cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

fn+f9 not working, everything else does.

Anthraxious
Level 7
Hey there

Purchased my G55VW-S1177H like a week ago. It's all epic (except some Windows 8 things which I battle out with Microsoft).

Now I noticed from day one that my fn+f9 doesn't work. Switching off the touchpad is impossible. I've installed a Steelseries Raw mouse and I've even been in the device manager manually disabling the different mice. My Steelseries gets disabled when I chose to but not the touchpad. It ALWAYS seem to work. This is especially annoying cause of the placement of laptop touchpads. Don't get me wrong, it's he best placement except for what this machine was built for: gaming.

Another thing that doesn't work is the scrolling. I used to be able to scroll sideways in Windows 8 and up/down in websites with the double finger scroll. Not only that, but the pinch to zoom is also nonexistent.

I have upgraded to Windows 8 Pro (Cause of issues with the regular release; again, problem between Microsoft and I) but these issues were present from before the upgrade.

I reinstalled the touchpad drivers (First deleted them, then installed them) but it didn't seem to help.

I hope there's a fix to this. What I want available is simply scroll and zoom functionality and the all important Turn-off-when-gaming-by-pressing-fn-and-f9.

Whenever I google this issue it's people mainly wanting to turn the touchpad ON because they somehow messed up their drivers.

I hope some kind person can help me out here.

Have a nice day,
Anthraxious
48 REPLIES 48

rewben
Level 13
uh? no, you can use that key for fresh install. when you upgraded your w7 to 8 pro, that means you are entitled to use w8 pro already. the new key can be used for fresh install; it's not for the upgrade process only.

Anthraxious
Level 7
I upgraded my Windows 8 to Windows 8 Pro. Also, there is no "fresh install "indows 8" even from Microsoft, only upgrade keys have been released. I spoke to them not long ago. I have no idea why but this is the case. Also, I think I will have to use recovery or something instead. Otherwise I'll just download a pirated version of Windows 8 and then upgrade cause Microsoft are being ****s about it.

Anthraxious
Level 7
Ok, here's how it went. I bought a Samsung Pro 256GB instead of the Basic 250GB. Installed everything fine and it all works no problem. Wonderful stuff. Although I advice other people with the same issue (not having a Prouct key or a Windows 8 CD) to download a pirated version to afterwards upgrade with your Pro key. This is only cause Microsoft (and ASUS tbh) were being retards about the Product Key. Sure my Pro key overrides the old key but there should still be an option to reinstall without so much hassle. It's a bit sad tbh.

Well, I must thank rewben and the others who helped me and made this forum experience epic. I don't really know how it works but I added some rep to you by clicking that star. Hopefully I did it correctly. You deserve it my friend.

Thanks ROG community, I will be back once things **** up again! xD

Ciao!

/Anthraxious

Anthraxious wrote:
Ok, here's how it went. I bought a Samsung Pro 256GB instead of the Basic 250GB. Installed everything fine and it all works no problem. Wonderful stuff. Although I advice other people with the same issue (not having a Prouct key or a Windows 8 CD) to download a pirated version to afterwards upgrade with your Pro key. This is only cause Microsoft (and ASUS tbh) were being retards about the Product Key. Sure my Pro key overrides the old key but there should still be an option to reinstall without so much hassle. It's a bit sad tbh.

Well, I must thank rewben and the others who helped me and made this forum experience epic. I don't really know how it works but I added some rep to you by clicking that star. Hopefully I did it correctly. You deserve it my friend.

Thanks ROG community, I will be back once things **** up again! xD

Ciao!

/Anthraxious

i'm glad that things are going fine for you. yes, this new roll-out plan for w8 by Microsoft caught many legit users by surprise 😕

BuLaXa
Level 7
going back a little bit, I have the exact same problem, but in different conditions. Bought a G75VX, came with windows 8. Downgraded to windows 7 (because I really hated windows 8, to be honest... couldnt stand not having a start button and there were SO MANY compatibility issues). anyway, installed all the drivers except the wifi one, which I can't find (so now i have no wifi... 😕 ), and all my fn + something combos work EXCEPT fn + f9! I don't know why... scroll doesn't work either on the mousepad.

Any suggestions?
Asus G75VX-T4022P
Processor: Intel i7 3630QM
Memory: 32GB (4*8GB 1600Mhz)
Storage: 256GB SSD + 750GB 7200rpm
Screen: Matte 17.3" LED FHD / NG
Graphics: NVIDIA GTX670MX, GDDR5 3Gb
Wireless: 802.11ac + Bluetooth 4.0

BuLaXa wrote:
going back a little bit, I have the exact same problem, but in different conditions. Bought a G75VX, came with windows 8. Downgraded to windows 7 (because I really hated windows 8, to be honest... couldnt stand not having a start button and there were SO MANY compatibility issues). anyway, installed all the drivers except the wifi one, which I can't find (so now i have no wifi... 😕 ), and all my fn + something combos work EXCEPT fn + f9! I don't know why... scroll doesn't work either on the mousepad.

Any suggestions?

Well, the only help I can give is to reinstall everything. Put the stuff you want backed up on your 750GB and wipe the SSD. Also I am guessing that you have a Windows 7 CD/Product Key? Just clean install and only download the necessary drivers.

yeah, that's gonna be a problem. reinstall everything? after all the work I had with putting windows 7 in? finding all the drivers was kind of a nightmare... I don't really think it's worth reinstalling everything just because fn+f9 doens't work.
Asus G75VX-T4022P
Processor: Intel i7 3630QM
Memory: 32GB (4*8GB 1600Mhz)
Storage: 256GB SSD + 750GB 7200rpm
Screen: Matte 17.3" LED FHD / NG
Graphics: NVIDIA GTX670MX, GDDR5 3Gb
Wireless: 802.11ac + Bluetooth 4.0

BuLaXa wrote:
yeah, that's gonna be a problem. reinstall everything? after all the work I had with putting windows 7 in? finding all the drivers was kind of a nightmare... I don't really think it's worth reinstalling everything just because fn+f9 doens't work.

well.. if you're not willing to spend any more time on this, i guess i will skip the rest 😕

Might I suggest an alternative:

Go back to Windows 8, buy a copy of a program from a company called Stardock of a program called Start8 which will give you back the same start menu as Windows 7 but under windows 8.

http://www.stardock.com/products/start8/

They are still developing a lot of their stuff for Windows 8 but what is working is great for users who want their start menu back, or just need time to transition.
I truly believe that there are people on this planet who should voluntarily remove them selves from the gene pool.
Maximus IV Extreme Z/16G/2600K, Rampage V Extreme Edition 10/32G/6900K, G751JY-T7042H
Zenith Extreme Alpha/64G/2950x , X399 Prime A/32G/1900X
Power Mad Mu ha ha ha

FalloutBoy wrote:
Might I suggest an alternative:

Go back to Windows 8, buy a copy of a program from a company called Stardock of a program called Start8 which will give you back the same start menu as Windows 7 but under windows 8.

http://www.stardock.com/products/start8/

They are still developing a lot of their stuff for Windows 8 but what is working is great for users who want their start menu back, or just need time to transition.

yeah that's if you have some money to spare. there are many free tools that can achieve the same outcomes.