cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G-SYNC Upgrade on ROG G751JY/JT Laptops Now Available!

Bahz
Level 12
UPDATE 8 (June 6, 2016)
I received internal update that the i7-4720HQ motherboards for G751JY models have arrived to our warehouse hub in China and each country should now be able to place order for the parts. The i7-4720HQ motherboards for G751JT models will be arriving soon.

UPDATE 7 (May 13, 2016)
I have confirmed that the i7-4720HQ motherboards for G751JT models will be available by July 1, 2016 and the motherboards for G751JY models will be available by July 8, 2016. Please contact local customer service to be put on the waiting list and our service team will contact you once the parts are in stock. Please note that all dates listed are approximate dates so they could be available a little earlier or a little later.

UPDATE 6 (Apr 13, 2016)
After further discussion, it's confirmed that there's a shortage of i7-4710HQ and i7-4720HQ CPUs. The i7-4750HQ CPUs are in stock and all current G751 G-SYNC models selling on the market do indeed come with i7-4750HQ. The actual performance between i7-4710HQ, i7-4720HQ and i7-4750HQ is very minimal, this is based on actual real application benchmark test results. The user shouldn't notice any major difference during gameplay between the 3 CPUs.

We're going offer the i7-4750HQ for those who want to have the G-SYNC upgrade done now, but for those who prefer to wait for the i7-4710HQ/i7-4720HQ motherboards to come back in stock, we'll have our service team contact you again when they're back in stock. Please note at this moment in time there's no ETA on when the i7-4710HQ/4720HQ models will be back in stock. For other users who have the versions with i7-4860HQ or i7-4870HQ, these two model motherboards are also currently out of stock and we'll also have our service team contact you once they're back in stock.

A memo will sent to all regions to notify them of this update and to have them make sure that all customers are clearly notified that in order to continue with the upgrade now, they'll need to give consent that they accept the i7-4750HQ CPU version as replacement.

UPDATE 5 (Apr 12, 2016)
I received an internal update that isn't 100% confirmed but due to the scarcity of i7-4710HQ and i7-4720HQ CPUs, in order for us to reduce the lead time for the motherboards, we'll be replacing the motherboards with i7-4750HQ instead. I'm informed that the process is already underway and with this change we expect to cut down the lead time significantly.

UPDATE 4 (Mar 11, 2016)
I've been updated that we'll be extending the deadline of this program to July 31st, 2016.

UPDATE 3 (Mar 9, 2016)
I have confirmed that the reason why users have received back a laptop without the motherboard changed is because the motherboard parts were out of stock. Since the service center in Czech Republic have the technical capability to perform the rework on the motherboard, they decided to go ahead and perform the rework on the same motherboard to reduce the lead time for the upgrade process. Not all countries have the technical capability to do this, so for countries where the service centers don’t have the technical capability to perform the rework, they need to order the motherboards that are pre-modified. The entire process is “NOT” just a BIOS update and extra components are needed to be changed on the motherboard. So it will be normal to hear some users confirm that their motherboard was changed on their laptop and some that will confirm that they received back a laptop where the motherboard was not changed.

UPDATE 2 (Feb 2, 2016)
I'm sorry for the late response as I just came back from my vacation (Chinese/Lunar New Year). During this time of course it wouldn't be sane to be working as this is equivalent to Chirstmas for western countries.

I do apologize how this has been a very confusing process for a lot of you. Some countries are already aware of the program and have been trying to contact HQ for more details but of course the CNY break came at a bad time where finally the news started spreading around to all the regions but no one was there to answer all the details.

The program was prepared months in advance, so why the news hasn't properly reached all the regions is really mind boggling for me as well. We're working hard to communicate all the details with all the local countries at this time. We'll probably be extending the program duration due to these delays. Once again I'm sorry for all the confusion and inconvenience caused and we'll be working as quickly as possible to get everything cleared up as soon as possible.

UPDATE:
On behalf of ASUS and ROG I would like apologize for all the confusion caused. I can guarantee to all of you that this upgrade program is indeed legitimate. A program of this magnitude which didn't exclude any countries to begin with has its difficulties because to my knowledge we've never done anything like this before. As some of you mentioned I'm simply a messenger and I was told that all regions were notified of this program and to post it up, however after the first day we found out that this wasn't the case. We originally delayed the announcement by another week so we can notify all the service teams for all regions, but in the end we realized this still wasn't sufficient. We are working hard to communicate and make sure all our customer service teams and call centers around the globe are fully aware of this program, and during this time we ask that you please be patient with us and please try again in one week. If after one week and you are still getting a response that this program doesn't exist, please send me a PM and I will personally handle it and have one of our customer service representatives contact you. We apologize for the all inconveniences caused and thank you for your understanding.

For any existing owners of ROG G751JY/JT laptops (without G-SYNC) who are excited about the new G-SYNC feature, and are wondering if your laptop can be upgraded, ASUS ROG is making it possible! We are excited to offer you the G-SYNC upgrade for the low cost of only US$99 (cost does not include shipping and may vary slightly based on your region). The G-SYNC upgrade offer begins on February 1, 2016 and will end on May 1, 2016.

A hardware, firmware and software retrofit are necessary for your laptop to support G-SYNC. If you are interested in the retrofit service, please vote in the poll and contact our customer support with the following information and our local teams will be in touch (in order for your laptop to be sent in):

1. Your name
2. Country of residence
3. Your email address

Customer Support Link: https://vip.asus.com/VIP2/Services/QuestionForm?lang=en-us
1,388 REPLIES 1,388

I have just received my ASUS G751JY upgraded from Holland.
Results:
1) GSYNC enabled;
2) CPU upgraded from 4170HQ to 4860HQ;
3) the USB port near the BlueRay now works with external USB3 HDDs;
4) the new motherboard has the M2 slot (the previous motherboard does not provide it);
5) temperatures are ok.

This is just my experience, so I am very satisfied for this upgrade.

styling100 wrote:
I have just received my ASUS G751JY upgraded from Holland.
Results:
1) GSYNC enabled;
2) CPU upgraded from 4170HQ to 4860HQ;
3) the USB port near the BlueRay now works with external USB3 HDDs;
4) the new motherboard has the M2 slot (the previous motherboard does not provide it);
5) temperatures are ok.

This is just my experience, so I am very satisfied for this upgrade.

You are a very lucky fellow, i wish i could make that comment, mine still says "waiting for Technical Support from ASUS", its been with them since 7th March, nobody seems to want to update me on what is going on, but well done mate, enjoy it, I think its probably the 3rd positive feedback on this thread.

yahya32 wrote:
You are a very lucky fellow, i wish i could make that comment, mine still says "waiting for Technical Support from ASUS", its been with them since 7th March, nobody seems to want to update me on what is going on, but well done mate, enjoy it, I think its probably the 3rd positive feedback on this thread.

and when we trust asus, their hundreds or thousands of happy upgrade user, because no one of them is telling us that...lol

yahya32 wrote:

@yahya32,
March 7th-April 16th, gone 38 days, where is your notebook? Was something else wrong w/ it before you sent it
in 03/07/16 for this G-SYNC upgrade? Where are you located, EU? So far, like you, I've been completely screwed here,
but yours has been gone 11 days longer then mine! Is your G-SYNC upgrade still active? Mine got canceled by ASUS
US Customer Service after sitting at ASUS Service Center, Milpitas, CA on the 21st day!
Now my G751JY G-SYNC upgrade is canceled in US, my notebook has absolutely nothing else wrong w/ it,
has been at ASUS US Service Center 27 days & counting and apparently I'm waiting for ASUS US
to find another, same model G751JY DH71 replacement like the perfect one I sent in to process to my RMA #
before they can ship me back a replacement unit w/o the G-SYNC upgrade I paid for & will not receive at this
time. It might take up to an additional month before I'm finally shipped back a replacement unit.
The only thing ASUS US notebook RMA phone Support tells me is that I must be patient, this process
takes time.
Where are our notebooks'? At this point, ASUS upper Management should approve removal of 1
brand new G751JY-WH71(WX) notebook from ASUS US Store inventory, swap in a 256GB OEM
Samsung XP941 SSD & the additional 8GB DDR3L SODIMM (to convert it to the G751JY DH71)
for me & ship it to my address pronto.
At least then, I would get the G-SYNC upgrade I sent it in for, paid for, as well as finally get a
notebook back.
@Bahz help us please. Why is it taking so long for @yahya32 & @Jon G. to get our notebooks' returned?

Jon G wrote:
@yahya32,
March 7th-April 16th, gone 38 days, where is your notebook? Was something else wrong w/ it before you sent it
in 03/07/16 for this G-SYNC upgrade? Where are you located, EU? So far, like you, I've been completely screwed here,
but yours has been gone 11 days longer then mine! Is your G-SYNC upgrade still active? Mine got canceled by ASUS
US Customer Service after sitting at ASUS Service Center, Milpitas, CA on the 21st day!
Now my G751JY G-SYNC upgrade is canceled in US, my notebook has absolutely nothing else wrong w/ it,
has been at ASUS US Service Center 27 days & counting and apparently I'm waiting for ASUS US
to find another, same model G751JY DH71 replacement like the perfect one I sent in to process to my RMA #
before they can ship me back a replacement unit w/o the G-SYNC upgrade I paid for & will not receive at this
time. It might take up to an additional month before I'm finally shipped back a replacement unit.
The only thing ASUS US notebook RMA phone Support tells me is that I must be patient, this process
takes time.
Where are our notebooks'? At this point, ASUS upper Management should approve removal of 1
brand new G751JY-WH71(WX) notebook from ASUS US Store inventory, swap in a 256GB OEM
Samsung XP941 SSD & the additional 8GB DDR3L SODIMM (to convert it to the G751JY DH71)
At least then, I would get the G-SYNC upgrade I sent it in for, paid for, as well as finally get a
notebook back.
@Bahz help us please. Why is it taking so long for @yahya32 & @Jon G. to get our notebooks' returned?

Nothing wrong with my laptop, i just installed 512gb M.2 SSD 951 as well and 32gb ram, i had no issues with USB or screen or speakers or anything else for that matter. I think i will call them on monday to cancel it and have them ship it back with a Full Refund or im going straight to trading standards and ASUS management, as i was specifically told they are allowed to hold a laptop for only 30 days. Never ever had to deal with after sales service like this. they should have cancelled the Upgrade process and restarted it after everyone was briefed, Trained, and allocated stock of MB, or my other option seemed a lot better "like for like Replacement with GSync at a cost".

Jon G wrote:
@yahya32,
takes time.
notebook back.

Nothing wrong with my laptop, i just installed 512gb M.2 SSD 951 as well and 32gb ram, i had no issues with USB or screen or speakers or anything else for that matter. I think i will call them on monday to cancel it and have them ship it back with a Full Refund or im going straight to trading standards and ASUS management, as i was specifically told they are allowed to hold a laptop for only 30 days. Never ever had to deal with after sales service like this. they should have cancelled the Upgrade process and restarted it after everyone was briefed, Trained, and allocated stock of MB, or my other option seemed a lot better "like for like Replacement with GSync at a cost". Also no compensation at all, very bad service.

@styling100
Since my G751 is up there too for update, hope it comes back upgraded and working well like yours. Enjoy and if you can please post some tests (FPS, TEMP) for us with G-sync 🙂

Cheetah wrote:
I wish ASUS give us some detailed info about what they are doing to our laptops

Obviously Nvidia has a hand in this and preventing them from sharing anything. For this program to even happen, I'm sure Asus had to go through Nvidia first and also play by their rules.

TurkROG
Level 7
already got my asus g751 with enabled gsync , reinstalled fresh windows 10 and it is amazing .
thanks alot

Hey People,

another short report from me: As you know I gotta lucky Upgrade from JT to JY Model with 4860HQ CPU, thats that.

Sadly i also joined the High-Temps Club with 97C Max. while playing The Division.
Soo since I didnt want to send it back again (and may get a GTX970m DOWNgrade again and still unfixed etc etc..), i decided to tear it down completely (again, already inserted Dual-Channeled DDR3) and repaste the whole CPU/GPU Combo.
Here's an example of what it looks like ( the dirty way on a couch 😄 ) 57164

Good thing: IT WORKED! I used the best available Paste to me called "Phobya HeGrease Standard" and now im sitting at 85C MAX (Prime95/Division/3DMark).
Not Overwhelming results, but at least I and of course the Laptop can live with it.:cool: