cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Freeze and Crash! Help anyone?

ZeroTolerance
Level 7
EDITED WITH INFO FROM THE THREAD. You will find all the info you need to analyze the problem here.

ISSUE: heavy slow down and then freeze after 1-2 minutes playing games such as Overwatch / World of Warcraft. Issue reproduced during 3dmark11 test. After 1 minute during 3dmark11 test, the demo started to freeze at 2/3 seconds intervals and then totally froze.

I use Windows 8.0 with a GTX780M and Samsung 840 Evo SSD 1TB.
ALL drivers are up to date. Including audio card, SSD driver and Nvidia driver. BIOS is latest version (206). The computer is always plugged to direct power.
A Malwarebytes full scan reported zero infections. Graphic driver has already been uninstalled using DDU utility and then installed again with clean installation.

BSOD happened only once. Here is the relevant screen:

Samsung firmware stating it is the latest:

SSD and Hard Disk health:

here are the screenshots from hwinfo:

MSI Afterburner showing temperature with max 76°C during 3dmark11 freeze: http://prnt.sc/cgv4zn
MSI Afterburner FB usage during 3dmark11 freeze: http://prnt.sc/cgv5nh
MSI Afterburner GPU usage during 3dmark11 freeze: http://prnt.sc/cgv5z3

Today I managed to complete a 3DMark11 test. This was performed just 2 hours after the pc was turned on and there was NO FREEZE.

CPU Temperature during 3dmark11 completed test and no freeze (look at max values which were reached during the test)

GPU went up to 85°C. CPU up to 88°C.

NEW FREEZE while I was playing World of Warcraft. It kept freezing on the desktop too, even after the game was closed.
GPU usage was stuck to 99% even on the desktop. What is going on?

Temperatures during game freeze:

24 REPLIES 24

Gps3dx
Level 12
You need to isolate the issue...your report is too generic.
1. Please download BlueScreenView and check the dumplogs for the relevant problematic dll/exe that caused this BSOD.
try to check for any common highlighted dll/exe between the dumplogs -> please upload pictures here.
2. Are you sure you haven't been upgrade to win10 by any mistake ? this can explain driver issue and BSOD screens
Please press win+R combo-buttons then enter "winver", and enter.
3. although you stated you're on the latest drivers - are you sure you've upgrade your EVO 840 to the latest firmware ?
4. Nvidia drivers - try to get the previous driver version... maybe the latest is problematic for your card.
Try to use DDU to uninstall any nvidia driver remnents: 1st make sure your internet connection is NOT working from the starting moment you uninstall till after you've finished installing the previous drivers, then use the tool, then reboot, make sure again you're DISCONNECTED from internet, then install previous driver version WITH "CLEAN INSTALLATION" option checked AND CHOOSE ADVANCE INSTALLATION OPTIONS and install ONLY 3 components: the graphics driver, audio driver, phsyx driver - NOTHING MORE.
5. Check your ssd and hdd S.M.A.R.T values, see that they're OK. ( use app like the free CrystalDisk Info )
6. Please install free malwarebytes antimalware and run deep scan on the system - no matter which A/V you have.

please report back if any of this help you out.
Asus G751JT
Samsung EVO 850 120GB + 1TB HDD 7200RPM
Cleaned installed Win 10 HOME
My Guides:

• [POST=538713]ROG LAPTOPS: COMPLETE DRIVER LIST ![/POST]
  • [POST=538713]How to install windows 8/8.1/10 on any UEFI supported laptop the PROPER way[/POST]
  • [POST=538711]HOW TO (EASILY!) UPGRADE FROM WIN7 SP1/8.1 WITHOUT GOING THROUGH THE UPGRADE PROCESS ITSELF ![/POST]
  • [POST=605307]HOW TO REMAP FN+KEY AND SPECIAL BUTTONS: "STEAM", "ROG" & "SHADOWPLAY"[/POST]
  • [POST=539663]Win 10 x64: SETUP USB @SUPERSPEED, NO HANG-UPS! | ACCELERATES USB 3.0/2.0 TRANSFER RATE SPEED TWICE![/POST]

ZeroTolerance
Level 7
Thank you.
I am posting the two reports from BlueScreenView. There are only two dumps because I have always managed to close the games with ALT+F4 and reboot before getting the BSOD.
Here are the pictures in the mean time. I confirm I am using Windows 8.

Samsung firmware stating it is the latest:

Thanks!

Regarding NVIDIA drivers, this was happening even with previous and older drivers, that's why I have updated.

ZeroTolerance
Level 7
SSD and Hard Disk health:

Gps3dx
Level 12
According to bluescreenview, your Bsods are happening becuase of two issues.... some main nvidia sys ( driver ) and a windows own driver named battc.sys... which I guess by its name is related to the battery.

My guess is that battc.sys related to various "electricity" issues....
1. Can you please download & run the free HWInfo ( even portable edition ), then check your battery wear percentage ?
2. Have you experienced any electricity malfunction in the room you work with the laptop ? any light were blinking around the time of your BSODs ?
3. Are smelling any "burned" smell from your AC charger or from the laptop fan's exit ?
4. can you perform regular web-surfing work using the battery only (i.e NO AC connected ) ? for how long ?

I know that for intense graphics job, ROG laptops might need to have healthy/partial healthy battery, otherwise it might not be stable, leading to BSODs.
Also are you performing overclocking/overvoltage in any way ? ( i.e by software/bios mod ? ) -> if YES -> REVERT TO ORIGINAL values/bios -> try again.

UPDATE:
lastly, have you installed an official package from Asus named "ATK driver" ?
this driver contains ACPI drivers which are related to power management on the laptop.
make sure you install it.
Asus G751JT
Samsung EVO 850 120GB + 1TB HDD 7200RPM
Cleaned installed Win 10 HOME
My Guides:

• [POST=538713]ROG LAPTOPS: COMPLETE DRIVER LIST ![/POST]
  • [POST=538713]How to install windows 8/8.1/10 on any UEFI supported laptop the PROPER way[/POST]
  • [POST=538711]HOW TO (EASILY!) UPGRADE FROM WIN7 SP1/8.1 WITHOUT GOING THROUGH THE UPGRADE PROCESS ITSELF ![/POST]
  • [POST=605307]HOW TO REMAP FN+KEY AND SPECIAL BUTTONS: "STEAM", "ROG" & "SHADOWPLAY"[/POST]
  • [POST=539663]Win 10 x64: SETUP USB @SUPERSPEED, NO HANG-UPS! | ACCELERATES USB 3.0/2.0 TRANSFER RATE SPEED TWICE![/POST]

ZeroTolerance
Level 7
Hello,

here are the screenshots from hwinfo:

In reply to your questions:
2. No, never experienced power outages or electrical issues with the BSOD or slow down.
3. No, nothing smells burned.
4. Yes. I haven't measured how long, but it is like some hours.

5. I am not overclocking in any way and I am not doing any intense graphic job. I have not downloaded "ATK driver".

Actually, the DUMP with the battc.sys was originated this morning in a weird way. Yesterday night I successfully shut down the computer. When I booted it this morning, it gave me that dump. I am not sure it is linked somehow to the other issue (slow down / freeze).

ZeroTolerance
Level 7
In the mean time I have performed a full system scan with Malwarebytes which reported zero infections. I have also used your suggested tool to uninstall the graphic driver and I have installed it again.
I was looking again at the BlueScreenViewer info. I noticed "ntoskrnl.exe+1d3747" is reported in all the dumps. Does that mean anything by any chance?

ZeroTolerance
Level 7
And by the way, the issue is not fixed. It just froze again after 5 minutes in game. No file dump this time, just plain freeze. I had to manually shut it down. So uninstalling NVIDIA with DDU and re-installing did not work.

ZeroTolerance
Level 7
I have just run 3DMark11 for a test and after 1 minute it started to lag and eventually I had to shut down the software.