cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G53SX-RH71 BIOS 209 Bricked?

DigiLink_IT
Level 7
Is it just me or is this extremely poor design? Why is this BIOS posted under downloads in support section if it has shown to cause massive problems?

It bricked my laptop when nothing bad happened. Flash completed without errors, power loss, etc. Matter of fact when it was done flashing it stated would reset after 2 seconds, upon reset all power was lost. Now laptop will not even register as being plugged in to adapter or outlet. Compounding the poor design of the BIOS, is that unlike most laptops (and usually expected of enthusiast brands like ASUS) there is no hard reset button or way to access CMOS battery without complete teardown, RMA, or voiding your warranty? Great engineering and design for DIY's and enthusiasts, sheesh!!!!

:mad:
9 REPLIES 9

Zygomorphic
Level 17
I wonder what is happening. I have been running on the BIOS 209 for quite some time, without any problems. I even flashed using the Windows utility, though I turned off all user programs and just waited for the BIOS flash to finish. I have a slightly older model, one with the original Sandybridge quad core CPU. Is the newer one (2670QM) causing problems? What else is different between the 2630QM and the 2670QM models?
I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee! 🙂
LINUX Users, we have a group!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23

dxboyz6146
Level 7
sorry to hear dat, but mine got no probs at all, running fine all the times ^^

So to make things even worse, I am now being told by ASUS that using their own software that flashing the BIOS voids the warranty and is considered CID (customer induced damage)? This is stated nowhere clearly on any documentation. When I asked one of the several ASUS reps I have had the pleasure of encountering to produce documentation stating this I was basically just given excuses on what ASUS considers modification. How is using software free provided by ASUS and free available for download (with no disclaimer on using), that if used damages my device and voids warranty, negligent or not acting in good faith?

I really smell a class action against ASUS if this is how they handle customers. I bought ASUS this time due to my previous good experience with their hardware. This current customer sevice I received has made me extremely upset after spending over 1,200$ on a device that I can go screw myself using your own unmodified software. What is wrong with people these days???

DigiLink IT wrote:
So to make things even worse, I am now being told by ASUS that using their own software that flashing the BIOS voids the warranty and is considered CID (customer induced damage)?

No, that's not correct. They cover this all the time.

In your first post, you commented about the added frustration of having no easy access to the battery, or the availability of a reset button (as often found on desktop MBs). Just to save you the trouble of a disassembly, in case you are considering it, that would not repair or reset your bricked BIOS anyway. There is no other option than to RMA it to Asus, or to drop by a service center if you're within driving distance.

Contact Marshall here on the Forum....he can advise you on getting warranty coverage for this. Fortunately, this is a quick repair and you should be back up & running soon. Don't let a few unknowledgeable Asus employees get you angry or upset...this is a common repair....it IS covered under warranty...and there's no benefit to elevating it into a big dispute. You just happened to talk to some boneheads.

sunninho
Level 7
Sorry yours got bricked. I'm running v209 with no problems - Sandy Bridge 2670QM.
G53SX-AH71:

• Core i7 2670QM
  • Nvidia GTX 560M 2GB
  • 32GB Corsair DDR3-1333
  • Intel 520 240GB SSD
  • Seagate Momentus XT 750GB Hybrid HD
  • Intel 6230 802.11n Bluetooth 3.0
  • Panasonic Blu-Ray Burner UJ-240
  • Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit

Did you flash from Windows, @sunninho, or from the Easy Flash utility in the BIOS? I have used the Windows utility twice without problems, or am I just lucky?
I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!

Zygomorphic wrote:
Did you flash from Windows, @sunninho, or from the Easy Flash utility in the BIOS? I have used the Windows utility twice without problems, or am I just lucky?

You are just lucky. It certainly won't fail every time, by any means, but updating a BIOS within the OS significantly raises the risk of bricking the BIOS.

To be clear though, flashing the BIOS is never completely risk-free. You are erasing and re-writing the computer's most fundamental & necessary instruction set....any miscue during this vulnerable minute or two can leave the computer brain-dead. It's just prudent practice to minimize the risk by using the safest possible method.

Thanks, I will do it from the BIOS from now on. Does it simply search for the USB drive, or is there a special sequence I need to go through?

Zygomorphic wrote:
Thanks, I will do it from the BIOS from now on. Does it simply search for the USB drive, or is there a special sequence I need to go through?

You must use a USB2.0 port (not 3.0). If the new BIOS file is in the root directory on the thumbdrive, EasyFlash should find it automatically. (If you like, you can browse through these instructions to familiarize yourself with EasyFlash.)