cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

External hard drive goes to sleep. ASUS G750JX

Stels
Level 7
Good afternoon, everybody . I have a laptop ASUS G750JX before it was installed Windows 8 but updated to 8.1 after doing a clean install . Had a small problem with the desktop, but it was decided , the problem appearing next , which is hampered . I have an external hard disk drives (Seagate Expansion Desktop STBV3000200 and Seagate Expansion Desktop STBV2000200) and they connected USB 3.0 and they are 10-15 minutes away to Sleep mode if they are not to go to when it was Windows 8 was all norms. What I just did not cut off , and in the Device Manager , and More power options all disabled , which could make external hard drives go to Sleep mode.
Here's a question arose , can someone solved this problem or faced it ?
12 REPLIES 12

hmscott
Level 12
Stels wrote:
Good afternoon, everybody . I have a laptop ASUS G750JX before it was installed Windows 8 but updated to 8.1 after doing a clean install . Had a small problem with the desktop, but it was decided , the problem appearing next , which is hampered . I have an external hard disk drives (Seagate Expansion Desktop STBV3000200 and Seagate Expansion Desktop STBV2000200) and they connected USB 3.0 and they are 10-15 minutes away to Sleep mode if they are not to go to when it was Windows 8 was all norms. What I just did not cut off , and in the Device Manager , and More power options all disabled , which could make external hard drives go to Sleep mode.
Here's a question arose , can someone solved this problem or faced it ?

Stels, if you have set the Power Options => Power Plan Advanced Settings => Hard Disk => "Turn off Hard disk after..." set to 0 = Never, then the disks themselves are setting their power options, APM can be set with quiethdd, and that will keep the disks from parking their heads.

https://sites.google.com/site/quiethdd/

These settings will keep APM/AAM in high performance mode, put them in a quiethdd.ini file, and run quiethdd to load the settings at each boot.

FirstRun = 0
AC_APM_Value = 255
DC_APM_Value = 255
AC_AAM_Value = 254
DC_AAM_Value = 254
AAMEnabled = 1
APMEnabled = 1

Thanks for the advice, but external hard drives when viewing the program HDDScanIn in
hard disk 1 Seagate Expansion Desktop STBV2000200 (AAM) enable and (APM) is not supported.
hard disk 2 Seagate Expansion Desktop STBV3000200 (AAM) is not supported (APM) enable.
Of course, I built a team in the program, so that (AAM) and (APM) were supported in hard drives, but I'm not sure that would help.

Stels wrote:
Thanks for the advice, but external hard drives when viewing the program HDDScanIn in
hard disk 1 Seagate Expansion Desktop STBV2000200 (AAM) enable and (APM) is not supported.
hard disk 2 Seagate Expansion Desktop STBV3000200 (AAM) is not supported (APM) enable.
Of course, I built a team in the program, so that (AAM) and (APM) were supported in hard drives, but I'm not sure that would help.

Stels, quiethdd also has a "Disable System Suspend" option in the systray app, did you enable that?

Checked your recommendation, unfortunately shutdown (AAM) and (APM) does not work. Hard disks are still disabled in 10 minutes

HomieOC
Level 7
go to advanced power options.. theres a usb power setting in there just disable it lol

Stels
Level 7
HomieOC Does not work, shut off for a long time.

Stels wrote:
HomieOC Does not work, shut off for a long time.

Are you rebooting after making these settings?

Guys, it looks like a long term bug in Windows 8.1, this active thread tracks from Oct 27 2013 to May 11 2014, to a Windows patch in April broke it again.

"Please install the latest Windows 8.1 update to put an end to this misery.
-Eliyas Yakub [MSFT]"

"Same problem here. Seagate 3T external USB 3 drive. Problem went away for a while but is back with the Windows 8.1 update (April 2014). Drive now sleeps minutes after any use and takes a while to spin up again. - GregConnected "

Windows 8.1 causes external hard drives to auto-sleep?
Beginning
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1-hardware/windows-81-causes-external-hard...
Currently page 9
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1-hardware/windows-81-causes-external-hard...

https://www.google.com/search?q=Windows+8.1+causes+external+hard+drives+to+auto-sleep&ie=utf-8&oe=ut...

My external USB 3.0 drive enclosure with the 1TB HGST drive from the G750JH doesn't have this sleep problem...it stays on all the time, and doesn't disconnect. And, I have updated to the current Windows main/optional patches.

It did not help did all that was written there, set update windos 8.1 update (KB2914219) and still did not help.