cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G55 Built In Mic Issues (Static and Hiss)

M40A1Fubar
Level 7
Hey everyone,

I just picked up a G55SVW at Fry's 2 days ago and I am very happy with this laptop outside of one major issue; the built in mic. I am not sure if this is just a software/driver problem or if it is a hardware/ lack of shielding problem but the internal mic has horrid hiss and background static in all of my vent/TS/skype calls. Adjusting the mic levels helps it for a short time but then it comes back. Turning on noise cancellation and echo reduction in the VIA HD Audio Deck actually makes it worse. It also happens when I have headphones plugged in but still have the internal mic going as the primary. It also does it when using a analog headset with mic. USB headsets are fine. I have also tried turning up mic boost and down mic levels, lower mic boost to 0 and turn up levels, change recording frequencies, you name it I tried it. I am getting a bit frustrated because outside of that issue and the annoying volume control that dosn't control the LFE sub level bug, I am extremely happy with this system so far.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
10 REPLIES 10

dstrakele
Level 14
Just curious if any of you have the Akamai Web Interface listed as installed in "Control Panel - Uninstall a program"? @Jsl1ce has reported this utility was installed as a download manager when d/ling ASUS drivers from a certain link on the ASUS Support web site. It was responsible for static on his laptop until it was removed. I'm just speculating if it could also be responsible for the microphone issue you report.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT