cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

fn+f9 not working, everything else does.

Anthraxious
Level 7
Hey there

Purchased my G55VW-S1177H like a week ago. It's all epic (except some Windows 8 things which I battle out with Microsoft).

Now I noticed from day one that my fn+f9 doesn't work. Switching off the touchpad is impossible. I've installed a Steelseries Raw mouse and I've even been in the device manager manually disabling the different mice. My Steelseries gets disabled when I chose to but not the touchpad. It ALWAYS seem to work. This is especially annoying cause of the placement of laptop touchpads. Don't get me wrong, it's he best placement except for what this machine was built for: gaming.

Another thing that doesn't work is the scrolling. I used to be able to scroll sideways in Windows 8 and up/down in websites with the double finger scroll. Not only that, but the pinch to zoom is also nonexistent.

I have upgraded to Windows 8 Pro (Cause of issues with the regular release; again, problem between Microsoft and I) but these issues were present from before the upgrade.

I reinstalled the touchpad drivers (First deleted them, then installed them) but it didn't seem to help.

I hope there's a fix to this. What I want available is simply scroll and zoom functionality and the all important Turn-off-when-gaming-by-pressing-fn-and-f9.

Whenever I google this issue it's people mainly wanting to turn the touchpad ON because they somehow messed up their drivers.

I hope some kind person can help me out here.

Have a nice day,
Anthraxious
48 REPLIES 48

BuLaXa wrote:
going back a little bit, I have the exact same problem, but in different conditions. Bought a G75VX, came with windows 8. Downgraded to windows 7 (because I really hated windows 8, to be honest... couldnt stand not having a start button and there were SO MANY compatibility issues). anyway, installed all the drivers except the wifi one, which I can't find (so now i have no wifi... 😕 ), and all my fn + something combos work EXCEPT fn + f9! I don't know why... scroll doesn't work either on the mousepad.

Any suggestions?

all you need is something small like classic shell, and the start button will come back. give yourself some time to adapt to the new OS. it's not that bad.

in the case of OS downgrading, you will need to do things on the basis of trial and error:
1. adjust whatever bios options that have reported conflicts: disable secure boot control, disable fast boot; enable launch csm;
2. do a w7 fresh install;
3. you have 2 choices to get drivers:
a) download ALL versions (including w7 and 8; also including those for g46, g55, and g75vw) of drivers from ASUS and test them; sometimes you will be surprised that the drivers work even if they are labelled as not compliant to your current OS;
b) get the latest drivers from original manufacturers. just make sure you get the right one;

by the way what's your wifi card shown in the device manager? atheros or something else?

BuLaXa
Level 7
I'm not willing to reinstall everything AGAIN. I already dwngraded from windows 8 to 7. the only thing i'm missing is the wifi driver (and apparently this fn+f9 thing). so right now i'm just looking for that wifi driver... I believe the wifi card is from atheros. I've tried some drivers from their website, but nothing. There's even a thread here (unsolved), for people looking for this driver for a G75 (here), so i'm not the only one with this problem...
Asus G75VX-T4022P
Processor: Intel i7 3630QM
Memory: 32GB (4*8GB 1600Mhz)
Storage: 256GB SSD + 750GB 7200rpm
Screen: Matte 17.3" LED FHD / NG
Graphics: NVIDIA GTX670MX, GDDR5 3Gb
Wireless: 802.11ac + Bluetooth 4.0

rewben
Level 13
from that thread, the vx might bundle one of the 2 different atheros wifi cards (Atheros AR9485WB-EG (802.11 b/g/n) or the Qualcomm Atheros (same) QCA9860/QCA9862 which are for the 802.11ac). so which one is it?

Belenos
Level 7
Maybe anyone has already written it here and I'm just a little bit late now ;-}
But the FN-combos at my G55 only work in combination with the drivers or utils of the device which wanted to be managed with FN-combo.
The FN-F2 works together with the Elantech touchpad driver, the display brightness I only could control together with nVidia drivers etc.

Anthraxious
Level 7
Ok, I'm back. Now there's another problem (Dafuq?). My microphone isn't working.

I'm using skype and ventrilo extensively so a proper mic is something I really need. The mic worker prior to reinstalling everything so clearly I missed some kind of driver. I assumed it was under the ATK or Audio Drivers but then again, nothing was really where I assumed it before xD.

Any help regarding this?

In skype I get the option of

Microphone (High Definition Audio Device)
Microphone (High Definition Audio Device) (2)

First off, why the number two? Secondly, why isn't any one of them picking up my voice, let alone any other sounds.

Greatful for any help 😄

I forgot to mention that plugging a mic into the mic jack works, so it can't be the driver, can it? I would've thought it was the same soundcard and therefore the same driver. Also, I can't have "damaged" my mic by changing HDD to SSD, that just wouldn't make sense.

lbjgh
Level 7
I tried to follow the instructions to download an OEM copy of win8 that I can use to do a clean install on a SSD.

Microsoft does not recognize the windows CD Key from my system??

Below is a screen capture of the error.

Also, I read windows8 retrieves the serial number from the motherboard somehow and I don't have to enter it. Is that correct?
G75VW-DH71

lbjgh wrote:
I tried to follow the instructions to download an OEM copy of win8 that I can use to do a clean install on a SSD.

Microsoft does not recognize the windows CD Key from my system??

Below is a screen capture of the error.

Also, I read windows8 retrieves the serial number from the motherboard somehow and I don't have to enter it. Is that correct?

I had that same problem. You're trying to enter a Pro key right? Since the Pro key is an upgrade key it doesn't work. What I did was I found a clean basic Windows 8 torrent, installed it and then upgraded. Seen as how I already paid for it I have every right to do it this way since Microsoft were being c u n t s about giving me a key. No other options I'm afraid.

rewben
Level 13
BuLaXa, for the wifi adapter, as i asked before, can you show us its hardware ids? you can get the ids from device manager > other devices > device; double click on each of them, go to the details tab, and select hardware ids in property field.

i suspect you're having the ac wifi adapter, not bgn. you're running w7 on a w8 preloaded machine; so far i couldn't find a w7 driver for the ac wifi adapter.

rewben wrote:
BuLaXa, for the wifi adapter, as i asked before, can you show us its hardware ids? you can get the ids from device manager > other devices > device; double click on each of them, go to the details tab, and select hardware ids in property field.

i suspect you're having the ac wifi adapter, not bgn. you're running w7 on a w8 preloaded machine; so far i couldn't find a w7 driver for the ac wifi adapter.

Sorry, forgot all about your question, thanks for the reminder 😉
I took a print screen of the hardware IDs, there you go (please ignore the name of that network adapter driver, it's wrong. I tried installing one and even if it didn't work, the name was changed.) 15965
Asus G75VX-T4022P
Processor: Intel i7 3630QM
Memory: 32GB (4*8GB 1600Mhz)
Storage: 256GB SSD + 750GB 7200rpm
Screen: Matte 17.3" LED FHD / NG
Graphics: NVIDIA GTX670MX, GDDR5 3Gb
Wireless: 802.11ac + Bluetooth 4.0

rewben
Level 13
yeah, it's not the default atheros wifi; you should get the following driver instead:

Version: V6.30.95.14
Description: Atheros Wireless Lan Driver and Application; this is wrongly labelled; it should be azurewave/broadcom;
File Size: 15,44 MBytes

you can uninstall the current driver (if you have installed one); reboot; then run Setup.cmd in the package from ASUS.

you can also get the drivers only by unpacking the setup:
1. to unpack with no install run: setup.exe -extract_all:d:\a\
2. the drivers are in d:\a\Disk1\Drivers\Win8\WL

to install the driver only:
1. uninstall driver and reboot;
2. goto device manager; double click the unknown device; go to the driver tab and choose update driver;
3. browse to d:\a\Disk1\Drivers\Win8\WL and continue.

according to the driver's inf file (bcmwl63.inf), it could be used in w7. but i might be wrong; so please try this and tell us the outcome.