cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G53SX-RH71 Anyone?

vudugan
Level 7
New guy here..

I recieved this laptop bout a week and a half ago and for the most part I am enjoying it. I did and maybe still do have the Black Screen on Boot. Spoke with ASUS support about it and they had me reset the motherboard as I have seen posted throughout these forums beforehand. But now I have come across another issue that has pushed me towards just returning it and purchasing a completely diferent brand.

Ok, so I have read the bads about the sounds with the realtek/thx chip on mobo. I am completely disappointed over all with sounds from this unit. Thing is, the specs indicated that this unit had 4 speakers. I am positive i only have 2. I even got the Logitek z350 laptop speakers which greatly enhances sounds by far but i am not getting all the sounds.

If anyone out there has this unit, can you chime in with your experience? Are you dealing with the Black Screen on Boot up from time to time? Do you actually have 4 speakers responding to sound?

My best example of not getting all sounds are... Youtube and Iheartradio louder than games such as WoW and can barely hear Skyrim volume turned all the way up. Also, when playing Cityville, yes Cityville :P, I cannot hear the sounds of collecting the coins and other drops.

I have some pc experience. Was nursing my Gateway with upgrades and replaced mobo since 2000 up to this purchase. I really like this lappie and would not like to return it if someone can tell me if there is any possible fixes to my issues.

Any comments appreciated!!
G53SX-RH71

15.6" 1920 x 1080 Full HD (16:9) Matte Type Display
Intel Core i7-2670QM Processor, 2.2 GHz
IC Diamond Thermal Compound - CPU + GPU
Memory 12GB, PC3-10600/1333Mhz DDR3 - 3 x 4GB
Hard Drive 750GB/7200rpm 16MB Cache Buffer SATA-300 (SATA II 3GB/s)
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560M w/2GB GDDR5 295.73
14 REPLIES 14

PILGRIM
Level 11
Hi.

For the sound, turning on Realtek's built-in "Loudness Equalization" improves sound quality a bit.
(In taskbar > click Speakers > click Speakers icon > Properties > Enhancements).
I also use THX TruStudio Pro. I'm not complaining about the sound enhancement it gives.
ASUS G74SX-3DE

PILGRIM wrote:
Hi.

For the sound, turning on Realtek's built-in "Loudness Equalization" improves sound quality a bit.
(In taskbar > click Speakers > click Speakers icon > Properties > Enhancements).
I also use THX TruStudio Pro. I'm not complaining about the sound enhancement it gives.

This actually worked!!! All sounds can be heard now, Thx Mon!!!
G53SX-RH71

vudugan wrote:
This actually worked!!! All sounds can be heard now, Thx Mon!!!

Glad it helped your sound issues..:)
ASUS G74SX-3DE

Anyone having the screen issue get an answer as to what the actual problem is? I've had my G53SX about 3 months now which is beyond Newegg's return period for a computer and 2 nights ago mine started booting with no display. Like others have said
there is sound to indicate that windows has booted but the screen remains dead no ASUS logo or anything. I did manage to get it to turn on today by holding it upside down when i pressed the power button but as soon as I shut it down it wouldn't come back up again.

DannyClay wrote:
Anyone having the screen issue get an answer as to what the actual problem is? I've had my G53SX about 3 months now which is beyond Newegg's return period for a computer and 2 nights ago mine started booting with no display. Like others have said
there is sound to indicate that windows has booted but the screen remains dead no ASUS logo or anything. I did manage to get it to turn on today by holding it upside down when i pressed the power button but as soon as I shut it down it wouldn't come back up again.

Funny thing, mine seem to come on if i hold it at the front right corner. Basically a 1/4 the whole bottom portion of lappie. I just don't want to open it and the time is ticking for return but its been working. I figure something is loose or worse cracked... I just really need it right now..
G53SX-RH71

vudugan wrote:
Funny thing, mine seem to come on if i hold it at the front right corner. Basically a 1/4 the whole bottom portion of lappie. I just don't want to open it and the time is ticking for return but its been working. I figure something is loose or worse cracked... I just really need it right now..

I joined this forum just because of this post it helped me resolve my issue, i tried the method outlined by vudugan a few times and it got my screen working flawlessly until reboot ofcourse, it then occured to me that the gpu which is right underneath the laptop on the right side is either loose or out of place.

Solution # I disassembled and to my surprise all the screws were loose the GPU, wasnt out of place but im guessing it probably rocked a bit and wasnt making proper contact as i tend to pick up my laptop from the right side when moving it(do not practice this lol its bad).

Anyhow i took off the gpu cleaned the connectors and put it back in ensuring it was properly fitted held it down and fastened the screws in.

Immediately after reassemble screen works perfectly, no artifacts or lines etc.

What i had tried before:

1. Holding down power button-Temp Fix
2. Ccleaner and Driver Sweeper removed all nvidia drivers even sound in safe mode- Temp Fix
3. Removed additional ram i added- Temp Fix( Ran Memtest after reinstall didnt get any errors)
4. Uninstalled any new software that was added- No result
5. Disassembled pc to check cables and remove cmos battery- Temp Fix
6. Formatting HDD's- Temp Fix

None of these worked and im sure i tried more than that until the reseating of the GPU.

Thank you vudugan

dstrakele
Level 14
Here's a thread reporting a similar black screen on startup issue: http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?6123-Display-not-working It offers some suggestions you could try.

I wouldn't spend too much time trying to fix it and recommend keeping close track of your retailer's return or exchange date. If the problem persists, you want to exchange it for a new unit or return it for a refund.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

dstrakele wrote:
Here's a thread reporting a similar black screen on startup issue: http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?6123-Display-not-working It offers some suggestions you could try.

I wouldn't spend too much time trying to fix it and recommend keeping close track of your retailer's return or exchange date. If the problem persists, you want to exchange it for a new unit or return it for a refund.

Appreciate your research but that's where I started. Being an Android junkie/retired flashoholic, I know to Google before calling and holding :). I also purchased the lappie from Prostar PC. I just wanted to be able to customize a bit vs buying what was offered. I did not open the bottom of this pc, too worried about what may be said if sent back. Also noticed that sometimes when I pick up the unit with one hand, the keyboard flickers leaving me to believe something is loose or cracked. I'd like to return for same model if I can get more input on others and their sound but since Tuesday will be day 15 I need some answers before tomorrow. I use the example of Cityville cause I've played it so much I know what to expect to hear...
G53SX-RH71

gilbert
Level 10
vudugan wrote:
New guy here..

I recieved this laptop bout a week and a half ago and for the most part I am enjoying it. I did and maybe still do have the Black Screen on Boot. Spoke with ASUS support about it and they had me reset the motherboard as I have seen posted throughout these forums beforehand.

how do you go about resetting the motherboard , i also have a black screen on boot up for 15 seconds right after the windows logo... but only on boot up not on restart ....
G74SX-BBK8
i7 2670QM
16GB 1600MHz
NVIDIA GTX 560M 2GB
120GB KINGSTON HYPER X SSD
INTEL CENTRINO ULTIMATE-N 6300