cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G55 won't boot up - no lights

kahlilj
Level 8
My G55VW will not boot up. There is no power light on, although the power cord is plugged in. I tried a hard reset (section e).

I purchased this unit earlier this year and shortly after noticed the battery life was brief. I also read a few posts that make me uncertain if the problem is with my battery or MB. Should I go ahead and replace the battery? If it is a dead/non working battery could this be the cause of no power and why it won't boot up?
10 REPLIES 10

jdfrench3
Level 12
Get a voltmeter and check the output of your charging brick. The voltage is written on the back of the charging brick. Does it match what your voltmeter shows? If it doesn't then replace the charging brick. If the charging brick is putting out the required voltage then replace the battery. Once you have everything back together if you still have no joy then it is most likely the motherboard. There is one exception, it could also be the DC POWER JACK Part No. : 12G14531103H.

It's an older laptop and worth less than what a motherboard replacement would cost. Availability of a good motherboard is going to be few and far between. Batteries and charging bricks can be found easily.

Good Luck
G752VSK, G75VW-3D, G51J, G1S
Homebuilt Windows Server

jdfrench3 wrote:
Get a voltmeter and check the output of your charging brick. The voltage is written on the back of the charging brick. Does it match what your voltmeter shows? If it doesn't then replace the charging brick. If the charging brick is putting out the required voltage then replace the battery. Once you have everything back together if you still have no joy then it is most likely the motherboard. There is one exception, it could also be the DC POWER JACK Part No. : 12G14531103H.

It's an older laptop and worth less than what a motherboard replacement would cost. Availability of a good motherboard is going to be few and far between. Batteries and charging bricks can be found easily.

Good Luck

Good plan! Thanks JD

jdfrench3 wrote:

Good Luck

I measured power from the charging cable at the plug tip and it was ~19.5 VDC..... Battery on order.

My question remains (and your post seems to imply the answer): if the battery is faulty or not working then will this prevent the computer from booting or powering up? Seems so....?

Replacement batteries are normally charged about 10-20% and will require charging out of the box. Once you have the battery in-place and laptop back in one piece, plug the charging brick into the wall and boot-up the laptop. It should have enough charge in the battery to at least boot-up the laptop once. Keep an eye on the charging icon and charge %. If it doesn't charge it is most likely the motherboard. Please keep in mind, the charging brick simply supplies DC voltage, it is a charging circuit on the motherboard that actually charges the battery.

Good Luck
Homebuilt Windows Server

jdfrench3 wrote:
Replacement batteries are normally charged about 10-20% and will require charging out of the box. Once you have the battery in-place and laptop back in one piece, plug the charging brick into the wall and boot-up the laptop. It should have enough charge in the battery to at least boot-up the laptop once. Keep an eye on the charging icon and charge %. If it doesn't charge it is most likely the motherboard. Please keep in mind, the charging brick simply supplies DC voltage, it is a charging circuit on the motherboard that actually charges the battery.

Good Luck

So just to be clear, if the battery is faulty then the laptop will NOT boot up? I'm just trying to understand the circuit required to power up the laptop. Thanks for your help.

It is not normally a faulty battery to prevent a laptop to boot. With a faulty battery, the laptop needs only be plugged in to allow a successful boot. What happens is a faulty battery destroys the charging circuit on the motherboard and then prevents bootup.

Many people use their laptop with the charging brick pugged-in to the wall all the time. That's OK, but keep in mind the battery will need to be replaced every couple years or so. If you continue to use the laptop with an old battery, the higher the chance the charging circuit on the motherboard will fail.

The charging circuit is also required for laptop operation. If the charging circuit fails, most often the motherboard cannot operate (no boot).

I had a G75VW (17 inch version of your G55VW) that had a motherboard fail because of the charging circuit. I have a separate battery charger that allowed me to charge the battery outside the laptop. I was able to charge the battery, install the battery, and use it to boot the laptop. The laptop was operational 30-40 minutes before the battery would fail. A motherboard replacement fixed the problem. This is the problem your laptop has.

Good Luck
Homebuilt Windows Server

jdfrench3 wrote:
It is not normally a faulty battery to prevent a laptop to boot. With a faulty battery, the laptop needs only be plugged in to allow a successful boot. What happens is a faulty battery destroys the charging circuit on the motherboard and then prevents bootup.

Many people use their laptop with the charging brick pugged-in to the wall all the time. That's OK, but keep in mind the battery will need to be replaced every couple years or so. If you continue to use the laptop with an old battery, the higher the chance the charging circuit on the motherboard will fail.

The charging circuit is also required for laptop operation. If the charging circuit fails, most often the motherboard cannot operate (no boot).

I had a G75VW (17 inch version of your G55VW) that had a motherboard fail because of the charging circuit. I have a separate battery charger that allowed me to charge the battery outside the laptop. I was able to charge the battery, install the battery, and use it to boot the laptop. The laptop was operational 30-40 minutes before the battery would fail. A motherboard replacement fixed the problem. This is the problem your laptop has.

Good Luck

Definitely not the battery. I ordered a new one anyway. What's involved with replacing the MB? I'd like to do it myself. Cost? Is it possible to upgrade it too?
Advice needed here! 🙂

Considering the age of your laptop, it is going to be hard to find an operational motherboard.

You should first tear down your laptop and get the correct part number of the motherboard. The P/N will be on a green label with black lettering. Then use the P/N to search for a replacement. Buy only fully tested boards. Make sure you can return the board if found to be defective. A quick EBAY search reveals cheap boards (most likely bad) are $40 and most likely good boards about $80. Purchase only by your motherboard's part number.

Find a good tear down video online to instruct you how to disassemble your laptop.

I would not recommend any upgrades, until you have the new motherboard up and running.

Personally, I would purchase a new replacement laptop.

Good Luck
Homebuilt Windows Server

Asus laptop won’t turn on with no light is a serious problem as the power light is not on or blinking signifies that your laptop is facing some serious problem like the AC adapter and power cord are not working properly.
The problem can be anything so in this case try the different solutions like
• Check your Laptop Charging
• Check the Laptop Battery, if it is removable then first remove it and then insert it to your laptop battery
• Check for the Hardware Issues
• If doing this won’t work for you then perform a hard reboot.
To find out more details read our guide “ Fix ASUS Laptop Won't Turn ON