cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G501JW Win 8.1 start menu auto pop-up unintentionally - solved?

hotshotaha
Level 7
Hi ROGamers,

I have been wondering regarding a recurring issue in Win 8.1 in which the Start Menu will just pop out even if I didn't press any Start button.
I have tried to check settings everywhere but still the issue remains. What could be the problem here?

Any feedback is highly appreciated. Thanks!
6 REPLIES 6

redduc900
Level 9
Uninstall the Asus Screen Saver.
Laptop: Asus G750JZ

redduc900 wrote:
Uninstall the Asus Screen Saver.

Hi redduc900,

I have just uninstall ASUS Screen Saver and also the Smart Gesture to be sure. Now so far the issue has been resolved.

Thanks guys!:)

Gps3dx
Level 12
This might give you a hint.
Note that synaptics is a touchpad driver, that is similar in many functions to ELAN driver which probably sits in your G501JW.
thus, search to see in you got ELAN driver ( from ASUS ), then enter its config, enter "Edge Gesture" then "uncheck Switch Running Applications," as written in that link.
Asus G751JT
Samsung EVO 850 120GB + 1TB HDD 7200RPM
Cleaned installed Win 10 HOME
My Guides:

• [POST=538713]ROG LAPTOPS: COMPLETE DRIVER LIST ![/POST]
  • [POST=538713]How to install windows 8/8.1/10 on any UEFI supported laptop the PROPER way[/POST]
  • [POST=538711]HOW TO (EASILY!) UPGRADE FROM WIN7 SP1/8.1 WITHOUT GOING THROUGH THE UPGRADE PROCESS ITSELF ![/POST]
  • [POST=605307]HOW TO REMAP FN+KEY AND SPECIAL BUTTONS: "STEAM", "ROG" & "SHADOWPLAY"[/POST]
  • [POST=539663]Win 10 x64: SETUP USB @SUPERSPEED, NO HANG-UPS! | ACCELERATES USB 3.0/2.0 TRANSFER RATE SPEED TWICE![/POST]

Gps3dx wrote:
This might give you a hint.
Note that synaptics is a touchpad driver, that is similar in many functions to ELAN driver which probably sits in your G501JW.
thus, search to see in you got ELAN driver ( from ASUS ), then enter its config, enter "Edge Gesture" then "uncheck Switch Running Applications," as written in that link.

Hi Gps3dx,

I have tried your suggestion on disabling the touchpad settings. However, the issue persists.

What could be other solutions?

cl-Albert
US Customer Loyalty Agent
fyi.
If anyone is interested, this sticky thread under the G750 useful threads sticky has more information about disabling the Edge Gesture function in the Smart Gesture touchpad software which can be a little tricky to access the first time if you're not familiar with it.

Hope it's okay to provide this general link for touchpad issues, but check the first item if interested: 1. Subject: Win8 Games Randomly Minimizing while using Touchpad.

Thanks, and hope it helps.

Just format your laptop, it the only way i figured that could worked out.