Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G46GVW ordered from HID

generic
Level 7
I've ordered my G46 from HID. Looking forward to it:

Changes made from the base were:
Intel i7-3840QM
1366 x 768 (shall upgrade to 16x9 when available_)
Crucial M4 SATA3 6Gb/s 256GB mSATA SSD
Intel Centrino Wireless-N 2230 2x2 MIMO
1 Year HIDevolution Global Warranty with LIFETIME HIDevolution Technical Support
Windows 8

I maxed out on the mSATA as it is harder for me to upgrade later. The RAM screen and hard disc are easy to replace, so I shall do this later on, when wife lets me part with more cash (or does not notice...).

The 1 year HID warranty includes both way shipping for repairs twice annually. A company that is prepared to offer this service either has a bad business model, or performs high quality work. I suspect the latter.

I suspect to hate Windows 8 and buy Windows 7 later, but decided to give it a shot... Or more than likely I shall install Ubuntu.
G46VW - Intel Core i7-3840QM @ 2.8 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660m 2GB, Crucial m4 256Gb mSATA SSD, 500 Gb Seagate Momemtus Hybrid HDD, 8 GB RAM, 14" 1366x768/720p screen resolution, Intel Centrino Wireless-N 2230 2x2 MIMO.
28 REPLIES 28

xeromist wrote:
$1974 USD as listed in OP. HID has a configurator on their website so you can see how much various builds would cost, no secret. Not sure if they ship to Croatia. 🙂
http://www.hidevolution.com/asus-g46vw-bhi5n43-2gb-nvidia-gtx-660m-14.html

i think you meant 1,079. one thousand and seventy nine dollars.

gabriox wrote:
i think you meant 1,079. one thousand and seventy nine dollars.

Nope. The price I listed was with the upgraded CPU, SSD, support, etc. The CPU alone is a $500 upgrade.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Hey, Ted!

Not sure if you remember me but I'm Jozef, you answered some of my questions about the warranty at HID support 🙂
My G46 arrived today! Thank you again.

Listen up everybody, HID email support is amazing and so is their service. There's no incorrect auto replies when you ask them questions and they also answer all your questions properly.
My customized G46 arrived in the Netherlands, Europe within 5 days. I was expecting to be waiting for about 2 weeks.

I've got one problem with booting from the external DVD drive but I've made another thread for it here Please have a look!

camu wrote:
Hey, Ted!*

Not sure if you remember me but I'm Jozef, you answered some
of my questions about the warranty at HID support :)*

My G46 arrived today! Thank you again.*

Listen up everybody, HID email support is amazing and so is
their service. There's no incorrect auto replies when you ask
them questions and they also answer all your questions
properly.*

My customised G46 arrived in the Netherlands, Europe within 5
days. I was expecting to be waiting for about 2 weeks.*

I've got one problem with booting from the external DVD drive
but I've made another thread for it here Please have a
look!*

I typed this on my phone so sorry for the formatting.

Hi Jozef. Thank you for the kind words! Great to hear you received your G46 quickly and safely. I replied to your other thread (another user replied but my tech said there was one additional setting you had to disable). If you need more personalized support relating to your product, you can always open a support ticket on our website, or email us at support at hidevolution dot com (which will essentially open a support ticket automatically). We offer LIFETIME technical support on any product we sell.
HIDevolution
Computers \ Electronics \ Mobile Devices

Zygomorphic
Level 17
Let us know how the LINUX install goes! 🙂 We would love to have a log of what works and what doesn't. I would advise against Ubuntu, considering that they send your search queries back to Amazon in exchange for money. While I don't begrudge them trying to generate some cash, the phone-home software should be opt-in, not opt out.
I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee! 🙂
LINUX Users, we have a group!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23

fostert
Level 12
generic wrote:
...Or more than likely I shall install Ubuntu.

Best upgrade you could possibly do. The only thing windows are good for is telling you there is a wall in your way that is keeping you from freedom. 😉

And yes, @Zygo is right: avoid ubuntu....normally I would never steer anyone away from linux, but this distro is behaving an awful lot like microshaft lately, esp. with the amazon phone-home app defaulted to on. Linux mint seems to be a popular choice these days, but I am partial to debian....the most diverse set of packages available for it, and the best package manager (synaptic) I've ever used. And debian is the only distro my sysadmin has ever seen that can upgrade itself completely to a major new version number, without breaking anything.
--
G74SX-CST1-CBIL, i7 2630QM 2GHz
32GB DDR3 RAM @1333MHz
GTX560M 3GB DDR5 (192 bit)
17.3" LED 1920x1080
Sentelic TP, BIOS 203
Debian Linux Wheezy (Testing) Kernel 3.2, NVIDIA 295.40

fostert wrote:
Best upgrade you could possibly do. The only thing windows are good for is telling you there is a wall in your way that is keeping you from freedom. 😉

And yes, @Zygo is right: avoid ubuntu....normally I would never steer anyone away from linux, but this distro is behaving an awful lot like microshaft lately, esp. with the amazon phone-home app defaulted to on. Linux mint seems to be a popular choice these days, but I am partial to debian....the most diverse set of packages available for it, and the best package manager (synaptic) I've ever used. And debian is the only distro my sysadmin has ever seen that can upgrade itself completely to a major new version number, without breaking anything.

Allow me to throw my (limited) weight around in favor of Debian. The package manager there, as @fostert said, is second only to the next version of Synaptics that hasn't come out yet. 😄 It has a gazillion packages, so there is plenty of software ready to install. Also, both Ubuntu and Mint are derived from Debian, so you can go straight to the source. Mint is good, from what I hear, and is a variant on Ubuntu without all the Canonical-imposed problems. I have Debian in a VM, and it seems to work quite well. Personally, I use OpenSUSE, but that is a matter of preference more than anything else.
I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee! 🙂
LINUX Users, we have a group!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23

Tomislav
Level 11
2000 $ is a ****load of money. Hope it's worth it. well compared to a macbook pro it's a bargain. If I had that kind of money I would build my self a decent gaming rig...since I'm pleased with my g75vx as it is...
ASUS G75VX
Win 8, i7-3630QM, 2,4 GHz, GeForce GTX 670MX, 8 GB Ram,120 Gb Samsung 840 SSD+750 Gb HDD

Tomislav wrote:
2000 $ is a ****load of money. Hope it's worth it. well compared to a macbook pro it's a bargain. If I had that kind of money I would build my self a decent gaming rig...since I'm pleased with my g75vx as it is...

True, but it's much more difficult to upgrade a laptop, especially when doing so voids your warranty. For many people it's worth paying extra to get that better performance up front and a longer useful life before they have to buy a whole new one.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Tomislav wrote:

well the total cost for mine with the upgrade of i7 3820qm will only be around $1400 but then my msata ssd size is only 128gb

and building a desktop gaming rig now days are much cheaper. the GPU and CPU in desktop form runs way faster for as much as nearly half the price, i built myself one with FX6100 , Radeon HD6870 crossfire (best bang for your money), and SSD with 1tb storage for little under 900 all parts from newegg
Asus G46 vw
3rd Gen Intel® Core™ i7-3820QM processor
16GB-DDR Corsair Vengence 1600
128GB Samsung 830 Msata SSD + 750 GB HDD
GTX 660m + Windows 7 ultimate db Windows 8 pro