cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does this G75/G55 have Thunderbolt? Look for the sticker!

X-ROG
Level 15
If you're in store and wondering if the G55/G75 you've been looking at has Thunderbolt, look for the sticker
(thanks colinoz for the picture).

We've removed the previous stamped logo on all models now (it was removed sometime ago actually, so pictures of earlier models on the net now don't represent exactly what you'll buy).
36 REPLIES 36

Hi guyz, I own a G75VW model, it doesnt have a thunderbolt port, but is there any possibility of getting it(via bios upgrades or driver upgrades??or even hardware upgrades????).:confused: (I'm ready to pay for it).....

hello i have a g75vw-rs72 with the same carved symbol..just enquiring info if my model has thunderbolt?

cheers

What about G46VW. Do they have thunderbolt? Can't find anywhere to buy G46 with thunderbolt!

Where can I find the Thunderbolt driver fro my G75VX? Does not appear to be on the Drivers CD. Yes I have the correct sticker and the BIOS says Thunderbolt is present. My TB device is not recognized. Problem is code 12 in device manager.

coffeepot
Level 7
@p4p4gaio

if it's 3630 it should be the g75 VX model. so far as i know! then it should have thunderbolt.
now to the specific question, if a firmware update could help you. the answer is of course not. 😉 the cause is that it's a hardware configuration between pci and the graphics card.
here: https://thunderbolttechnology.net/tech/how-it-works

and for second: yeah this question was already answered somewhere in this forum. ;D maybe it's the reason for no answer?

But Marshall, do you know already something about the asus g55 with thunderbolt? are there any news?

Thank you for your answer coffepot,

I can confirm with CPU-Z and aida64 that its 3630, but at the same time i can confirm that its g75VW (it appears in the motherboard section of both programs) the link to best buy that i provided in my first post shows that its g75VW too, and it comes with 660m (the g75vx version uses 670mx).

"the cause is that it's a hardware configuration between pci and the graphics card."

Yes i understand, but i'm asking anyway, because maybe this specific model - "BHI7N07" - comes with the hardware but are somehow not ready available because the BIOS is not yet updated. (although very unlikely, i hope this is the case because i want thunderbolt so badly).

"and for second: yeah this question was already answered somewhere in this forum. ;D maybe it's the reason for no answer?"

Please, i`m not the type of noob that ask a question that have already been answered in the forum, because i use the SEARCH BAR. And i can assure you that this specific question regarding thunderbolt avaliability in the model "BHI7N07", has not been answered anywhere in this forum or any other corner of the net. Thank you anyway.

Someone know if its possible to detect thunderbolt in AIDA64 or other similar program, i have the most recent stable version of aida64 and cant find thunderbolt anywhere there (maybe they release support for thunderbolt in future versions?)

Thank`s in advance to all of you.

colinoz
Level 7
MarshallR@ASUS wrote:
If you're in store and wondering if the G55/G75 you've been looking at has Thunderbolt, look for the sticker
(thanks colinoz for the picture).
Your welcome. Thanks for posting this thread.

MobileNeophyte
Level 7
Here's a Thunderbolt related question I've yet to see asked anywhere. If I were to acquire an G75vx/G55vw with Thunderbolt, could I use this cable and still use my M-Audio firewire interface?

Vicodin
Level 10
What can one actually do with this thunderbolt port?

Vicodin wrote:
What can one actually do with this thunderbolt port?

Technically, quite a bit. It's bandwidth is 10Gbps, and it's scope is very wide. Basically, whatever you can do with USB or Firewire, you can do with it. But with that kind of bandwidth, a true external GPU is within the possibilities.