cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G501VW Soldered 8GB RAM not being used but installed 8GB RAM is

justicious
Level 7

I installed this memory a while ago and it was working fine at 16GB for at least a year. I didn't really notice the lack of 8 gb until I recently was gaming a more intensive game. I have tried updating BIOS, but there is not way for me to change any timings in the system BIOS because ASUS does not want me to brick my computer. I don't know why it would work for a while then randomly stop. Originally I thought my installed 8gb failed but CPU-Z shows otherwise.

Any ideas before I tear it apart and see if it will boot on the old ram?
9 REPLIES 9

jdfrench3
Level 12
I believe the onboard memory is in slot 1 and your installed memory is in slot 2. Check your CPU-Z Slot 2 and post.

Here are copies of my ROG CPU-Z:
G752VSK, G75VW-3D, G51J, G1S
Homebuilt Windows Server

It seems upon further searching that the onboard ram supplied is usually hyundai (SK Hynix) or samsung. Confirming it is not recognizing the onboard memory

Is there a BIOS setting for memory use?

Look under Graphics Configuration.
Homebuilt Windows Server

justicious
Level 7
slot 2 is empty and the brand of ram that I installed is the G.skill ddr4 2132 mhz.

justicious
Level 7
Only option is to allocate memory(up to 256?MB). No configuration settings unfortunately

Is that 256MB option activated?
Homebuilt Windows Server

justicious
Level 7
its at 64mb

If you remove the memory you installed, will the laptop bootup or does it hang during Power On Self Test?

If the laptop does bootup without your added memory then you have a software problem. I would suggest you perform a Windows 10 recovery procedure using the OEM partition.

If the laptop hangs, then I agree, the onboard memory is bad. I think it would require a new motherboard to fix.

Good Luck
Homebuilt Windows Server

justicious
Level 7
Yea it seems that is my only test method left. I don't really want to tear it apart again as it never fit 100% the same as before and a corner is bent. I will just live with 8gb and ram building a gaminc pc to run the latest games. TY