cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G501VW annoying CPU Noises

alina_b
Level 7
I bought my G501VW-FY081T Notebook yesterday and everything seems fine, but I have one serious issue.

The notebook constantly makes annoying noises that sound like a really old HDD is indexed. Permanent rattling and scratching, hearable in quiet environments.

I noticed it comes from the CPU as ist is constant at 100% clock and gets loud every time the clock jumps over 70%.
In windows every click or opening a window produces noise. If I set max CPU to 50% there is almost nothing.

The noise is still there when I disable the mechanical Harddisk and turn the screen off. Has nothing to do with the fan.

Also a plugged in a wireless logitech mouse produces an additional constant low bleeping noise.

Can I do anything about it besides returning? Is it a manufacturing error that all G501VW have? Does yours have the issue? I ask because there is another buyer on German Amazon that has the exact same issues and there are only 2 reviews yet.
5 REPLIES 5

link626
Level 7
mine has it too.

lots of notebooks chirp and whine

Hi I have this notebook for 2 months now, I can hear the fans constantly running if I listen carefully. Also the CPU scratching noise if I put my ear close to the F key on the keyboard, but not when sitting normally behind it.
At the beginning I had this scratching problem too, the following things worked for me:
1 unplugging the notebook
2 plugged in notebook, with lots of heavy programs opened.

Maybe this helps, besides the noise I like this laptop because it is fast. (noise doesnt bother me anymore that much)
I settled with this notebook because I had ordered 2 different ones which made much worse noise.

It's driving me crazy... The rattling noise under the f key happens all the time. My former UX32VD has absolutely no noise, I don't understand why this is so bad. When it's processing an intensive task, it won't do it, but as soon as it's finished it will do it again.

It also won't do it in power save mode, but I bought this computer for high performance.

I'm returning it...

Hello everyone,

I have the G501VW-76B96PB1.
My cpu also make noises even when i minimize or maximize an application.
Since i updated the BIOS from the ASUS site, it reduced a lot, but, sometimes it still happens.

Is there someone who solved this problem?

Best regards.

cl-Albert
US Customer Loyalty Agent
Haven't tried it on a unit to know if this will help, but if you're interested, look under your Windows Power options to 'change plan settings', 'change advanced power settings', and finally 'processor power management.'

Not sure if you will see the same thing, but if the problem only occurs while plugged into AC power, try to change the 'system cooling policy' for 'plugged in' to 'passive' and see if there is any difference.

Otherwise, try changing the 'minimum processor state' to a higher number to see if there is any difference, but if you raise the 'on battery' setting, it will decrease your battery life some.