cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

fn+f9 not working, everything else does.

Anthraxious
Level 7
Hey there

Purchased my G55VW-S1177H like a week ago. It's all epic (except some Windows 8 things which I battle out with Microsoft).

Now I noticed from day one that my fn+f9 doesn't work. Switching off the touchpad is impossible. I've installed a Steelseries Raw mouse and I've even been in the device manager manually disabling the different mice. My Steelseries gets disabled when I chose to but not the touchpad. It ALWAYS seem to work. This is especially annoying cause of the placement of laptop touchpads. Don't get me wrong, it's he best placement except for what this machine was built for: gaming.

Another thing that doesn't work is the scrolling. I used to be able to scroll sideways in Windows 8 and up/down in websites with the double finger scroll. Not only that, but the pinch to zoom is also nonexistent.

I have upgraded to Windows 8 Pro (Cause of issues with the regular release; again, problem between Microsoft and I) but these issues were present from before the upgrade.

I reinstalled the touchpad drivers (First deleted them, then installed them) but it didn't seem to help.

I hope there's a fix to this. What I want available is simply scroll and zoom functionality and the all important Turn-off-when-gaming-by-pressing-fn-and-f9.

Whenever I google this issue it's people mainly wanting to turn the touchpad ON because they somehow messed up their drivers.

I hope some kind person can help me out here.

Have a nice day,
Anthraxious
48 REPLIES 48

Mike_Lu@ASUS wrote:
just Fn + F9 can not use or all function key can not use? if just Fn+F9 can not use, it is very strange.

The things that don't work in my laptop at the moment:
- fn + f9
- vertical and horizontal scroll
- network adapter driver (can't find the right one, not the only person with this problem, there's an unsolved thread about this)
Asus G75VX-T4022P
Processor: Intel i7 3630QM
Memory: 32GB (4*8GB 1600Mhz)
Storage: 256GB SSD + 750GB 7200rpm
Screen: Matte 17.3" LED FHD / NG
Graphics: NVIDIA GTX670MX, GDDR5 3Gb
Wireless: 802.11ac + Bluetooth 4.0

I was able to resolve the fn+f9 not working. I uninstalled the Elan touchpad driver, then uninstalled the ATK Package. Rebooted. Installed the latest ATK Package, then the latest Elan touchpad driver. fn+f9 function was restored so I could shut off the touchpad. Im using a wireless mouse instead.

Follow the steps:

1. Open device manager: Win+r type command: devmgmt.msc
2. Go to Mice and other pointing devices
3. right click on Asus PS/2 Port Clickpad and select Update Driver Software
4. Let it search online and install the new driver
5. reboot computer
6. Try fn+F9 again and EVIKA

This worked as a charm for me.

Hope this works for everyone.

rewben
Level 13
@Mike_Lu@ASUS, it's indeed strange; and it was very likely caused by drivers. please check out this thread.

Anthraxious
Level 7
It's just the fn+f9 combo. I can adjust brightness, change volume, turn screen off, switch screens and bring up calculator. Everything except the touchpad on/off function.

Anthraxious
Level 7
Btw I did check that other thread out and he reinstalled Windows again. I am planning to buy an SSD and pop it into this badboy to make it faster. Only problem is; can I make a CD to reinstall?

If so, what version will be on that CD? I had Windows 8 and bought Pro, now I have Pro. If I make a CD somehow will it have Pro on it? Also, I want a clean install, no ASUS stuff, no drivers, nothing. Is there a way to get that? It's cool that I didn't get a CD, but no Product Key either? Also there's no option to download a clean Windows 8 from Microsoft and installing it and then using a Product Key? Kinda what I am hoping for here.

rewben
Level 13
This is the UEFI install.

A. to obtain windows 8 pro ISO:
1. to recover the product key, use Belarc Advisor
2. use the key to download the ISO with Windows8-Setup.exe
3. create w8 installation usb stick: just format the stick with fat32 and copy all the contents from the ISO to the usb stick.

B. download the latest drivers from ASUS.

C. prepare your SSD: upgrade the firmware if needed

D. set up your bios
- make sure that AHCI is selected in your Bios > Advanced Boot > SATA Configurations. Disable Secure Boot Control and Enable Launch CSM.

E. fresh windows installation
- take out your stock HDD. put the SSD into the bay that houses stock HDD.
- plug in the usb stick. boot your laptop, and spam the esc key when you see the POST screen with ROG logo. a popup menu should be up and choose the option with 'UEFI:' and continue. reorganize your HDD partitions if you want.
- make sure you take out your installation media upon first reboot. if your windows failed to boot, check and make your SSD the first boot option in bios. normally it will boot straight away, because it's now the only bootable source in your system.

F. driver installation
- install the drivers. multiple reboots are required in this stage. for w8, you only need a minimal set of drivers.
a) intel chipset; intel rst; audio; graphic; atheros lan and wifi (check your hardware in device manager for confirmation)
- make sure ATK Package and touchpad drivers are installed.

edit: if you have bought your w8 pro via w8 upgrade offer, there is an email (receipt) from Microsoft that has your product key. a brief instruction to download w8 from Microsoft is in that email, too.

Anthraxious
Level 7
Ye gonna do that. Thanks for the guide tho, always good to have something to fall back on when something goes sideways. I'll do that soon as I obtain an SSD. Might not be now. They might go further down after CES but still, appreciate every bit of help. I'll be back ;).

rewben
Level 13
sweet 🙂

i had fresh installs (w7 hp; w7 pro; w8 pro) from day one with my g55; zero issue so far (well, except for several minor ones; not a big deal anyway).

Anthraxious
Level 7
Yea I found the "download Windows 8" via the link from he mail as well. Only problem is, I can't use my Windows 8 Pro key since it's an upgrade. If I search with that Belarc program, I get my Windows 8 Pro update key which I can't use as an installation key. When I phone ASUS they tell me that the product key nowadays is imprinted on the MB which sounds legit, but then again, how does the computer realize that (especially a clean SSD)? When I ran Windows 8 Setup it still asked me for a key.