cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G53s BSOD and OCZ Vertex3 SSD

JigglyWhack
Level 7
Greetings. First post, so please be gentle 😛

I have a new G53s which I installed an OCZ Vertex3 SSD as the primary drive (that was a crazy adventure all in it's own.)

Now I have 2 major problems, and I don't know if they are related or not, so I would like some help troubleshooting.

Problem 1) BSOD occasionally - happens as often as every hour or so, but sometimes takes as long as 8 hours.

Problem 2) Using HD Tune on my drive shows that it is working VERY slow compared to what it should be. It is only averaging about 230MBs.

Here is what I have done so far:

1) read a million posts here.
2) googled the crap out what I know
3) using the info from posts here - here is what I have done so far:
-Installed the SSD in the machine, left the 640GB original drive in for data (note, I swapped their physical locations if that matters)
-Upgraded bios to 2.09
-Ensured the SSD drive is on 2.15 (came that way, but verified it using the ocz toolbox)
-Clean Install of Windows7 ultimate from my technet description
-Installed all the drivers in this forum's sticky above on the latest drivers
-Made the suggested windows 7 tweaks for ssd's - disable prefetch etc
-did all 140+ of the windows 'suggested' windows updates

one note of interest: in the windows event log I only see one error: The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Ide\IdePort0.

I am sure I have missed something, or made an error somewhere, but I have exhausted my limited knowledge so any help would be appreciated.
10 REPLIES 10

dstrakele
Level 14
Hi @JigglyWhack - Let's try troubleshooting the BSOD's further. Download and run BlueScreenView from Nirsoft. It will determine the a) BugCheck Code, b) BugCheck String, c) 4 Parameters, and d) file(s) responsible for each BSOD. This information will help further troubleshoot the problem.

Exacty what are you doing on the laptop when these BSOD's occur? In other words, what steps are necessary to reproduce the BSOD on your system? The more detail you can provide, the better.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

I have not been able to reproduce the BSOD at will. It has happened most when the machine is at idle. It has happened once while clicking a song in Spotify, once while surfing in Chrome, once while using IE, once while inside of a VM using VMWare, and the rest of the time, I wasn't doing anything. Just came back to a machine with the BSOD.

I downloaded that app, and here what I believe you wanted to see. I only see one minidump file though... I expected more but what do I know.

==================================================
Dump File : 022712-8611-01.dmp
Crash Time : 2/27/2012 11:53:00 AM
Bug Check String : CRITICAL_OBJECT_TERMINATION
Bug Check Code : 0x000000f4
Parameter 1 : 00000000`00000003
Parameter 2 : fffffa80`090f5b30
Parameter 3 : fffffa80`090f5e10
Parameter 4 : fffff800`0319d8b0
Caused By Driver : i8042prt.sys
Caused By Address : i8042prt.sys+60bf50
File Description :
Product Name :
Company :
File Version :
Processor : x64
Crash Address : ntoskrnl.exe+7cc40
Stack Address 1 :
Stack Address 2 :
Stack Address 3 :
Computer Name :
Full Path : C:\Windows\Minidump\022712-8611-01.dmp
Processors Count : 8
Major Version : 15
Minor Version : 7601
Dump File Size : 303,399

dstrakele
Level 14
It looks like you've got a Bug Check 0xF4: CRITICAL_OBJECT_TERMINATION. The 0x3 in Parameter 1 indicates a process (rather than a thread) crucial to system operation has unexpectedly exited or been terminated.

If you look in the "Details" tab of the Properties of your OCZ Vertex3 SSD in Device Manager and select "Physical Device Object Name" for the Property in the drop-down box, is \Device\Ide\IdePort0 displayed as the value? If so, I suspect your SSD is involved. If I had this issue, I would run a CHKDSK C: /F /R to confirm the file system on it is sound. If it is, I might then suspect the SSD is faulty. See http://www.sevenforums.com/crashes-debugging/186947-out-blue-bsod-0xf4.html.

I would probably attempt to install Windows 7 on a parttion on the HDD in a dual boot configuration and then boot into it just to see if it resolves the BSOD's.

Some threads (http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic439748.html) mention the possibility of a virus corrupting i8042prt.sys, but I suspect your clean install of Windows 7 Ultimate makes this unlikely (although not impossible).

i8042prt.sys is typically involved with the keyboard or mouse. Are you using an external keyboard or mouse?

You could google with keywords "BSOD" and "0xF4" as well as "\Device\Ide\IdePort0" to see other threads with similar issues.

First, I am gonna go try the things you suggest.

Second, just so you can see, I just BSOD'd again while running another drive benchmark and this time the dump file says

Dump File : 022612-7612-01.dmp
Crash Time : 2/26/2012 4:32:25 PM
Bug Check String : CRITICAL_OBJECT_TERMINATION
Bug Check Code : 0x000000f4
Parameter 1 : 00000000`00000003
Parameter 2 : fffffa80`0b6cfb30
Parameter 3 : fffffa80`0b6cfe10
Parameter 4 : fffff800`031d48b0
Caused By Driver : vwifimp.sys
Caused By Address : vwifimp.sys+3ddbf50
File Description :
Product Name :
Company :
File Version :
Processor : x64
Crash Address : ntoskrnl.exe+7cc40
Stack Address 1 :
Stack Address 2 :
Stack Address 3 :
Computer Name :
Full Path : C:\Windows\Minidump\022612-7612-01.dmp
Processors Count : 8
Major Version : 15
Minor Version : 7601
Dump File Size : 303,399

dstrakele
Level 14
vwifimp.sys is a Virtual WiFi miniport driver. Like i8042prt.sys, I think it is more informational than the actual cause of the BSOD.

Did the System Event Log again report "The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Ide\IdePort0."? I think that (and particularly what physical device is using that port) is more revealing to your issue.

Random and hard-to-trace BSODs often indicate an instability in RAM at some memory address or block, not uncommon. May want to eliminate memory hardware troubles for sure before you go snooping thru software. Download iso of memtest86+ (http://www.memtest.org/download/4.20/memtest86+-4.20.iso.zip), burn the image onto cd, boot and run memtest86+ for three passes. If any errors are spotted they are the likely cause of your bsods, and will require a RAM upgrade.
--
G74SX-CST1-CBIL, i7 2630QM 2GHz
32GB DDR3 RAM @1333MHz
GTX560M 3GB DDR5 (192 bit)
17.3" LED 1920x1080
Sentelic TP, BIOS 203
Debian Linux Wheezy (Testing) Kernel 3.2, NVIDIA 295.40

@dstrakele I think your first instinct on the drive being bad was the issue. I bought a new Samsung 830 and kicked the vertex 3 to the curb. Windows install went fine and everything has been fantastic for a few hours now. I shall run this a few days before I officially declare you king of all that is righteous and holy...but its looking pretty good so far 😛 Only thing I see that doesn't seem correct is that the SSD is running about 350MB from HD Tune and I expected more.

@fostert I am gonna try your suggestion also, just to learn something and to check out my memory anyway.

Just wanted to say thanks to you both. I have been running perfectly for a couple of days now. The new Samsung drive is working great and I am sad the Vertex3 didn't live up to the hype for me.

I also bought some new ram, and wouldn't you know one of the sticks was bad, but I found that easy with the memtest suggestion. Will return that tomorrow.

I'm using g53sx and ocz vertex 3 as well. Its working fine for me now.
By any chance did you upgrade you RAM as well?

If yes, you might need to run Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool just to be sure everything is ok.

http://www.wintuts.com/Windows-Memory-Diagnostics-Tool

It might be worth trying out the steps here too:

http://geekmontage.com/texts/ocz-vertex-3-freezes-locks-up-stutters-and-crashes/