cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First time NVMe SSD,need help

DEVIANTtt
Level 7
Hello guys,i just got 960 EVO and like the title says its my first touch with ssd ever.The plan is to use ssd for os and critical programs and hdd for the rest.Since i am unexpirienced with this,am i supposed to update firmware or set some bios options in order for laptop to recognise NVMe ssd ?Oh,i forgot to mention that i am going to clean install win.
Thanks in advance.
3 REPLIES 3

lss41771
Level 7
DEVIANTtt wrote:
Hello guys,i just got 960 EVO and like the title says its my first touch with ssd ever.The plan is to use ssd for os and critical programs and hdd for the rest.Since i am unexpirienced with this,am i supposed to update firmware or set some bios options in order for laptop to recognise NVMe ssd ?Oh,i forgot to mention that i am going to clean install win.
Thanks in advance.

If NVMe related settings and statuses show up in the BIOS after installing the new SSD, then you're good to go, the SSD is correctly detected and is operating in NVMe mode. Normally those NVMe related fields are hidden if no NVMe devices are currently present in the laptop.

Ok first off you should set your BIOS SATA setting to AHCI
Next why aggravate yourself with a clean install, simple use a quality cloning program and clone your current hard drive to your new SSD. In 15 minutes you will be up and running just as you are now.. On your much faster SSD.
Otherwise GPS3DX has a good step by step on how to install UEFI https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?76993-Guide-How-to-install-windows-8-8-1-10-The-proper-way... have fun with all the reconfiguration of your notebook after a clean install. Have all your Drivers ready to reinstall, Save your eSupport Folder is contains all of them and factory software.
Anyway a Clean windows 10 install will overwrite all your hardware drivers with Windows Native drivers, so you'll most likely have issues when you boot up these will be resolved by reinstalling the Asus Tested and approve drivers.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro