cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G46VW Nvidia Driver Upgrade Bricks Laptop

Dane_Henson
Level 7
So In Januaury got an Asus g46 from my local Best Buy. I noticed that the Nvidia driver was still at 306 which would seriously need an upgrade since im playing a lot of new games that needed the optimization. MY first instinct was to install the newest
WHQL driver and install it, so I did. After install itemmediatly bricked my system and would not let me do anything on my laptop,luckily, I was able to use the Windows 8 reset feature and return my laptop to factory settings. So I have been waiting now for myNvidia control panel to give me the clear to install new drivers, and sure enough, the other day the notification popped up and
prompted me to upgrade to 314 Beta drivers. I did it and once again it bricked my system, forcing me to do another system
restore. So are there no working driver upgrades for this laptop? Should I install the 314 WHQL? Im I doing something terribly
wrong? Help me out my fellow gamers!
15 REPLIES 15

JwPwns
Level 10
....grab an external drive n put the install files there so u you don't to download anything everytime you reset. Did you follow the steps they told you to do? perhaps try a different source to get the nvidia driver
Asus G46 vw
3rd Gen Intel® Core™ i7-3820QM processor
16GB-DDR Corsair Vengence 1600
128GB Samsung 830 Msata SSD + 750 GB HDD
GTX 660m + Windows 7 ultimate db Windows 8 pro

slim_radio
Level 7
I too had this problem though it's not a brick.. After the install of the latest graphics driver once you boot your lockscreen shows as normal and even allows you to sign in and see your start screen. Though as soon as you load your desktop it shows a black screen with a flashing battery Icon in the top left. It then immediately sends you back to your lockscreen! Super frustrating that I had to do a full recovery last night.. I thought maybe it had been a virus but today I tried updating them again and had the same problem!

How to fix it:
Reboot your laptop and hold down F9.
Once your'e at the windows 8 repair screen select repair then go to advance options
next select reset options and press 5 for "safe mode with networking"
when your laptop resets go to your control panel and un-install your nvidia graphics drivers...
reset your laptop.

This is where I'm at. Now that the nvidia drivers are un-installed I can normal boot outside of safe mode and run on the integrated intel HD graphics.

dstrakele
Level 14
For those reporting problems after installing the new NVIDIA drivers:

1) What laptop model# do you have?

2) What BIOS version are you currently running?

3) What procedure are you using for NVIDIA installation? Please be detailed in your explanation.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

dstrakele
Level 14
For those reporting problems after installing the new NVIDIA drivers:

1) What laptop model# do you have?

2) What BIOS version are you currently running?

3) What version of Windows is installed?

4) What is the version of the NVIDIA driver causing this problem?

5) What procedure are you using for NVIDIA installation? Please be detailed in your explanation.

6) What Antivirus software are you currently running?

I'm suspicious of Windows Update also attempting to install NVIDIA drivers, resulting in mixed binary versions (see http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3170). I recommend configuring Windows Update to allow YOU to choose whether to download and install Updates to avoid this type of issue.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

Myself.. I'm installing on the Asus G46VW -BHI5N43, updating to the latest 660m driver on nvidia's website (314.22) just installed it right over my previous driver though it automatically uninstalls the old one for you. I tried installing with and without the new nvidia experience. Did a standard full install (not custom). As for my BIOS version.. Whatever comes stock.. Just bought this about 2-3 weeks ago. Running Win 8, 64bit.

Ray_Khouw
Level 7
I had no issue updating my video card when i had my laptop. Maybe you'll have to RMA it? Expect 1 month+ for servicing though