cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

fn+f9 not working, everything else does.

Anthraxious
Level 7
Hey there

Purchased my G55VW-S1177H like a week ago. It's all epic (except some Windows 8 things which I battle out with Microsoft).

Now I noticed from day one that my fn+f9 doesn't work. Switching off the touchpad is impossible. I've installed a Steelseries Raw mouse and I've even been in the device manager manually disabling the different mice. My Steelseries gets disabled when I chose to but not the touchpad. It ALWAYS seem to work. This is especially annoying cause of the placement of laptop touchpads. Don't get me wrong, it's he best placement except for what this machine was built for: gaming.

Another thing that doesn't work is the scrolling. I used to be able to scroll sideways in Windows 8 and up/down in websites with the double finger scroll. Not only that, but the pinch to zoom is also nonexistent.

I have upgraded to Windows 8 Pro (Cause of issues with the regular release; again, problem between Microsoft and I) but these issues were present from before the upgrade.

I reinstalled the touchpad drivers (First deleted them, then installed them) but it didn't seem to help.

I hope there's a fix to this. What I want available is simply scroll and zoom functionality and the all important Turn-off-when-gaming-by-pressing-fn-and-f9.

Whenever I google this issue it's people mainly wanting to turn the touchpad ON because they somehow messed up their drivers.

I hope some kind person can help me out here.

Have a nice day,
Anthraxious
48 REPLIES 48

rewben wrote:
yeah, it's not the default atheros wifi; you should get the following driver instead:

Version: V6.30.95.14
Description: Atheros Wireless Lan Driver and Application; this is wrongly labelled; it should be azurewave/broadcom;
File Size: 15,44 MBytes

you can uninstall the current driver (if you have installed one); reboot; then run Setup.cmd in the package from ASUS.

you can also get the drivers only by unpacking the setup:
1. to unpack with no install run: setup.exe -extract_all:d:\a\
2. the drivers are in d:\a\Disk1\Drivers\Win8\WL

to install the driver only:
1. uninstall driver and reboot;
2. goto device manager; double click the unknown device; go to the driver tab and choose update driver;
3. browse to d:\a\Disk1\Drivers\Win8\WL and continue.

according to the driver's inf file (bcmwl63.inf), it could be used in w7. but i might be wrong; so please try this and tell us the outcome.

Tried it. Didn't work.
First, I assume you are talking about the driver from the G75VX driver download page (it's that V6.30.95.14 version you referred to).

unistalled previous driver, rebooted, now neither LAN or Wi-fi work. extracted the .rar file and ran Setup.cmd, as you suggested (ran as administrator), cmd prompt appeared briefly and disappeared. but nothing happened. unpacked Steup.exe with no install, went to device manager, located the driver manually a window popped up saying:
"The folder you specified doesn't contain a compatible software driver for your device. If the folder contains a driver, make sure it is designed to work with windows for x64-based systems."

So what does this mean? I'm using Windows 7 Ultimate (x64)...

EDIT: LAN not working was a small mistake on my part. fixed it. only my wi-fi isn't working.
Asus G75VX-T4022P
Processor: Intel i7 3630QM
Memory: 32GB (4*8GB 1600Mhz)
Storage: 256GB SSD + 750GB 7200rpm
Screen: Matte 17.3" LED FHD / NG
Graphics: NVIDIA GTX670MX, GDDR5 3Gb
Wireless: 802.11ac + Bluetooth 4.0

BuLaXa wrote:
Tried it. Didn't work.
First, I assume you are talking about the driver from the G75VX driver download page (it's that V6.30.95.14 version you referred to).

unistalled previous driver, rebooted, now neither LAN or Wi-fi work. extracted the .rar file and ran Setup.cmd, as you suggested (ran as administrator), cmd prompt appeared briefly and disappeared. but nothing happened. unpacked Steup.exe with no install, went to device manager, located the driver manually a window popped up saying:
"The folder you specified doesn't contain a compatible software driver for your device. If the folder contains a driver, make sure it is designed to work with windows for x64-based systems."

So what does this mean? I'm using Windows 7 Ultimate (x64)...

EDIT: LAN not working was a small mistake on my part. fixed it. only my wi-fi isn't working.

it means the drivers are for w8 only, and it's incompatible for w7 😕 currently i still have no luck finding the right driver for w7 (i.e. matching the hardware ids).

do you mind sharing with us the contents of the log file generated by the installer? it should be c:\windows\temp\Azurewave_Wlan_setup.log

run the command in administrator's prompt: "notepad c:\windows\temp\Azurewave_Wlan_setup.log" without quotes

rewben wrote:
it means the drivers are for w8 only, and it's incompatible for w7 😕 currently i still have no luck finding the right driver for w7 (i.e. matching the hardware ids).

do you mind sharing with us the contents of the log file generated by the installer? it should be c:\windows\temp\Azurewave_Wlan_setup.log

run the command in administrator's prompt: "notepad c:\windows\temp\Azurewave_Wlan_setup.log" without quotes

Azurewave_Wlan_setup.log contents:

[InstallShield Silent]
Version=v7.00
File=Log File
[ResponseResult]
ResultCode=0

Also had a Atheros_Wlan_setup.log file there, here are the contents:

[InstallShield Silent]
Version=v7.00
File=Log File
[ResponseResult]
ResultCode=-5
Asus G75VX-T4022P

rewben
Level 13
hm.. nothing informative; if i can find the driver, i will share with you guys; but there is no guarantee 😕

rewben wrote:
hm.. nothing informative; if i can find the driver, i will share with you guys; but there is no guarantee 😕

Thank you... there's a whole other thread about this so, there are more people with the same problem.
Maybe we should contact an asus representative about this matter?
Asus G75VX-T4022P

rewben
Level 13
yes, that's one way 🙂

rewben wrote:
yes, that's one way 🙂

Hello!
A long time has passed, and this problem is still not fixd... 😕 any chance you found the answer? 🙂
Asus G75VX-T4022P

BuLaXa
Level 7
SOLVED! not the wi-fi problem, but the original fn+f9 problem.

Thanks to @cjonash for the solution: "I managed to get tne fn+F9 to work by installing the touchpad driver from the supplied CD (it is the Win 8 version, but it also works for Win 7). I just run the install exe-file."

My fn+f9 didn't work either. Installed this driver, rebooted... et voilá! It works now. No more random clicks while writing...
Asus G75VX-T4022P

BuLaXa
Level 7
since we were talking about network adapter problems, I will post this here too...

SOLVED

Network adapter Problem:

a HUGE THANKS to @rledge21 for finding the right driver.
Here is the link for the driver that did the trick for me:

http://www.asus.com/Networking/PCEAC66/#support_Download_30

In case anyone is wondering, I Downgraded from Windows 8 to Win7, had this problem for months. Finally solved it. HELLO, WI-FI! 😄

as an asian woman driver would say: "good luck, everyone else!!"

OH, and for those who didn't read every single post but the last one, the main problem on this thread (fn+f9) was also solved.

Thanks to @cjonash for the solution: "I managed to get tne fn+F9 to work by installing the touchpad driver from the supplied CD (it is the Win 8 version, but it also works for Win 7). I just run the install exe-file."

My fn+f9 didn't work either. Installed this driver, rebooted... et voilá! It works now. No more random clicks while writing...
Asus G75VX-T4022P