Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G46 G46VW Bios Mod Unlock Overclock Update Tweak

ModJPB
Level 7
G46VW Modded Bios
Unlocked - Overclocked - Updated

A modded bios with firmware updates, unlocked hidden settings, and enabled performance features unavailable before.
Thank you to those who helped with the mods! Doink, Dreamonic, Fernando & SonicX

Disclaimer: I take no responsibility for damage to your laptop. Heat and power could go beyond design causing damage. Many unlocked settings, when changed, can cause your system to not boot. BIOS reset jumper does not work nor does flashback feature. If new setting prevents system start, you will need an external programmer or solder a new programmed BIOS chip. Some unlocked settings don't seem to have an affect when changed.

---> Download: G46VW Mod BIOS v5 4/14/18 Beta <---

G46VW Bios210 Base:
UNLOCKED Chipset menu and hidden options for CPU and memory overclocking and adjustable timings.

Overclock CPU Boost Multipliers

37xxQM series and higher - Upto 4 multipliers

K series - Unlimited

GTX660m VBIOS: Disable SECURE BOOT & FAST BOOT, then enable CSM.

Overclock Limit - raised +405
Overvolt- Adjustable upto 1.20V

Updated:

Atheros Ethernet: 2.0.2.6/2.1.1.1 ---> 2.0.6.6/2.1.1.5

Intel Raid/SATA: 11.6.0.1702 ---> 15.1.0.2545

Intel VBIOS: 2137 ---> 2171

Intel GOP IvyBridge: 3.0.1023 ---> 3.0.1030

Intel CPU Microcode

IvyBridge: 15 ---> 1F

SandyBridge: 28 ---> 2D

Intel ME: 8.1.10.1286 ---> 8.1.70.1590 (Run METool.exe to update)

Miscellaneous
New Static Boot Splash Images
BIOS defaults changed for performance and compatibility Win8/8.1/10 (Choose 'Restore Defaults' in BIOS)
Fix for keyboard backlights not working. (Read 'Read Me' in fixmykb folder)

Changelog v4 ---> v5:
Updated Sata firmware, CPU Microcodes, & ME Firmware - Updates are Intel's security fixes.

Known Bug - GTX660m VBIOS - battery profile voltage stuck at 3D profile.

Procedure:
1) Download and extract to empty folder above download.
2) Run flash.bat (flash will start immediately. Mouse and keyboard will be unresponsive until done.)
3) Shutdown, wait several seconds, power on

System Specifications G46VW:
  • I7 3820QM @4.0GHz
  • GTX660m @1250MHz 1.5V/2800MHz
  • Corsair Vengeance @1866Mhz Cl8 8Gb (2x4GB)
  • SSD Samsung 840 Evo msata 256Gb
  • HD+ Screen 1600x900
  • Killer 1202 Wireless NIC
G46VW:

• ModJPB Modded Bios
  • I7 3820QM @4.0GHz
  • HD+ Screen 1600x900
39 REPLIES 39

after i install it
i restart and go to bios and restart and save setting without any changes
my g46vw start but nothing go on screen
it look like in sleep mod
how can i fix it \help pleae

therus000 wrote:
after i install it
i restart and go to bios and restart and save setting without any changes
my g46vw start but nothing go on screen
it look like in sleep mod
how can i fix it \help pleae

I'm sorry to hear about that. Have you got it to work again? If it seems alseep hold the power button down until it hard resets. You can force the bios to reset to defaults by taking out the ram chips, turn on, hold power to turn off, reinstall one ram chip and power on again. If nothing works, sorry you'll have to order a new programmed bios chip, remove the old one, and solder the new on.
G46VW:

• ModJPB Modded Bios
  • I7 3820QM @4.0GHz
  • HD+ Screen 1600x900

rcarlos243 wrote:
Your BIOS listed it can overclock QM up to 4 more multiplier, does that mean it is also possible to overclock with Core i7 3610QM? I have heard only Core i7 37xxQM and higher can be overclocked.

Also is the VBIOS Mod already integrated into your modded BIOS on filedropper link?
Does the GTX 660m VBIOS Mod fix the 540Mhz clockspeed Bug?

Hi,
Sorry, I should be more detailed yes the +4 multiplier is for 37xxqm and higher. This setting is set in the Intel ME firmware, which unfortunately ASUS has denied any access to.

Yes the VBIOS is already integrated into the BIOS. The only thing that is not integrated is the Intel ME firmware update, which must be done as a seperate install after you update the main bios and reboot.

To enable all features of the VBIOS please disable "Secure Boot" and "Fast Boot" and then go back into the bios and make sure "CSM" is enabled

I am unaware of the 540Mhz clockspeed bug. Can you please explain more about it.

Thanks.
G46VW:

• ModJPB Modded Bios
  • I7 3820QM @4.0GHz
  • HD+ Screen 1600x900

ModJPB wrote:
Hi,
Sorry, I should be more detailed yes the +4 multiplier is for 37xxqm and higher. This setting is set in the Intel ME firmware, which unfortunately ASUS has denied any access to.

Yes the VBIOS is already integrated into the BIOS. The only thing that is not integrated is the Intel ME firmware update, which must be done as a seperate install after you update the main bios and reboot.

To enable all features of the VBIOS please disable "Secure Boot" and "Fast Boot" and then go back into the bios and make sure "CSM" is enabled

I am unaware of the 540Mhz clockspeed bug. Can you please explain more about it.

Thanks.

The GPU Clock speed bug is actually 405Mhz GPU Core.

Sometimes if you try to play a game the GPU Core clock will be only run at 405Mhz (with A/C plugged in).

The games i tried are Cities Skylines and Dota 2.

You can find alot of people having the same issue. Just google "GTX 660m 405Mhz"

I believe the dGPU for some reason is getting stuck in P states and I heard someone mention a fix (here), but I haven't tried it yet.

rcarlos243
Level 7
ModJPB wrote:

WARNING: There is no BIOS reset jumper. Only change settings you know its affect. If new setting prevents system start, then laptop is bricked.
[/HR]

If system doesn't start you could fix the laptop.

-You just need a USB flash drive.
-latest stock BIOS.

1. format the USB to FAT32
2. extract the BIOS and save it on USB
3. Rename the file to G46VW.BIN
4. Plug the USB flash drive to Asus G46VW.
5. press and hold both CTRL and Home
6. Power On the laptop while holding the buttons on step 5.

This should initiate a Crisis BIOS Recovery that will flash the G46VW.BIN file in USB flash drive.

You could also possible do a hard CMOS reset by removing the RAM sticks and there should be solder points labeled "JRST2001 and JRST2002".

rcarlos243 wrote:
WARNING: There is no BIOS reset jumper. Only change settings you know its affect. If new setting prevents system start, then laptop is bricked.
[/HR]

If system doesn't start you could fix the laptop.

-You just need a USB flash drive.
-latest stock BIOS.

1. format the USB to FAT32
2. extract the BIOS and save it on USB
3. Rename the file to G46VW.BIN
4. Plug the USB flash drive to Asus G46VW.
5. press and hold both CTRL and Home
6. Power On the laptop while holding the buttons on step 5.

This should initiate a Crisis BIOS Recovery that will flash the G46VW.BIN file in USB flash drive.

You could also possible do a hard CMOS reset by removing the RAM sticks and there should be solder points labeled "JRST2001 and JRST2002".

I have tried both of those tips in the past and neither ever worked for me. If you tried them and it actually worked let us know because maybe there is a missing step. The only thing that has worked for me when I changed a setting that prevented startup was to order a programmed bios chip and resolder it to the motherboard.
G46VW:

• ModJPB Modded Bios
  • I7 3820QM @4.0GHz
  • HD+ Screen 1600x900

I tried it and it works.

I was messing with the BIOS setting and turned off the iGPU then I got no display.

removing battery and cmos did not reset the BIOS setting so I have to initiate the Crisis BIOS recovery.

-the USB must be formatted in FAT32
-the BIOS filename must be G46VW.BIN
press and hold both CTRL and HOME and press power on screen will turn on after about 5-10sec.

I have also heard it might help if you also save the G46VW.BIN on C: root directory

RCarlos243,
I did the same thing about a year ago and had to blindly get into the BIOS and choose default settings and then save and restart.

To do the Blind method follow the procedure exactly and do it slowly (This is using my BIOS)

• Hold the power button until the system turns off.
  • Press the power button and immediately hold down the F2 button for about 10secs (to ensure you are in the bios)
  • Tap right arrow 5 times
  • Tap down arrow 4 times
  • Tap ENTER 2 times
  • Tap up arrow 4 times
  • Tap Enter 2 times
  • System should reboot and several seconds later you should see the boot screen.

If you are using any other bios besides mine then in step 3 you would hit the right arrow 4 times instead of 5.

You can also try plugging in the laptop using HDMI or the VGA port and see if you can get display to show up through there.
G46VW:

• ModJPB Modded Bios
  • I7 3820QM @4.0GHz
  • HD+ Screen 1600x900

Zanoello
Level 7
I tested your BIOS and I have no words to describe how amazing it is !
All I can do is thank you for the fantastic work!

jacobssn
Level 7
@ModJPB

Hi dude, It seems like I'm checking in once a year or so 😃
I actually flashed your BIOS mods, disassembled my G46VW, lubricated the fan rods, made an CPU air-intake + dust filter and put some liquid ultra between GPU and CPU. I never thought I'd actually bust this out from the closet for daily use again!

I have two questions:

1.Do you guys have any good tutorial for flashing the BIOS + Unlocked ME BIOS with a hardware flasher?
I have no problem soldering on wires for access points or even remove the bios chip.

2. I never figured out how to enable memory overclocking in BIOS, how did you go about doing that?
G46VW | 3740QM @3.7GHz (All cores) | SanDisk 960GB SSD | 16GB Kingston LoVo | GTX 660M | GTX 970 via Thunderbolt