cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G53 Ridiculous Fan noise

Rarius
Level 7
A day or two ago, my G53SW's top right fan (When looking at the keyboard) Began to make ludicrous amounts of noise, even when I cleaned out the vents with compressed air (And I did it thoroughly, as much as I can possibly do within my knowledge and without absolutely dismantling EVERYTHING about it.) Before I cleaned it, it was significantly louder (As in, I could hear it down the hall), yet it still sounds louder than it usually did under high strain.

It makes this noise regardless of what is going on, strain, or even idling. The fan seems to even vibrate the damn computer.
8 REPLIES 8

Pr0cKz3d
Level 7
I've got the exact same issue. It's apparently a ball bearing mucking up in the fan itself, and I was told to RMA asap and get it fixed before it breaks completely and the GPU overheats. (The right side fan is the GPU fan, while the left side is the CPU fan just so you know)

PILGRIM
Level 11
No doubt, a helpful tip, Pr0cKz3d..

But considering this thread is around 8 months old, one would just hope
the OP is still around to heed your call.

On a more positive side, others (including me) might benefit from your info
when a similar need arises in the future..:)
ASUS G74SX-3DE

Figured I should bump this thread instead of starting a new one. I'm having the same problem; my GPU fan (or at least from what I understand the right-hand one is my GPU fan) started getting really loud lately. Sometimes it'll be fine, even when it's running, but it seems like once it cranks up to higher speeds it's just dying on me or something. I've linked a video I made of it below. So what do you guys think, is this something I could possibly remedy by opening the computer up and blowing all the dust out or am I gonna need to send it in?

dstrakele
Level 14
Is your laptop a G53 model like the OP's? If it is a G75, you can really open it up and clean the fans.

I'd try blowing out the fan intakes and exhausts with compressed gas before an RMA.

Also, confirm it is not a thermal issue by obtaining CPU and GPU temperatures.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

Yeah, it's a G53. I already tried blowing out the vents and that seemed to help for a couple days but then it went back to being ridiculously loud. Excuse my ignorance, but I'm unsure of exactly how to go about obtaining temperatures; is there something that comes with the laptop or should I download a third-party program of some sort?

Edit: Nevermind, looked around in the forum and found info on the temp monitoring program. I'll install that and post once I get the results.

Edit2: Pic below.

chrsplmr
Level 18
As a general rule .. it is Never a good idea to 'bump' an old post 'with a similar issue' ..
Post your own New Thread ... right to the top, fast and furious.

Personally when I see long thread .. and there are some with 1,700+ replies .. I Never consider
that it is a 'similar or same' issue .. just ongoing commentary .. just a fyi..

Since 'Cool and Quiet' are the hallmark of these Gaming Monsters ... then a noisy fan ??? Not normal.
Indeed sounds like a bearing ...
or a cat caught in a sweeper during a chalk board chalk or pig squealing contest .. hard to tell.c.

chrsplmr wrote:
Since 'Cool and Quiet' are the hallmark of these Gaming Monsters ... then a noisy fan ??? Not normal.
Indeed sounds like a bearing ...
or a cat caught in a sweeper during a chalk board chalk or pig squealing contest .. hard to tell.c.

LOL!! What?.. My ears got that "eeeeeekkk" sound just by imagining what you just described!..
The follow-up-poster's issue is somber, but your analogy to it is totally hilarious.. Love it..
ASUS G74SX-3DE

chrsplmr
Level 18
hahhaha .. i thought everybody knew that the best way to make a pig squeal was to chase it into
a classroom during a chalk board chalk skreeching contest pushing a sweeper with a cat caught in
the churning brushes .... which i suspect is what the OP hoaxed in making the above recording .. hahhaa

or ..

bad fan bearings ... hahhahaa (thnx pilgrim ..).c.