cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

External hard drive goes to sleep. ASUS G750JX

Stels
Level 7
Good afternoon, everybody . I have a laptop ASUS G750JX before it was installed Windows 8 but updated to 8.1 after doing a clean install . Had a small problem with the desktop, but it was decided , the problem appearing next , which is hampered . I have an external hard disk drives (Seagate Expansion Desktop STBV3000200 and Seagate Expansion Desktop STBV2000200) and they connected USB 3.0 and they are 10-15 minutes away to Sleep mode if they are not to go to when it was Windows 8 was all norms. What I just did not cut off , and in the Device Manager , and More power options all disabled , which could make external hard drives go to Sleep mode.
Here's a question arose , can someone solved this problem or faced it ?
12 REPLIES 12

Stels wrote:
It did not help did all that was written there, set update windos 8.1 update (KB2914219) and still did not help.

Stels, yup, still not fixed for some external drives. Not sure why mine doesn't sleep / disconnect.

What is the symptom you see? Does the drive disconnect and not wake up, causing a failure / corrupted disk? Or, does it just sleep and cause lag while waiting for it to wake up?

Does your router support USB drive sharing? Maybe until the bug gets fixed share the external drives from another machine?

I don't see reports of Thunderbolt drives going to sleep... maybe it is just some USB chipsets used in some external USB cases affected?

hmscott wrote:
Stels, yup, still not fixed for some external drives. Not sure why mine doesn't sleep / disconnect.

What is the symptom you see? Does the drive disconnect and not wake up, causing a failure / corrupted disk? Or, does it just sleep and cause lag while waiting for it to wake up?

Does your router support USB drive sharing? Maybe until the bug gets fixed share the external drives from another machine?

I don't see reports of Thunderbolt drives going to sleep... maybe it is just some USB chipsets used in some external USB cases affected?

I have external hard drives go into sleep mode if they are not treated within minutes.
You gave a link, there many same trouble and Microsoft as it solved the problem but not all, but most who have installed Windows 8.1 searcheth the same problem with external hard drives, especially those external drives that have a standard hard drive 3.5 and have their connection to power supply and and the amount of hard disk starts with 2TB.

Stels wrote:
It did not help did all that was written there, set update windos 8.1 update (KB2914219) and still did not help.

Stels, the posts there indicate the fixes got broken with the latest April 2014 Windows Updates, it is broken again. I don't know why my external USB 3.0 enclosure holding the 1TB HGST drive doesn't sleep or go offline - it is stable. I wonder if there are some USB chipsets used in some controllers that are affected, and others aren't affected.

Here is the enclosure I am using, that doesn't sleep or go offline:
http://www.siig.com/it-products/controllers-storage/hard-drive-storage/drive-enclosures/usb-3-0-to-i...