin is connected into the wall, and also that your house itself, is properly grounded.

Grounding allows excess electricity to path it's way into the earth, rather than you as electricity has a 'path preference'. With no ground, you're the path to what ever else you're touching.. be that a metal / wooden chair or anything slightly conductive.

You may want to contact an electrician to test your house for grounding.

Darnassus wrote:
You may want to contact an electrician to test your house for grounding.

Please do this.

Z

Jessie2012
Level 7
i called asus support for my country today. they told me that this is normal because of the aluminium casing. i asked them if i can bring device to the service.

the technician at the service center checked my notebook and coud not find any issues. he advised me allso to rub my hand on a couch or a pullover before using the notebook to avoid static shocks.

Darnassus
Status Under Review
Jessie2012, I must remind you that your laptop's charger is supplying 20volts 10amps.

1amp is enough to kill a human being.

Your arms are connected either side of your body where your heart is.

Your hands are touching a conductive metal surface.

You must make sure your charger has a grounding pin, and is connected to the wall.

I do not want to sew fear into you, but we are talking about electricity and your health.

My laptop is grounded, and I do not get electric shocks, HOWEVER if I pick up my iPhone when it's charging from the wall, and touch my laptop with my other hand at the same time, I can feel the electricity passing through me. This is making a path and should be avoided. I now no longer touch my iPhone while using my laptop.

You must make sure your ground is actually working in case of a short circuit.

Darnassus wrote:
Jessie2012, I must remind you that your laptop's charger is supplying 20volts 10amps.

1amp is enough to kill a human being.

Your arms are connected either side of your body where your heart is.

Your hands are touching a conductive metal surface.

You must make sure your charger has a grounding pin, and is connected to the wall.

I do not want to sew fear into you, but we are talking about electricity and your health.

My laptop is grounded, and I do not get electric shocks, HOWEVER if I pick up my iPhone when it's charging from the wall, and touch my laptop with my other hand at the same time, I can feel the electricity passing through me. This is making a path and should be avoided. I now no longer touch my iPhone while using my laptop.

Thank you for your tips 🙂 i am using that grounding pin charger ! my workdesk is in front of the heating i noticed that when i touch the heating with my feet iam felling that electricity.

Darnassus
Status Under Review
Jessie2012 wrote:
Thank you for your tips 🙂 i am using that grounding pin charger ! my workdesk is in front of the heating i noticed that when i touch the heating with my feet iam felling that electricity.

That is most likely the situation. If your heater under the desk is metal, then there's the path that's most likely being created. Hopefully your heater is grounded too, especially the outer case.

.... try not to rest your feets on it? :'x

code9523
Level 9
Asus G74SX> Asus G55VW 3D> Asus G75VW 3D> Asus G750JW> Asus G750JX> Asus G750JH

Sil3nc328
Level 7
Yeah i get the shocks too, but its alright.

Darnassus
Status Under Review
Sil3nc328 wrote:
Yeah i get the shocks too, but its alright.

':f