cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

does ASUS plan to sell laptops with delided CPUs

monroe
Level 7
does ASUS plan to sell laptops with delided CPUs ?
20 REPLIES 20

xeromist
EDIT: Nevermind. Listen to Darnassus. 🙂
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Darnassus
Status Under Review
The CPUs ARE delidded, or well, never had a lid in the first place.. they do not have an IHS in laptops. The sink is directly mounted onto the die.

xeromist wrote:
EDIT: Nevermind. Listen to Darnassus. 🙂

Aw ;d ❤️

cl-Albert
US Customer Loyalty Agent
Actually checking this other post from the same customer makes me wonder if they are referring to desktop cpus again since it isn't possible to de-lid a mobile CPU from what little I know about it? Have never seen a mobile CPU with a 'lid' though.
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?95874-Does-ASUS-plan-to-release-laptops-with-intel-desktop...

So, I believe xero's earlier reply before it was edited may still apply , but the question may really be will ASUS sell any notebooks with desktop cpus as mentioned in the other post before we can even start discussing if ASUS will sell any notebooks with de-lidded desktop cpus?

From my quick search online though don't believe any manufacturers were selling any notebooks with de-lidded desktop cpus and it was really the resellers making these modifications and selling them to customers.

Well, I may not be correct about some things here, so feel free to correct me or discuss if anybody has other thoughts. thanks.

cl-Albert wrote:
Actually checking this other post from the same customer makes me wonder if they are referring to desktop cpus again

That was my initial train of thought but we already answered that other thread. So I think Darnassus's reply is the most applicable here.

To cover all the bases I guess we could say that ASUS would not physically modify a CPU for a few degrees of cooling. So if it is made with a lid, it would ship with a lid.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Darnassus
Status Under Review
Oh yeah someone asked about desktop grade CPU's in laptops a while ago. Forgot about that. Well that's going viral now isn't it. ;U

monroe
Level 7
the GPUs are also coming delidded in laptops?

ST9752
Level 10
As noted, NO big OEM whether it be ASUS, Alienware, Dell or otherwise is going to perform a risky modification on a CPU or GPU or any other chip for "enhanced cooling". Chips are used AS SUPPLIED from the manufacturer.

That would be simply asking for trouble. It isn't going to happen period.

ST9752 wrote:
As noted, NO big OEM whether it be ASUS, Alienware, Dell or otherwise is going to perform a risky modification on a CPU or GPU or any other chip for "enhanced cooling". Chips are used AS SUPPLIED from the manufacturer.

That would be simply asking for trouble. It isn't going to happen period.

but @Darnassus already has said that the laptop CPUs are coming delided (or better said: already without any IHS)

Darnassus
Status Under Review
monroe wrote:
but @Darnassus already has said that the laptop CPUs are coming delided (or better said: already without any IHS)

Monroe I'm confused.. what exactly are you trying to ask..?

There's Laptop CPU's that're just the chip with no IHS, so the die is directly pasted to the cooler. Laptops aren't usually expected to be opened and repasted.

There's Desktop CPU's that have the IHS, which spreads the surface area of the CPU, while also allowing better pressure distribution for larger sinks and mounting blocks.

You don't put a Desktop CPU into a Laptop. Too much heat to disperse, more power hungry. No point.

The CPU's we have, the 6700's and above can be overclocked up to 8GHz, so if you want to match a desktop clockrate of 4GHz well, be my guest, though you'll not last very long. ;d

I didn't actually realise you were the one who also posted the "DOES ASUS PLAN TO RELEASE LAPTOPS WITH INTEL DESKTOP CPUS AND DESKTOP NVIDIA GPUS?" thread, and the answer would most likely be no for CPUs not for a long time at least.

The GPU might happen. I believe the ROG Chimera has a Desktop 1080 GPU inside of it.