cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Future "proof"?

Brotus
Level 7
As the next gen games are coming around and the rather demanding requirements arerevealed for these games, a thought struck in my mind, will this laptop (g750 jx) feasible for the nextgen? Obviously the current games that are now released are not of an issue since people have been able to run ultra/high settings with stable fps, but will the circumstances be the same after a year or two or even 5 years? So how long will the laptops lifespan be before it becomes outdated? Will it happen this gen or not? If so how many years will it take before the machinery cant even the upcoming games at high or even medium settings? I know thisis speculation but some tech savy people can predict if the machine is up the par or not, so it would be nice to know if these conserns are valid or not.
6 REPLIES 6

Tundra
Level 7
Only the 780m is on par or surpasses the GPU in the PS4. A G750JH should be fine for the generation.

Well ****, is if possible to upgrade the graphics card to 780m, or do I really need to buy a new laptop to get the superior graphics card?

Tundra
Level 7
Asus G750 series has a soldered on CPU (can't be removed from the mobo) and the 780M for the G750JH is custom made to fit that particular laptop. In other words, no you can't upgrade either of them. You'll have to buy a new laptop.

Flea0
Level 10
the new generation consoles will be around at least 8 years and by then even g750jH owners will have changed laptop. be happy of your purchase, the jx is a solid gaming laptop even if it "only" has the second fastest kepler card.

corollary: buying a gaming laptop is never the best value for money choice when it gets to lifespan. we expect to have to upgrade the entire machine more often than pc owners.
ASUS G750JX -- i7-4700 - 16GB - 128GB 840 PRO SSD + 1TB HDD - Nvidia GTX 770M - 120Hz 3D glossy display

iweber95
Level 7
If you think about it, the graphics you are getting now with your JX will be the same quality you get always. Some of the games in the future, however, will be able to get more impressive graphics. Which is why some newer games you will not be able to max settings on.

Also going into buying a gaming laptop you should know that it would not out preform a pc or even some consoles. The laptop is mostly for people who move around a lot and need, basically, a portable desktop.
ASUS G750JX
CPU: Intel Quad Core I7-4700HQ @ 3.4GHz
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 770M @ 932Mhz
RAM: 16GB
Memory: 1TB + 256GB SSD

chrsplmr
Level 18
Nothing is 'FutureProof', not yet anyway, until you start seeing 'Tech' companies closing down.
That's not going to happen any time soon.
Some hardware cycles 2 and 3 times a year. They are working on 5 year plans.
Enjoy the G, She will be faithful for years to come.

And if you really want to blow your mind, start saving for a ROG desktop .. enjoy.c.