cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G531gw buyer beware!

Galvanized
Level 7
Hello everyone, First and foremost I would like to introduce myself.

My names Blake.

I have been an avid Asus customer since early 2000.

I recently bought an Asus G531GW laptop and am very disappointed for a numerous amount of reasons.

The first thing I would like to bring up is the CPU in my laptop was not intels most desirable CPU. First I was hearing this electronic buzzing when it was quiet in the room I couldn't figure out what it was and after days of googling the issue I had finally come across a thread here in the forums that was in depth about how to tweak the CPU by turning the C1E state off with throttlestep. It helped the electronic buzzing sound immensely but its still slightly there. I could get over that but then I noticed It has terrible thermal problems. Of course I didn't know this when I made the purchase. My cpu gets pretty hott while gaming upper 85-90c I have a massive cooling mat that reduced the temperature somewhat but over all still feel like its running way to hott. Ive read in multiple places about undervolting the cpu to deal with the heat problem but my thing is if I spent 1800 dollars on a laptop why should I have to deal with things like that? Also ive noticed that asus has pushed a bios out 305 but yet the website still has no information on what was fixed or what it does. I believe if you released a bios you should let the consumer know what it did. Especially since myasus client streamlines the update. Ive also noticed the soundcard on the laptop pops and distorts while gaming occasionally. Also something worth mentioning during gaming it will be running buttery smooth but then out of nowhere the FPS plummet. This has been happening while playing classic wow and a few other games. Ive always bought asus products love all the desktop stuff ive purchased but this laptop has left me feeling shorthanded.

Another thing I also wonder about is the asus softwares silent/performance/turbo modes

Whenever I use silent the cpu stays cooler then when I use performance or turbo. When I use performance the cpu will thermal throttle itself and we wont even go into turbo mode.

I noticed in the refresh of the G531GW they are putting the new cpus in them now which makes me wonder if they realized the last cpus used was a mistake.

If you are on the fence about buying this laptop I would highly recommend you wait until they figure all of this out.
12 REPLIES 12

Clintlgm
Level 14
Galvanized wrote:
Hello everyone, First and foremost I would like to introduce myself.

My names Blake.

I have been an avid Asus customer since early 2000.

I recently bought an Asus G531GW laptop and am very disappointed for a numerous amount of reasons.

The first thing I would like to bring up is the CPU in my laptop was not intels most desirable CPU. First I was hearing this electronic buzzing when it was quiet in the room I couldn't figure out what it was and after days of googling the issue I had finally come across a thread here in the forums that was in depth about how to tweak the CPU by turning the C1E state off with throttlestep. It helped the electronic buzzing sound immensely but its still slightly there. I could get over that but then I noticed It has terrible thermal problems. Of course I didn't know this when I made the purchase. My cpu gets pretty hott while gaming upper 85-90c I have a massive cooling mat that reduced the temperature somewhat but over all still feel like its running way to hott. Ive read in multiple places about undervolting the cpu to deal with the heat problem but my thing is if I spent 1800 dollars on a laptop why should I have to deal with things like that? Also ive noticed that asus has pushed a bios out 305 but yet the website still has no information on what was fixed or what it does. I believe if you released a bios you should let the consumer know what it did. Especially since myasus client streamlines the update. Ive also noticed the soundcard on the laptop pops and distorts while gaming occasionally. Also something worth mentioning during gaming it will be running buttery smooth but then out of nowhere the FPS plummet. This has been happening while playing classic wow and a few other games. Ive always bought asus products love all the desktop stuff ive purchased but this laptop has left me feeling shorthanded.

Another thing I also wonder about is the asus softwares silent/performance/turbo modes

Whenever I use silent the cpu stays cooler then when I use performance or turbo. When I use performance the cpu will thermal throttle itself and we wont even go into turbo mode.

I noticed in the refresh of the G531GW they are putting the new cpus in them now which makes me wonder if they realized the last cpus used was a mistake.

If you are on the fence about buying this laptop I would highly recommend you wait until they figure all of this out.

Seems you had all these issues from the start you should have returned to the seller for replacement or refund, most have a 30 grace period
Failing that how has support and Repair worked for you you don't mention having worked with them?

I haven't seen many post about these issues with these units on here?
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

Galvanized
Level 7
Although I appreciate the time you took to type that outside from the obvious it really didn't give much insight on any of the issue's mentioned.

I didn't recognize them right out of the gate. Micro center offers a 14 day return policy on laptops purchased from their store. I have not yet reached out to Asus support yet.

You can read more about the so called :coil whine" here

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?108156-Stuttering-Buzzing-sound-coming-from-my-laptop

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?103230-Asus-ROG-Strix-GL503GE-SCAR-wrong-ram-slot-scratchy...

If you want to see the threads about the cpu temperatures just google "i7-9750h" temperatures safe

With that said I was reaching out to the forum community here to see if maybe there was any help or possibly someone with the same laptop that could offer me some reassurance this was normal.

I have also had a serious problem with this laptop;

A few days ago, Asus Live Update informed me my Keyboard needed new Firmware, which it had downloaded, and asked if I wanted to install it.

I said yes.

After the install, the the keyboard lights didn't work anymore, and the laptop keyboard also stopped working.

I have no idea how to roll back the keyboard firmware. I have logged I think three tickets with Asus, with no reply, in the past few days. Then, frustrated, I called their Service line, and was told to take it to an agent (who is a really long way away from me) and they will send it away to be repaired. This might take 14 days.

How does anyone think this is good customer service?

Their update remotely broke my laptop. The only way to fix it is take half a day off work, drop my laptop to a company a LONG way away. Then go without a laptop for 14 days. Then take another half day off work.

They remotely broke it. Why can't they remotely fix it? Or point me to the Firmware, and some instructions for rollback?

Unhappy Asus Customer :mad:

barell4
Level 7
i bought this laptop in past few weeks, and i dont really have any issue except temps, i replaced stock thermal paste to thermal grizzly kryonaut and undervolted -0.155, temps still reach 95c+ on shadow of the tomb raider. idk what else i can do now.. 😕

barell4 wrote:
i bought this laptop in past few weeks, and i dont really have any issue except temps, i replaced stock thermal paste to thermal grizzly kryonaut and undervolted -0.155, temps still reach 95c+ on shadow of the tomb raider. idk what else i can do now.. 😕

This is exactly the reason why I have felt the way I have. Why do you have to undervolt the cpu to reduce temperatures? Also why does ASUS a gaming geared company not apply good thermal paste? I don't want to have to crack my laptop open and do all of this because they put a bad CPU in our machines. I am assuming the laptops CPU runs this hott because intel had to answer to AMD's lineup so they released a cpu that had high thermals to compete. Either way im sorry to hear you are expierincing similar issues. Does you cpu make an electronic scratching noise as well? (when plugged into the wall)

barell4 wrote:

Well first of all, congrats on your CPU! I can't even undervolt 80mV...
Anyways, I have had similar heat concerns until I realized that this laptop has 2 big shared heat pipes with GPU. Basically you need to put some heat on GPU for GPU fan to help cool the CPU properly. Also, running games in Turbo mode helps alot. I know, how can giving more power to CPU help with cooling but it does somehow... @.@. I was seeing 95+ degrees running Gears 5 on Balanced/Performance mode but when I switched to Turbo and uncapped FPS to put more load on GPU, cooling system brought CPU temps down to mid 80 degrees or lower. Go figure.

How I resolved overheating

Hey, I finally got a handle on thermal behavior of my Strix G731 laptop and thought I would share it with you.
Undervolting Core and Cache to the same level is important, even if you can only undervolt less than ideal.
In my case I settled on -80mV.
However, this isn't the only thing that affects the thermal performance of these units.
For whatever reason, ASUS has completely unlocked PL1 and PL2 limits(70 and 107 respectively).
PL1 limit being steadystate power limit and will determine your long term heavy load performance. Often this number is set to TDP value of the processor, in this case 45W according to Intel. But ASUS Strix G can handle more than that. After much tinkering, I came to around 55W for this value. Your number may be a bit higher or less. After that PL2 limit needs to be set. By default, this number is set to 90 in Throttlestop and XTU but this is way too high. About 75W level is enough to send the processor into Tjunction temp (100 degree Celsius). This number should be set to 1.25 x PL1 or somewhat less in order to provide enough power for short term boost, yet keep the CPU temps in reasonable level. I ended with 65W as conservative estimate. Doing this will keep your laptop CPU temps from climbing to 95+ degrees and also provide best steadystate (longterm workload) performance for your system.
Here is a very good article on this mess: https://www.anandtech.com/show/13544...cted-tdp-turbo

I hope this helps!

gr8john6 wrote:
How I resolved overheating

Hey, I finally got a handle on thermal behavior of my Strix G731 laptop and thought I would share it with you.
Undervolting Core and Cache to the same level is important, even if you can only undervolt less than ideal.
In my case I settled on -80mV.
However, this isn't the only thing that affects the thermal performance of these units.
For whatever reason, ASUS has completely unlocked PL1 and PL2 limits(70 and 107 respectively).
PL1 limit being steadystate power limit and will determine your long term heavy load performance. Often this number is set to TDP value of the processor, in this case 45W according to Intel. But ASUS Strix G can handle more than that. After much tinkering, I came to around 55W for this value. Your number may be a bit higher or less. After that PL2 limit needs to be set. By default, this number is set to 90 in Throttlestop and XTU but this is way too high. About 75W level is enough to send the processor into Tjunction temp (100 degree Celsius). This number should be set to 1.25 x PL1 or somewhat less in order to provide enough power for short term boost, yet keep the CPU temps in reasonable level. I ended with 65W as conservative estimate. Doing this will keep your laptop CPU temps from climbing to 95+ degrees and also provide best steadystate (longterm workload) performance for your system.
Here is a very good article on this mess: https://www.anandtech.com/show/13544...cted-tdp-turbo

I hope this helps!

I got my Laptop from HID-Evolution with Thermal paste replaced while purchasing. Mine highest temp recorded is around 87 in turbo mode. No issues till now in-regards to Fan noise, Keyboard, or Lighting anything.

Mine not even Undervolted yet, hope i would get even less temps once i undervolt.

ugendarraju wrote:
I got my Laptop from HID-Evolution with Thermal paste replaced while purchasing. Mine highest temp recorded is around 87 in turbo mode. No issues till now in-regards to Fan noise, Keyboard, or Lighting anything.

Mine not even Undervolted yet, hope i would get even less temps once i undervolt.

You replaced it with what brand of thermal paste?